OT - Anyone else watching World Cup?

True, but how are they going to do with losing van persie a few years ago, sanga now, and losing out on fabergas? Ramsey, Walcott, and Chamberlain can only take them so far.

As an aside, if there are any members from England reading this thread, what are the London tabloids saying today about the team and yesterday's match?

I'm going to assume that they have some moves planned for the summer transfer window.
If they do, Wenger is tight lipped, as usual. A lot of people think Cesc was a MAJOR part or Arsne's plans. But Arsne was the one who turned down the option. He must know something. Cesc is only 27. But whatever those plans are, Arsne has about 5 planks nailed over his mouth. lol

As an aside, if there are any members from England reading this thread, what are the London tabloids saying today about the team and yesterday's match?
I would imagine the British press is *******, as usual. But it really did not surprise me. Italy is not on a level with Argentina and others, but they are good. England has no teamwork. Too many individual (unfounded) egos. I do not think England will make it out of the group stage. Sadly, I do not think the USA will make it out of groups either. You DO NOT leave Landon Donovan off your team!!!!

I have had to turn off the Switzerland-Ecuador game. It seems that I'm bad luck for every team I cheer for if I actually watch the game. Hoping that Switzerland will do better if I'm not watching. :)

I would imagine the British press is *******, as usual. But it really did not surprise me. Italy is not on a level with Argentina and others, but they are good. England has no teamwork. Too many individual (unfounded) egos. I do not think England will make it out of the group stage. Sadly, I do not think the USA will make it out of groups either. You DO NOT leave Landon Donovan off your team!!!!

England still has a chance to get 6 points and advance, but like always, they're going to crash out before the quarterfinals. Perhaps you're right and it's the lack of cohesion, but it's kind of weird that every four years, and in the Euro's in between, their World Cup squad seems to have the same issue. And it certainly doesn't help them that they haven't won since 1966 and that the media scrutiny on their squad is ten fold the pressure on any professional sports team in North America that plays in a market with rabid fans and a predatory media (think New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, etc, etc). I think Roy Hodgson is going to be out when the World Cup is over.

I'm not very optimistic about the USMNT's chances. The first games is huge, Ghana is their kryptonite and if they can't get 3 points from that match it will take an act of God to get them through, because they aren't beating Germany. Don't be shocked if Ghana makes it to the Knockout Stage with Germany, as I think Portugal is a tad bit vulnerable, especially if Cristiano Ronaldo's tendonitis gives him problems.

The big story in the first four days has to be Spain, because they are in deep trouble, not because they lost, but because of the goal differential. Assuming Netherlands handles Australia, if Chile ties Spain, then all Chile would have to do is draw with Netherlands to advance and eliminate Spain. If Netherlands beats Chile, then Spain has to beat Australia by a wide margin and hope Netherlands blows out Chile. Of course, if Spain beats Chile, then all they have to do is beat Australia, but there would still be goal differential implications. It's been done before with smaller goal differentials, but the math is not on Spain's side.

Anybody watching Argentina/Bosnia Herzegovina? Classic David vs. Goliath as this is Bosnia's first ever World Cup match. Hopefully the crowd gets behind Bosnia and gives them a shot in the arm.

England still has a chance to get 6 points and advance, but like always, they're going to crash out before the quarterfinals. Perhaps you're right and it's the lack of cohesion, but it's kind of weird that every four years, and in the Euro's in between, their World Cup squad seems to have the same issue. And it certainly doesn't help them that they haven't won since 1966 and that the media scrutiny on their squad is ten fold the pressure on any professional sports team in North America that plays in a market with rabid fans and a predatory media (think New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles, Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens, New York Knicks, Los Angeles Lakers, etc, etc). I think Roy Hodgson is going to be out when the World Cup is over.

I'm not very optimistic about the USMNT's chances. The first games is huge, Ghana is their kryptonite and if they can't get 3 points from that match it will take an act of God to get them through, because they aren't beating Germany. Don't be shocked if Ghana makes it to the Knockout Stage with Germany, as I think Portugal is a tad bit vulnerable, especially if Cristiano Ronaldo's tendonitis gives him problems.

The big story in the first four days has to be Spain, because they are in deep trouble, not because they lost, but because of the goal differential. Assuming Netherlands handles Australia, if Chile ties Spain, then all Chile would have to do is draw with Netherlands to advance and eliminate Spain. If Netherlands beats Chile, then Spain has to beat Australia by a wide margin and hope Netherlands blows out Chile. Of course, if Spain beats Chile, then all they have to do is beat Australia, but there would still be goal differential implications. It's been done before with smaller goal differentials, but the math is not on Spain's side.

I think your analysis of the Netherlands group is spot on. I think England is a waste of oxygen this year. Too many egos. And you are right. Hodgson will be out after the cup. I think the main problem with the USMNT is again, egos. Let me rephrase that. One Ego. Klinnsman. He could not stand to have someone as famous as him on the team (Donovan). And that ego will get them crushed. I picked them to beat Ghana originally, but now am rethinking it.

Back