OT - Anyone else watching World Cup?

Certainly, I don't overlook Brazil, I expect them to be in the final. Whether they win it is debate able, there are a lot of good teams in the knockout stage, but they all have weaknesses.
well brazil have to play columbia ,,which they will win ,,so they in the semis accordin to my bf,,lol i think usa pretty gud to,,so well see

In World Cup 2014 I observe that the different methods of football are dying and everyone plays the same football. There is no school Brazil, school of England, school of Germany, school of Italy or anything else... There will be no talents or legends like Pele, Maradona, Klinsmann, Paul Gascoine, Roberto Baggio, Eric Cantona, Paolo Maldini... All teams play very sistematically but they play the same football.

They are on opposite sides of the bracket, so the only way they could meet would be the final, a rematch of the 1974 final, although Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff won't be taking the pitch.

View attachment 411466
Well, Colombia and brazil are already in. I pick Netherlands and Costa Rica today. My final is Germany vs. Netherlands. I haven't decided who will win yet. But I think the USA has a good shot to get to the final four.

They are on opposite sides of the bracket, so the only way they could meet would be the final, a rematch of the 1974 final, although Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff won't be taking the pitch.

View attachment 411466
Don't mean to sound negative, but if that happens, the Netherlands will *******, again. Twice in a row in the 70s and twice in a row again. Just like my beloved Mexico in the Round of 16:(

Well, Colombia and brazil are already through, I picked Netherlands and Costa Rica today. My final is Germany vs. Netherlands. I haven't decided who will win yet. But I think the USA has a good shot to get to the final four.

Fantastic match between Netherlands and Mexico, I was all ready to shovel dirt on Oranje's grave once it reached the 80th minute. If not for Ochoa and the save he made off Robben's corner and Blind's redirection in the 57th minute and his stop of Robben in the 74th minute from the right side of the box, this woule have been a blowout, because Mexico put nothing together offensively after Dos Santos scored. I didn't look at the box score, but from my perspective it looked like Netherlands had the ball 65-70% of the match and completed a similar percentage of passes.

If the Netherlands will play like this the will be champion

They certainly have the talent to do so, and their path to the semifinal and final looks easier than the other side of the bracket. However, anything can happen, and this is largely the same team that laid an egg at Euro 2012. This is the last realistic shot at a World Cup for this generation of Dutch stars (Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt, et al) and to take their place with the Van Basten/Gullit team that won Euro 1988.

They certainly have the talent to do so, and their path to the semifinal and final looks easier than the other side of the bracket. However, anything can happen, and this is largely the same team that laid an egg at Euro 2012. This is the last realistic shot at a World Cup for this generation of Dutch stars (Van Persie, Robben, Sneijder, Kuyt, et al) and to take their place with the Van Basten/Gullit team that won Euro 1988.
hello I have money on Germany , always hard to beat, love costa rica. you know your football!

hello I have money on Germany , always hard to beat, love costa rica. you know your football!

Costa Rica is a great story, as the Pirate Ship would have been if they had won, being what football people refer to as the minnows in this field.

I have to confess that after the US obviously, I always root for Die Mannschaft. My first exposure to soccer was the 1982 and 1986 World Cup Finals where those great West German teams lost to Italy and Argentina, respectively, before beating Argentina in the 1990 Final after the reunification. Also, because they perennially are "always the bridesmaids but never the bride", I have a soft spot for the Dutch.

Thanks for the compliment, but I also have to confess that I never played soccer aside from gym class and I've only really been watching European soccer for 7-8 years. For most of my youth, the only exposure Americans had to European club football was through FIFA licensed video games. In that respect, I'm a relative newbie and I believe that those who have pplayed the game and more steeped in its culture are much more knowledgeable than me.

I grew up playing baseball and American football, and I've coached American football on the high school level for 15 years, so I can appreciate the strategic aspect to the game. To me, in a lot of ways, soccer has strategic elements of basketball, hockey, and lacrosse, as well as its cousin rugby, so the general concept of the game is easy to grasp.

Hubby here. I'm in Costa Rica now (wife home, not too lonely). Anyway, the Tico win over Greece last night was a very big deal.
Watching Germany--Algeria in a Costa Rican sports bar now.

Imperial, although I have a Pilsen draft.
Not much cheering, but more for Algeria as would be easier to beat down the road than Germany.
That said, muted as there are several German tourists in here and Ticks are polite.

*ticos damn autocorrect

LOL, I knew what you meant :)

I'm at home watching, yesterday I watched Netherlands/Mexico at a local pizza place. Most of the guys doing the cooking are Mexican so there was obviously a rooting interest. There is a German restaurant in Philly, Brauhhas Schmitz I think, that has been a hub for German fans during the World Cup.

Back