Question for Women and Black men: PiV-free white husbands?

ok, who, alive today, was affected by slavery? & what are the other reasons?
Hey Dick: I am not in favor of reparations but have been a defender of Affirmative Action for many years. Of course no one alive today was directly affected by American slavery of the 19th century. However, that slavery and subsequent Jim Crow laws and racist practices served to keep black people (we're talking on average here) in a lower socio-economic status than would have been the case if these practices were absent. It is not only the lack of decent jobs but also lower educational opportunities. My white ancestors and probably yours never had to deal with such obstacles. As a result, our ancestors may have experienced somewhat better success in American life than would have been the case if they had to compete with all black citizens on an equal playing field. Reparations are the wrong solution and eventually Affirmative Action will be voided by SCOTUS. But a reasonable person should not have difficulty understanding the societal imbalance.

I agree with what you’re saying, but my husbands ancestors got here in 1870 and 1930, and mine got here in 1910 and 1957,,,no one in our entire gene pool had anything to do with slavery, those that arrived in 1870 from Ireland were considered “those d.runken Micks, those who arrived from Italy in 1910 and 1930 of course where them greasy Wops, or Dago bastards,,,those who got here in 1957 from Puerto Rico had to live down being Spics,,,all of them had to work for two or three generations to earn their place here and achieve the status of lower to middle class citizens. My mom (who was born in Puerto Rico), actually was of Portuguese decent, so all of our ancestors are of white European heritage, so they all lived in New York in white neighborhoods, but the lowest of the low, so white privilege may exist, but not for our families. The single most responsible cause of todays black man’s plight is Lyndon Blaines Johnson, his welfare system, and the entire Democratic Party,,,if they want reparations, get it from them!

I agree with what you’re saying, but my husbands ancestors got here in 1870 and 1930, and mine got here in 1910 and 1957,,,no one in our entire gene pool had anything to do with slavery, those that arrived in 1870 from Ireland were considered “those d.runken Micks, those who arrived from Italy in 1910 and 1930 of course where them greasy Wops, or Dago bastards,,,those who got here in 1957 from Puerto Rico had to live down being Spics,,,all of them had to work for two or three generations to earn their place here and achieve the status of lower to middle class citizens. My mom (who was born in Puerto Rico), actually was of Portuguese decent, so all of our ancestors are of white European heritage, so they all lived in New York in white neighborhoods, but the lowest of the low, so white privilege may exist, but not for our families. The single most responsible cause of todays black man’s plight is Lyndon Blaines Johnson, his welfare system, and the entire Democratic Party,,,if they want reparations, get it from them!
Kudos to your family ancestors. They had to work very hard for what they and you have. There is no question that many Americans embraced prejudices against others of European descent, especially thos from Southern Europe. My comments are aimed at the average rather than the specific. I am sorry that your ancestors had to endure such nasty attitudes.

I’m actually not sorry, they kept their nose to the grindstone, taught their children the world doesn’t revolve around them at an early, instilling in them a work ethic and the fact that you have to earn respect,,,life lessons todays population of parents were obviously lacking, the only problem I see besides that’s their problem, is they’ll wind up taking me down with them. At my age I guess I can look at it like they’ve made my mortality a little more of a “glass half full” kinda thing,,,never thought the fear of death would be replaced with “at least I’ll be dead soon and won’t have to deal with this crap anymore”,,,LOL

my grandparents came from italy in the early 1900s & experienced exactly what you described..

Hey Dick: I am not in favor of reparations but have been a defender of Affirmative Action for many years. Of course no one alive today was directly affected by American slavery of the 19th century. However, that slavery and subsequent Jim Crow laws and racist practices served to keep black people (we're talking on average here) in a lower socio-economic status than would have been the case if these practices were absent. It is not only the lack of decent jobs but also lower educational opportunities. My white ancestors and probably yours never had to deal with such obstacles. As a result, our ancestors may have experienced somewhat better success in American life than would have been the case if they had to compete with all black citizens on an equal playing field. Reparations are the wrong solution and eventually Affirmative Action will be voided by SCOTUS. But a reasonable person should not have difficulty understanding the societal imbalance.
any action of program that is applied on the basis of race is, in fact, racist. if any one is not happy with their status in life, they should do something about it.

stay ib school & get an education, stay out of jail, get a job, get married & raise a family, & in that order.

one's adult life is determined by oneself, no one else.. anything else is just noise.

favoring a black guy over a white guy, based on race, is racist. racism is not a one way street. it goes in both directions.

Wow never thought I read that here- spot on
FYI all mine came here around the turn of the century to 1941

any action of program that is applied on the basis of race is, in fact, racist. if any one is not happy with their status in life, they should do something about it.

stay ib school & get an education, stay out of jail, get a job, get married & raise a family, & in that order.

one's adult life is determined by oneself, no one else.. anything else is just noise.

favoring a black guy over a white guy, based on race, is racist. racism is not a one way street. it goes in both directions.
So you would not be in favor of punishing a bully? For years many white people held black people back in education, in employment, and in opportunities to experience life. And the the offspring of those discriminated against were denied equal status in society due to the discriminatory era. You would be correct to say Aff. Action is discriminatory in attempting to level the playing field, but the ship already sailed on the racist business with 400 years of mistreatment.

Back