White, Black, Yellow?

Have you ever wondered why people never (hardly ever?) use the adjective 'yellow' to refer to Asian people in normal conversation?

Anyone would say: 'My phys ed teacher is white' or 'My neighbors are black'.

But who would say: 'His wife is yellow'.

What's your take on that?

Have you ever wondered why people never (hardly ever?) use the adjective 'yellow' to refer to Asian people in normal conversation?

As a c.hild... I got the impression "yellow" was unintentionally derogatory... As I wasn't exposed to many asian people. Speaking of and interacting with asians wasn't commonplace. When referring to asians they were all "Chinese"...even if they weren't. I think the terms Black and white are so entrenched in our society... It's "normal" to refer to the respective groups that way... Yellow not so much.

I don't think I've really ever heard the term "yellow" actually used in a sentence, description at all, ever. This is one of those 420 queries that can have you start at one end, then completely out in left field with the end result being a grub hub order of lemon pepper wings 🤪🤣

Back