Death Penalty: For or Against

• I'm for the Death Penalty

Votes: 96 65.8%
  • I'm against the Death Penalty

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
LWOP inmates don't have an out date, they've got the chance to appeal, and judges can modify a sentence, governors can grant clemency.

People mistake life without parole for things like dual back to back life sentences of say 100 years… So 200 years total… Let's say they must serve 3/4 of the sentence thats 150 years… With some credit time, they would be eligible for parole in say 147 years… Even with modifications, a judge cannot reduce a sentence that long so dramatically that the person would be released in say 20 years… The state could appeal that…

Executions serve a purpose, there are some individuals who are on death row because they would be a threat to themselves or other inmates and society if they were given a 50 year sentence. It has nothing to do with eye for eye or anything biblical. Barbaric? No.

to be honest if you spent 30 or 40 years in prision this is a painful situation...it's not a joke
so life imprisonment could be mitigated according to international laws.:)
anyway international laws are less than words....every country does what it wants!

Last edited:
So this gets me musing. Why is there such a strong stance on this from the far side of the Pond? Is the difference just down to what we've been brought up as normal and rationalise it to suit our realities?

Always remember the person with 30-40 years has a lot more to loose than the LWOP or life sentence. The risks someone may take when they know they will be imprisoned are far greater than the person with a definite out date.

Easyuk… International law really doesn't apply. In the United States, parole hearings happen because that is how our correctional/justice system works… It has nothing to do with international law, it has everything to do with the concept (I use concept on purpose) of imprisonment, justice and rehabilitation of offenders.

Easyuk… International law really doesn't apply. In the United States, parole hearings happen because that is how our correctional/justice system works… It has nothing to do with international law, it has everything to do with the concept (I use concept on purpose) of imprisonment, justice and rehabilitation of offenders.

International law is created as a consequence of national laws. That's why I cited it.

If the US took particular notice of international law there wouldn't be "enhanced interrogation" or the need for orange jump suits in Guantanamo Bay :)

Most criminal behavior happens when the perpetrators are under 25 YO. By the time they are 35 or 40 the criminal behavior seems to burn out. The exception are the real sociopaths and pedophiles, both of these have no known method of reliable rehabilitation. Killers and thieves unless they are sociopaths tend to be low risk. States that make an effort to re educate have a recidivism rate well below that of states that just warehouse inmates. It costs a lot of money to keep a person in prison. A much more logical approach is to prepare the person to be a productive member of society. A person successfully integrated back into society become a tax payer instead of a liability. The United States has more people in prison than any other country, we also have longer sentences than most other countries

this remind me the "bible".... eye for an eye...barbaric and useless
That would be the old testament, Quilla. Seeing as how long ago the old testament was written, it would be rather barbaric. It speaks of the wrath of God and the "coming".
The new testament, however, speaks of the grace of God and the ministry of Jesus' love & forgiveness.
Mac

Last edited:
That would be the old testament, Quilla. Seeing as how long ago the old testament was written, it would be rather barbaric. It speaks of the wrath of God and the "coming".
The new testament, however, speaks of the grace of God and the ministry of Jesus' love & forgiveness.
Mac
I heard Christians believe in old testament too
So "eye for an eye law" isn't repealed (anyway how could a god make a law and then repeals his own law...what kind of god is this? how could a god change his mind?)

I heard Christians believe in old testament too
So "eye for an eye law" isn't repealed (anyway how could a god make a law and then repeals his own law...what kind of god is this? how could a god change his mind?)
Quilla, its pretty hard to determine who real Christians are these days, just as its hard separating the true believers of Islam from the fanatics that like to say they are. I honestly think these people just feel a need to belong to a club or something. A lot of the evangelicals love thinking of themselves as "God's Chosen Children", but if and when the rapture occurs, I have a feeling a lot of 'em are going to find themselves culled out and left behind.
Today's real Christians live by the King James version of the bible ... that would be the new testament. It might help, if you're going to comment on Christianity, that you at least research it a bit. Wouldn't hurt!

and all those innocent people executed or awaiting execution in jail? :/
Quilla, I'm just wondering IF there is any situation in which you would support the death penalty?
Let me give you a real event situation; you call it.

A young couple hired a 16 year old female to babysit their 5 year old ******* while the parents went out to a party with friends; they were gone only a few hours. I'll spare you the graphics of details. When the couple returned, they found the babysitter dead, their ******* gone, and some items (jewelry mostly) stolen in the home. A month later, they found the body of the young girl, who had been raped, strangled, and body dumped at the edge of a landfill.

Luckily, there was a baby monitor in a couple of the rooms and everything was recorded. Two white males, in their late 20's were later caught. Some jewelry was found in the possession of one of the two men. The little girl's body was so decomposed that no convicting DNA could be recovered, however, both men blamed the other for the girl's death.

You call it, Quilla. You are the mom of that slain little girl, you have video proof of the men killing the babysitter and taking your baby, who is later found dead. Death Penalty or Not?
gif_judge-guilty.gif ........gif_JailBird02.gif

Last edited:
Back