Politics, Politics, Politics

there should NEVER be a need to ******* the minimum wage... never if you could trust corps to pay a decent working wage... and maybe reward your employees with just a small portion of what they gave the CEO it would go a lot further in promoting a better working relationship.... but to many companies anymore really don't care about their service or quality of work... they want the cheapest output and the maximum intake... guess that's fine... but that boils down to greed!

Which is why we need laws to promote fairness in the workplace. But until we change the mind set of corporate America we will be in a revolving door that never stops.

Which is why we need laws to promote fairness in the workplace. But until we change the mind set of corporate America we will be in a revolving door that never stops.
that just like biz won't happen... to much money involved there.... there is no such thing anymore as a politician willing to work for the people... they are just as corrupt.... we will have to just continue on this course until.....like my radical friend with the 4Ar's says... we need to take up arms!
not sure where we are going.... but I think it will be drastic to get the changes needed... maybe a full blown recession? I don't know... but we can't stay on the course we are.... we are going to hell in a hand basket!

so so wrong!.... people who have the money and the opportunity to pay better so that they can have valued employees DON'T they would rather take the money and.....I will give you a good example... a maet processing place in Iowa... was union andm paid good benefits... people worked there long enough to retire out of there.... they broke the union bu changing the name of the company....they bought an old school bldg. across the street that had been empty since the opening of the packing house.... people would drive by and see sheets on the windows and lights inside... the police raided it and found 300 Mexicans inside... all illegal and all working for the packing comp... the packing house was fined and etc... changed it's name... 2 years later the packing house was again raided and found several hundred more illegals.... you can stand on your pedestal and preach ethics all you want there are some nasty friggn biz people out there!... if you read back in this thread I went on about this before I mentioned several biz same thing... one I worked for during the time they got rid of all their skilled workers and brought in anyone that would take the job and they could teach... so get off the pedestal and look around... apparently you shoot off a lot and know nothing... not that I know it all but I do know of several corrupt biz people!View attachment 886553
Dude dont tell me about business....i worked in union and non union factories my whole life and i can tell you that unions are way out of control and hurt business more than they help it.

Well if a company wants valued employees then they do what they can to keep them or they leave or the company goes under but i dont think just because you sweep the floors at ford motor company you are entitled to make 30 dollars an hour because the company or the CEO make a big profit.

The current place i work at has guys making 27 bucks an hour and you can walk right in without any skill with a high school diploma and be trained in that job and there you go.....i am salaried and have a 4 year degree and barely make more than they do but the first people to bitch about the contract is the union, how they dont make enough money or want more overtime.

there should NEVER be a need to ******* the minimum wage... never if you could trust corps to pay a decent working wage... and maybe reward your employees with just a small portion of what they gave the CEO it would go a lot further in promoting a better working relationship.... but to many companies anymore really don't care about their service or quality of work... they want the cheapest output and the maximum intake... guess that's fine... but that boils down to greed!

Your right you shoukd not have to ******* the minimum wage but look at mcdonalds, the employees in some places want 12 or more an hour. The mcdonalds near me is a joke, they can get orders right and are soooo slow. But yet the workers want 12 an hour....i hate to say it but why would mcdonalds ever pay that much when they cant get decent workers. Pride in your work doesnt exiat a whole lot anymore, people just dont care.

Your right you shoukd not have to ******* the minimum wage but look at mcdonalds, the employees in some places want 12 or more an hour. The mcdonalds near me is a joke, they can get orders right and are soooo slow. But yet the workers want 12 an hour....i hate to say it but why would mcdonalds ever pay that much when they cant get decent workers. Pride in your work doesnt exiat a whole lot anymore, people just dont care.

Actually, from what I am seeing, they are getting rid of most of their employees at McD's and going to kiosks for ordering, paying, and I believe food delivery. At least a computer won't get your order wrong and it will save McD's a hell of a lot in cost. Their stock will probably double. So what are liberals going to do when most of the McD employees are fired and McD's can no longer be used as a first starter job or to supplement income in old age? Probably demand $30 per hour for the employees that remain. lol.
I love this talk of the "living wage" resulting in $15 per hour. What is a living wage in Fort Worth, Texas is not even close to a "living wage" in San Francisco, Boston, or New York. To be "fair" they would have to have the minimum wage on a sliding scale, like they do in the Philippines. Look how well that has worked out for them.

Actually, from what I am seeing, they are getting rid of most of their employees at McD's and going to kiosks for ordering, paying, and I believe food delivery. At least a computer won't get your order wrong and it will save McD's a hell of a lot in cost. Their stock will probably double. So what are liberals going to do when most of the McD employees are fired and McD's can no longer be used as a first starter job or to supplement income in old age? Probably demand $30 per hour for the employees that remain. lol.
I love this talk of the "living wage" resulting in $15 per hour. What is a living wage in Fort Worth, Texas is not even close to a "living wage" in San Francisco, Boston, or New York. To be "fair" they would have to have the minimum wage on a sliding scale, like they do in the Philippines. Look how well that has worked out for them.

Thats an excellent point, the living wage cannot be close to the same everywhere.

Plus what happens in my union shop when the contract is up and they are ready to vote on a new one having just found out the minimum wage in PA has now increased to $16 an hour, which is a dollar less than the starting union job where i work.....you dont think they will want a huge raise too!

I can see companies doubling up on work loads and cutting # of employees. Since the people ****** them to pay more, Companies will ******* the employee to more than earn it. Not saying it's right - it's just going to happen.

I can see companies doubling up on work loads and cutting # of employees. Since the people ****** them to pay more, Companies will ******* the employee to more than earn it. Not saying it's right - it's just going to happen.

Probably not so much, because of ACA (Obamacare). They say anyone working over 30 hours a week must be covered by the employer. They have redefined full employment to 30 hours per week, instead of 40. Companies will not want the cost of Obamacare, so they will just fire as many as they can to stay under the 30 hours per week, unless we can get it repealed.

Probably not so much, because of ACA (Obamacare). They say anyone working over 30 hours a week must be covered by the employer. They have redefined full employment to 30 hours per week, instead of 40. Companies will not want the cost of Obamacare, so they will just fire as many as they can to stay under the 30 hours per week, unless we can get it repealed.

True, Assuming they are all part time. But in a factory that has more than 50 full time they have to pay ACA anyways.

Dude dont tell me about business....i worked in union and non union factories my whole life and i can tell you that unions are way out of control and hurt business more than they help it.
so have I... and I don't see it that way!... I have worked as a union member in a couple of shops and non-union in a couple more.... yes unions have some bad apples.... but for the most part they protect employees from a employer in a bad mood or what ever and they get wages and benefits.... even in one shop I worked it was union and I was management... but because of what the union employees got we were given same benefits... so get off this ******* I have done this and that... so has other people!
your bad opinion of unions must be because you were in a union shop fucked up and got canned and expected the union to work a miracle... see people like you all the time.... one of them is now a Senator... Chuck Grassley! from Iowa... had 3 of the best union jobs you can get... and got fired from all 3 and now a union hater!... his last job at Hy-Vee warehouse... they said he took the news paper into the head and stayed for over an hour or two every morning... got canned!
there are all kinds of people like you... got the axe and now hate unions

I love this talk of the "living wage" resulting in $15 per hour. What is a living wage in Fort Worth, Texas is not even close to a "living wage" in San Francisco, Boston, or New York. To be "fair" they would have to have the minimum wage on a sliding scale, like they do in the Philippines
kind of funny ... when I worked for the airlines. (union)... it was the same pay pretty much nation wide... but each city had "perks"... because of the difference in living standards around the country (cost of living standards) employees in NYC area were supplied with transportation to and from work at one time... caif some places were given 2 hours overtime pay without ever working the overtime

so have I... and I don't see it that way!... I have worked as a union member in a couple of shops and non-union in a couple more.... yes unions have some bad apples.... but for the most part they protect employees from a employer in a bad mood or what ever and they get wages and benefits.... even in one shop I worked it was union and I was management... but because of what the union employees got we were given same benefits... so get off this ******* I have done this and that... so has other people!
your bad opinion of unions must be because you were in a union shop fucked up and got canned and expected the union to work a miracle... see people like you all the time.... one of them is now a Senator... Chuck Grassley! from Iowa... had 3 of the best union jobs you can get... and got fired from all 3 and now a union hater!... his last job at Hy-Vee warehouse... they said he took the news paper into the head and stayed for over an hour or two every morning... got canned!
there are all kinds of people like you... got the axe and now hate unions

Nope never been canned ever......but we have lots of folks in the union that could be canned......they get the protection of the union and figure they cant be touched and for the most part they are right so its a breeding ground for folks being lazy and getting away with it.

This isnt 1860, people dont need unions like they used too. There are no employers forsing guys to work 16 hour shifts in deplorable conditions.... we have osha for safety now. Now we get guys making 27 bucks an hour and probably only work 6 real hours then punch out early....when they get written up the union reps show up to protect them.....its a joke! And fyi i dont and have never belonged to a union....i am in management. To be honest if i ever leave my current job i will never work in a union shop again.

This isnt 1860, people dont need unions like they used too
they don't?.... seems to me since the decline of unions the wages have gone down in the US.... the benefits have decreased... we are working longer hours... all that was a standard set by unions... I'm not saying they were perfect... they did sometimes protect those who should have been out the door.... but they also protect against employers who for one reason or another just decide they don't want you around anymore either.... with the decline of unions so has the working conditions and etc!

Oh? how so?
what they call "company employees"... worked as a service writer for a car dealership for a while... paid strictly by the week... and it was way more than 40 hours... every week... you started early to write the tickets as the customer brought the cars in and dropped them off.... and you were expected to stay until all your customers picked their cars up so you could explain the repairs.... just part of the job... all for a straight wage... later it was changed to give you a commission on what you sold... to encourage you to sell more repairs to customer and compensate for the longer hours.... I know of other jobs pretty much the same.... workers do pretty much get OT... but not "company" people

It used to piss me off also to see the union mechanics sitting around drinking their coffee and eating donuts while I am running around writing up the repair orders and listening to the customer complaints... then they clock in and go about their work... at the end of the day they clock out and go home while I wait around for different customers to come pick up their cars and explain the bill if needed... sucked!.... later when we got the sales commission it wasn't so bad... you did earn more... but the hours didn't change.... worked it for over a year until I took a job as a mechanic in a dealership and I got those 40 hour weeks... liked that... but only worked it for about 5 years... just not my cup of tea... went to work for the airlines... and there became a firm believer in unions.... some management there just plain assholes... would expect you to do all kinds of stuff no matter the risk of injury... made good money but hurt my back... bad!... was later offered 2 choices.. a buy out... which I didn't think was all that great at my young age at the time... or a "company job"... I took the job ordering parts which paid well... not as good but I did still have the benefits... and did get my back fixed... that led to another job which I have now in sales for a different company.... I really lucked out here and got a few good accounts company impressed and gave me a couple more and let me work from home

Bottom line I firmly believe in unions being a necessary evil for workers and for the country!... with the decline of unions so has wages and etc!

but they also protect against employers who for one reason or another just decide they don't want you around anymore either.

And the employer should have that right. Why should I be ****** to keep an employee that is no longer needed?

what they call "company employees"... worked as a service writer for a car dealership for a while... paid strictly by the week... and it was way more than 40 hours... every week... you started early to write the tickets as the customer brought the cars in and dropped them off...

You can't relate everything to a specific job. If you hired into that job - knowing the details, then it's on you. No one ****** you to work there. Part of the reason why companies get away with things like this is becasue there is always someone willing to do it. If no one agreed to their terms the company would have to change them, would they not? Sounds to me they were doing something illegal and you could have went to the labor board, you can't pay someone "by the week" or do you mean "salary". Then depending, you are usually entitled OT after 45 or 50 hours.
Here is a review of OT laws on the fed level, most state laws are usually better.
https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/overtime

Besides, you stated the laws are more relaxed now, yet you gave me an example of then. Do you have links showing where the laws were recently relaxed? Obama just recently strengthen some of the OT laws - were you aware of that? Probably the only good thing he did in the past 7 years.

Back