Keeping fit

Working out with intensity: moderate weights, lots of sets, lots of repetitions, short breaks. You can do a full body workout at home with dumbbells and kettle bells.

i watch what i eat and run every day. i ran cross country from jr high all the way through college, and still ran every day just to keep in shape (and b/c i love doing it) before the pandemic. i was down to ~4 miles a day but now i'm back up to a little over 6. i also do some yoga at home.

I have been trying to be a little more health conscience these past few months. Better eating habits and workout routines here and there. I need to motivate myself more and kick it into high gear. Time to shed the fat while I still can.
By your pics still looking good thou

I just noticed this thread, and I love it! Great reading what y'all are doing to stay fit! I was overweight and had elevated ******* pressure last year, and it was climbing every time I had it checked. I can't tell you how long I'd been "planning to get in shape" before that, but a doctor's visit last November was the wakeup call I needed. I was never morbidly obese, the weight was mostly proportional and I could suck in my gut, so I don't think anyone ever described me as fat, but I had gotten heavier than I thought, and the doctor told me if I didn't get my BP under control I'd be going on ******* pressure medication. Sorry if this detail is TMI, but this seems like a place I can be candid about such things: chastity play, while working well for my wife and I in daily life, doesn't do men any favors in the virility/stamina/potency departments. I REALLY didn't want to add the side effects of ******* pressure medication to that mix. Plus I wanted to be able to keep up with my *******, not get winded after a couple flights of stairs, dancing to a single song, or a having sex for a minute or two. So I finally took action.

I cut out most pre-packaged foods. It's amazing how high the sodium content in processed food is typically, and how easy it is to think youre eating fairly well, while totally sabotaging yourself with a little microwaved time saver of a "meal" once or twice a day! Cutting them out wasn't even that hard, I just quit buying single serving and heat-and-serve, meal-in-a-box type stuff, and started paying attention to sodium content in the snacks I bought. I still snacked and never went hungry, I just replaced microwave burritos with lunchmeat sandwiches on whole grain bread, and salty snack foods with raw veggies, hummus, fresh fruit, etc. I didn't eliminated carbs, but I cut back on them, and substituted whole grains wherever possible. I cut my drinking by about half, and gradually tapered my portion size. I was never so hardcore about my diet that it felt like a struggle, I just started being mindful of everything I put in my body. I started feeling better almost immediately.

In January, I started a program that involved daily meditation and yoga. Sometimes it was a little as 15 to 20 minutes of yoga, but several days a week it was an hour. By the beginning of February, like 9 or 10 weeks after I started, I had lost 25 lbs.! I was getting better sleep and feeling more present and productive at work. Then the coronavirus hit us. We tried to keep up with yoga, but I've been having shoulder problems and have had to put that on hold. Can barely get my left arm above my head, so I really can't put weight on it in poses like down dog. We've also had to cut corners here and there regarding groceries, depending on what's been available for delivery. So, I've been a little afraid to check my weight or ******* pressure because I was sure I was starting to slip back the other direction. BUT: yesterday when I went to the doctor, I was down another 13 or 14 lbs, almost 40 lbs lighter than I was when I started! My ******* pressure is lower than it's ever been on record with this doctor! I've been biking and hiking with my family and we haven't been going to restaurants since they've all been closed, so apparently I'm still doing ok!

I really want to get yoga back into the mix if I can nurse this shoulder back into shape (hopefully without rotator cuff surgery), and I might actually start lifting weights a bit for real finally. Getting in shape always felt like such a drastic lifestyle change that it was always easier to put it off, but it doesn't have to be that way. Manageable, incremental steps are really not that hard to take, and the reward of feeling better makes you want to keep going. For me at least, its all about doing something long enough to make it a habit. I know I'm still not as good about a workout routine as I hope to be, but feeling good is addictive, and makes you want to keep doing things that make you feel better. Just because my wife fucks other men, that's no excuse to let myself go! ;)

I'm a better husband, parent, professional, and friend now than I was a year ago. It's amazing what a difference each intentional decision about my body and health makes, so I'm trying to keep that in mind when I need motivation. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this diatribe, and thanks to everyone sharing their own regimens. It's great inspiration to read someone post about how they keep in shape and think "I could probably do more of that without too much trouble," and then to look at their pictures and think "man, my wife would be totally drooling over this guy's body, maybe I can get there too!"

Last edited:
Water aerobics is my favorite.
However, since the YMCA/YWCA are closed, I have limited options.
I have an iron gym; but, I'm having a hard time getting started.
. . . (*motivation).

I just noticed this thread, and I love it! Great reading what y'all are doing to stay fit! I was overweight and had elevated ******* pressure last year, and it was climbing every time I had it checked. I can't tell you how long I'd been "planning to get in shape" before that, but a doctor's visit last November was the wakeup call I needed. I was never morbidly obese, the weight was mostly proportional and I could suck in my gut, so I don't think anyone ever described me as fat, but I had gotten heavier than I thought, and the doctor told me if I didn't get my BP under control I'd be going on ******* pressure medication. Sorry if this detail is TMI, but this seems like a place I can be candid about such things: chastity play, while working well for my wife and I in daily life, doesn't do men any favors in the virility/stamina/potency departments. I REALLY didn't want to add the side effects of ******* pressure medication to that mix. Plus I wanted to be able to keep up with my *******, not get winded after a couple flights of stairs, dancing to a single song, or a having sex for a minute or two. So I finally took action.

I cut out most pre-packaged foods. It's amazing how high the sodium content in processed food is typically, and how easy it is to think youre eating fairly well, while totally sabotaging yourself with a little microwaved time saver of a "meal" once or twice a day! Cutting them out wasn't even that hard, I just quit buying single serving and heat-and-serve, meal-in-a-box type stuff, and started paying attention to sodium content in the snacks I bought. I still snacked and never went hungry, I just replaced microwave burritos with lunchmeat sandwiches on whole grain bread, and salty snack foods with raw veggies, hummus, fresh fruit, etc. I didn't eliminated carbs, but I cut back on them, and substituted whole grains wherever possible. I cut my drinking by about half, and gradually tapered my portion size. I was never so hardcore about my diet that it felt like a struggle, I just started being mindful of everything I put in my body. I started feeling better almost immediately.

In January, I started a program that involved daily meditation and yoga. Sometimes it was a little as 15 to 20 minutes of yoga, but several days a week it was an hour. By the beginning of February, like 9 or 10 weeks after I started, I had lost 25 lbs.! I was getting better sleep and feeling more present and productive at work. Then the coronavirus hit us. We tried to keep up with yoga, but I've been having shoulder problems and have had to put hat on hold. We've had to cut corners here and there regarding groceries, depending on what's been available for delivery. I've been afraid to check my weight or ******* pressure because I was sure I was starting to slip back the other direction. BUT, I've been biking and hiking with my family and we haven't been going to restaurants since they've all been closed, and yesterday when I went to the doctor, I was down another 13 or 14 lbs, almost 40 lbs lighter than I was when I started! My ******* pressure is lower than it's ever been on record with this doctor!

I really want to get yoga back into the mix if I can nurse this shoulder back into shape, hopefully without rotator cuff surgery, and might actually start lifting a bit for real finally. Getting in shape always felt like a drastic lifestyle change that it was always easier to put it off, but it doesn't have to be that way. Manageable, incremental steps are really not that hard to take, and the reward of feeling better makes you want to do more. I know I'm still not as good about a workout routine as I hope to be, but feeling good is addictive, and makes you want to keep doing things that make you feel better. Just because my wife fucks other men, that's no excuse to let myself go! ;)

I'm a better husband, parent, professional, and friend now than I was a year ago. It's amazing what a difference each intentional decision about my body and health makes, so I'm trying to keep that in mind when I need motivation. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this diatribe, and thanks to everyone sharing their own regimens. It's great inspiration to read someone post about how they keep in shape and think "I could probably do more of that without too much trouble," and then to look at their pictures and think "man, my wife would be totally drooling over this guy's body, maybe I can get there too!"

This is truly inspiring. It's not just about appearances. Your body is your temple so taking care of what's inside is possibly more important than what's outside!

I designed my own dance aerobics and body sculpting program 12 years ago which I have continued to add to and update. I wanted something fun that would have me sticking with it. I have over 100 individual songs to which I've choreographed stretches, warm ups, high impact and low impact dance aerobics and muscle toning routines into over 200 different workouts, most of about 1 hour but some specially-focused ones of 20-35 minutes.

They are all easily modifiable which helps me keep at it through injuries, hip replacements (yeah, 2) and rehab. It's 'portable' - only need my headphones and iPod or phone and space of about 10' x 10'. Hand or ankle weights are designed for muscle toning but are absolutely necessary. Works best with a non-carpeted floor that allows my feet to slide a bit. I've done this workout staying in hotels (in their gym as well as in my room!), at the beach, on cruise ships and in my condo.

I will admit, however, that the mental taxing of the pandemic has really tested my discipline and I haven't done it nearly as much as I should or even really want to. On a 'regular', normal basis, I do it about 3x/week. The most fun isn't just doing it but picking the songs I like and coming up with the choreography. Shazam is one of my favorite apps, as I've picked up songs while wandering in stores in malls, in train stations and airports, watching TV commercials and in movie scores. I take dance steps and exercise moves from everywhere and anywhere and incorporate them into my routines and workouts. I'm an equal opportunity dance step/exercise workout program thief. Right now, I've got about 15 songs yet to choreograph and looking forward to it helps keep my sanity during this pandemic.

Working out.jpg

Back