How and when did the term " thick" become a complimentary term to describe a woman's body?

Back in the '60s, before mainstream or music heard on the radio could "tell it like it is" about sex, there were other ways of saying what men liked about women (and I'm talking black men and women). A popular blues song back then done by lots of musicians was "Big Leg Woman." It talks about how everything about a big legged woman was what the singer liked - including the clothes she wore that were especially tight. Of course, it was "thickness" the song was talking about. You can't have a big leg woman without big thighs and a big ass. The idea of liking thickness has been expressed in mainstream black culture going way back to (and before) the Great Migration.

Also, as a young boy, the contrast was that you didn't like or were attracted to white American women physically because they were known to traditionally have flat asses. Of course, there were always the big-ass Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell types and they were - um-hm - big ass, big tittied women. And I discovered later in life that there were more than enough thick white women to go around and enjoy...

(And that's not even getting to what women were considered the most desirable for bearing children in many African tribes, which made big hipped, thick women the most sexually desirable...)
🙏🙏🙏🙏

I for one was insulted when I first heard someone describe me that way...

I've come to learn that it's complimentary and now like being described that way.

BTW, it was a very handsome and athletic Black Man who taught me better.
Had no idea it was a compliment, i do not see it that way at all...then again my wife is fit and skinny AF and that's what i like, so makes sense i would see it that way.

I've come to learn that it's complimentary and now like being described that way.

Spread the word. When a Black man tells you that it’s a compliment and means he wants to appreciate those sexy curves.

No matter how many times I see what you've got... :love:

I feel so behind in the terminology in general. It seems like they are coming out for anagrams and terms for everything anymore. I've always heard thic was a slang way of saying curvy but maybe I am wrong. Do they have a chart when you can tell if you've gone from thic to curvy or full figured and what the signs are?

It means thick in the right places. So a skinny girl can be thick as well, if she has a booty. Ya know, the kind with junk in da trunk.

I honestly think that black men and women made it a thing.

Some people may hate to admit it, but black culture almost always drives American culture and fitness.

Back