How and when did the term " thick" become a complimentary term to describe a woman's body?

I might have to do a podcast episode on this topic, but a lot of terms that you hear in the lifestyle were started by black man in the hip hop culture.
PHAT
THICC
WHOOTY
PHATTY
PAWG
SlimThick
JUNK
BRICKHOUSE
snow bunny

We use totally different words to describe women. A lot of white women will be TOTALLY CONFUSED unless you hang out with black men 😂😂😂

The other day I was doing a photoshoot with a very Curvy cute white woman. She had never heard the term PAWG before in her Life. I had to break it down for her 😎

View attachment 3126350

I described my gf as a PAWG in our first post here, and she asked what that meant! She now knows;)

I for one was insulted when I first heard someone describe me that way...

I've come to learn that it's complimentary and now like being described that way.

BTW, it was a very handsome and athletic Black Man who taught me better.
Mrs J and myself are of an age when using "thick" to describe someone, of any gender meant stupid. If I called Mrs J thick, I would probably end up with a "thick lip".:(. To describe a curvy woman I prefer shapely, curvaceous, voluptuous, statuesque or Rubenesque .:lips:😈

Date night Nov 4th '19 802.JPGDate night Nov 4th '19 805.JPG2019-06-18 Date Weekend 027.JPGapril 2019 462.JPGDate night 3 008.JPGNew tat 2.JPGweekend  8.JPG

Last edited:
Being Latino thickness was always considered a sexy quality. You saw it in early snowbunnies way before the Kardashians or Danielle Gregoli. They imitated women like JLo, Lil Kim, etc. Thongs peeking out over the jeans, hoop earrings, baby hair, a blaccent...etc. You can see white women in thongs in 2 live crew videos. if they hung around where they could find Black men (and latino men to a certain extent), they were showing off. It's just getting more prevalent now.

My second home city of Atlanta got a brotha spoiled when the term "thick" is used! Damn, shawty, I was like a little kid in a candy store seeing so many thick women in Atlanta because I didn't really see that many thick women in the A.U.G.! A thick woman who has the neat waist with the thunda thighs is a beautiful thing to see especially if she has a PHAT ass!

Thick women have been in for decades within the black and Latino community.

It just recently within the last 20 years started getting acceptable within the white community.

I rarely hear about women having eating problems like been in the 90s starving themselves to keep up with societal pressure of what's beautiful
My husband is Puerto Rican and when I first met him I was pissed when he said I had a fat ass 😂

I for one was insulted when I first heard someone describe me that way...

I've come to learn that it's complimentary and now like being described that way.

BTW, it was a very handsome and athletic Black Man who taught me better.

In the black community, years ago. But that's usually how it is: it's popular in the black communities for a while before mainstream (whites) catch on.

Keep in mind, many black men prefer curvier women. Not all, but many have for years.

Mrs J and myself are of an age when using "thick" to describe someone, of any gender meant stupid. If I called Mrs J thick, I would probably end up with a "thick lip".:(. To describe a curvy woman I prefer shapely, curvaceous, voluptuous, statuesque or Rubenesque .:lips:😈

View attachment 3127082View attachment 3127083View attachment 3127084View attachment 3127085View attachment 3127091View attachment 3127092View attachment 3127093

lol I have NEVER heard a black male use the term rubunesque... lol

Amazing the differences between races. lol

But I bet she starts to like the term "thick" if the right person says it... lol

Last edited:
Back