Politics, Politics, Politics

Torp,
You know me. We have talked often enough before. I am truly sorry for your friends. That is an EXTREMELY difficult situation to be in. How do I know? I suffer from migraines at least a couple times per month.
When I have a migraine, depending on how bad, the whole world stops. I don't want to see my *******. I don't want to talk to people. Nothing. Hell, I don't want to exist. It hurts so much. People with normal headaches, I think the only way I can describe it is: watch "Despicable Me" 1 or 2. Imagine 50 or so of those minions inside of your head. ALL of them with sledgehammers!!! ALL of them wanting to be outside of your head!!!!!! THAT is how much it hurts!!! (HEY MAC! A little help with one of your crazy cartoons would be REALLY appreciated right now!!! lol.). Yes. It is that serious. The nausea. The pain. You do not want life to go on.
And honestly, I appreciate the sentiments of what you say. But to tell the truth? There just is no "fixing this". It is what it is. We deal with it because we have to.
My main point is if I had her Cluster Headaches I could remain hospitalized until the nausea was under control. I would have better hydration and better pain management. After three days she was out of the hospital. usually with suppositories for nausea and the advice to ******* a sports ******* like Gatoraide to prevent dehydration. If your Migraines aren't well managed you should try the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago. My late wife suffered from migraines and they were able to greatly reduce the severity and frequency of the attacks. I got better results for her there than I did at Mayo.

Read an article this morning that got me thinking.
It was about people that have served significant time in prison then are exonerated and proven to be innocent.
My life by most measures has been more successful than most. But when I was 18 there was nothing I can think of that would have make me stand out that would have given any indication of my future success.
So you have a young person that is convicted and spends most of their adult life in prison how do you determine fair compensation?
Some states will deny compensation if the person plead guilty. Quite often an accused person can not afford an attorney and end up with a public defender. The public defender generally has a pretty stiff case load so has a lot of impetus to settle cases before court. I have often wondered how many innocent people are in prison because a PD has said the risk of a trial is too high, they have a good case, or anyone one of a number of excuses and has then followed up with accept this and the death penalty is off the table, or accept this and you will have a possibility of parole, or accept this and you can be out in 6 years instead of 30 years. And if the person is later exonerated they are denied compensation because they plead guilty. Then there are a number of states that feel no compensation is owed.
Thoughts?
I do not believe the state owes the wrongly accused compensation, as a general rule, if it is later determined that the person was innocent, but convicted. It depends. If it can be proven that the state suppressed evidence, or there was some deliberate wrongdoing by the prosecution or the judge or application of the law, then the state should owe and pay compensation.
But if the state followed proper procedures, and it is later determined that the convicted person was innocent, in my opinion the state does not owe. An example would be if someone is convicted of ******* based on strong circumstantial evidence, but no DNA, etc. Then later another person not only confesses to the *******, but can prove he or she did it. Folks confess to things they did not do, for a variety of reasons.
I know prosecutors. A close friend of mine was a D.A. for several years. I know a two others that are presently Assistant D.As. Most of these folks are passing up big bucks in other legal areas because being a prosecutor is a calling. My friend could not rest when he prosecuted someone for a ******* or sex crime. My friend said he wanted to win, but wanted justice to prevail. Prosecutors often have to go on a preponderance of the evidence, and would not bet their welfare on whether someone is truly guilty or innocent.
There are renegades and/or incompetents. A good read is The Innocent Man, by John Grisham. This writer is known for his novels. But, this one is non-fiction.
But back to compensation not being owed when there is no proven wrongdoing by the prosecution. Society is not perfect, and never will be. We cannot make everything equitable. In a nation of laws, we must have courts, trials, and prosecutions. Life screws you sometimes. What if a truly guilty person of ******* is acquitted, then is found later to have murdered someone? No double jeopardy, no re-trial, no justice for the dead person or the murdered person's family.

Last edited:
Not really off topic. We seem to be discussing golf among other things. Other topics on the thread appear to be Federal Government with various degrees of blame to both political parties, the state of health care in the United States, and Mac telling us that trickle down economics don't work.... again:exciting: Usually to get a conversation this lively requires some alcohol. :eek:
HOW TO WIN AN ARGUMENT-Suppose you are at a party and some hotshot intellectual [or MacNfries] is expounding on the economy in Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic ******* like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot [ or MacNfries] enthralls your date. But if you ******* several large martinis, or MacNfries' margaritas, you'll discover that you have STRONG VIEWS
about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue so forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may even leave the room.

Luke, what are you talking about? Are you flapping your gums for attention, looking for an argument, or just expending air to hear yourself talk?

Last edited:
Several years ago, three of us were ready to tee off at a resort golf course. A fellow drove up in his cart , got up close to us and said "I am deaf, but I read lips. Can I play with you?" He was very hard to understand, as if he had been deaf from birth and had never heard a human voice. He was a scratch golfer, and had a nice set of clubs. He pulled out a scorecard from Pebble Beach, about a month old. As we made the turn at 10, his wife and two daughters were all talking and moving their hands. He took it all in and answered back.
Usually he had honors. I told my friends what I planned to do. Don't do it, they said.
But in the middle of his back swing on the final hole, I did not wave my arms, but I shouted "Swing motherfucker!" Long pause. Finally, he said, " I heard that."
He really did not say anything, but I like to tell it to friends that he did.
If I want an argument, it is not with you. I just wanted to bait you, you so much like the attention.

If I want an argument, it is not with you. I just wanted to bait you, you so much like the attention.

I wasn't asking for attention, Luke; why would you say that? You're the one calling me out with your smartass, pointless comments, or do you think people can't read your intent? If you had a point, make it. Your example, above, made absolutely No Sense at all.
Or, are you just a parrot for Torpedo's quotes? pic_PARROT.jpg

I think you're a liar, actually, and this is your way of inviting yourself into an argument, and you think everyone else is too stupid or naïve to realize it. Why else would you mention my SN not once but four times in post #1018? But, if your aspiration is to be a Torpedo Parrot, you could probably save yourself some type time by learning to copy-cut-paste; you do know how, right?
Maybe not ...
pic-CutCopyPaste.jpg Watch the video; maybe your declared mentor will take you under his wings and teach you.

Or, you can remove your smartass, pointless insult above, then I'll remove mine, and that'll be the end of it. Your choice, but ....
pic_fuckoff4.jpg .... and its MR Mac to you!

Or[ATTACH=full]558585[/ATTACH]

Last edited:

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Another one who has figured out what libs, like Mac need!
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!
And he figured it out so quickly!!
Luke, Mac is actually a good egg. Misguided, but a good egg. Nothing wrong with love and fellow-feeling, until it takes over logic and common sense.
Give Mac a break and I think both of you will learn a lot from each other in debates.

And Mac, dear friend, where the heck did you get the "sweet and cordial" banner? I am so jealous. Is there an "asshole and offensive" banner I can get??? lol.

My main point is if I had her Cluster Headaches I could remain hospitalized until the nausea was under control. I would have better hydration and better pain management. After three days she was out of the hospital. usually with suppositories for nausea and the advice to ******* a sports ******* like Gatoraide to prevent dehydration. If your Migraines aren't well managed you should try the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago. My late wife suffered from migraines and they were able to greatly reduce the severity and frequency of the attacks. I got better results for her there than I did at Mayo.
I am truly sorry for your loss, my friend. Whether she passed away or you separated, it is never easy to see the one you love suffer.
But you have illustrated my point.
Many times, when people have a migraine, it is because they are not properly hydrated. I have dealt with it myself. So, the point is, get some gatorade and find out. ******* a gallon of it over a day. If you still have issues with it afterwards, THEN seek out the docs and hospitals.
Almost anything has a natural cure. That is the way God intended it.

i just remember when the republican party was accused of being full of old white people out of touch with reality....what would the Dems say now about Hillary...just curious...

So are you hinting that the republican party isn't full of old, white people that are out of touch with reality?
As far as Hillary goes, I can take her or leave her, but it damn well beats having another "Bush" in the White House. I do like Hillary's statement of "needing to getting big money out of politics". The Citizens United ruling is one of the worst things to happen to politics in many years. It basically handed the control of the country over to rich & corporate America. If you're making under a quarter of a million a year (and I bet that includes most of us), you'll eventually be negatively impacted by that ruling. A lot of bad decision making is happening on both sides of the parties because of it, now. Personnally, I'm a bit partial to Eliz. Warren.

Last edited:
And Mac, dear friend, where the heck did you get the "sweet and cordial" banner? I am so jealous. Is there an "asshole and offensive" banner I can get??? lol.
You'll need to ask the Admin-FunnyBunny or maybe BM about that. I had nothing to do with putting the banner there. Regular members don't have control over banners. And, I'm fairly sure the banner you suggested, you were really referring that for me, and that's fine. People who "pick fights and arguments" as Luke has, stand to get exactly that from me if they so desire. I won't disappoint him. ;)

Last edited:
I do not believe the state owes the wrongly accused compensation, as a general rule, if it is later determined that the person was innocent, but convicted. It depends. If it can be proven that the state suppressed evidence, or there was some deliberate wrongdoing by the prosecution or the judge or application of the law, then the state should owe and pay compensation.
But if the state followed proper procedures, and it is later determined that the convicted person was innocent, in my opinion the state does not owe. An example would be if someone is convicted of ******* based on strong circumstantial evidence, but no DNA, etc. Then later another person not only confesses to the *******, but can prove he or she did it. Folks confess to things they did not do, for a variety of reasons.
I know prosecutors. A close friend of mine was a D.A. for several years. I know a two others that are presently Assistant D.As. Most of these folks are passing up big bucks in other legal areas because being a prosecutor is a calling. My friend could not rest when he prosecuted someone for a ******* or sex crime. My friend said he wanted to win, but wanted justice to prevail. Prosecutors often have to go on a preponderance of the evidence, and would not bet their welfare on whether someone is truly guilty or innocent.
There are renegades and/or incompetents. A good read is The Innocent Man, by John Grisham. This writer is known for his novels. But, this one is non-fiction.
But back to compensation not being owed when there is no proven wrongdoing by the prosecution. Society is not perfect, and never will be. We cannot make everything equitable. In a nation of laws, we must have courts, trials, and prosecutions. Life screws you sometimes. What if a truly guilty person of ******* is acquitted, then is found later to have murdered someone? No double jeopardy, no re-trial, no justice for the dead person or the murdered person's family.
It is arguable that if the prosecution convicted the wrong person they didn't do a good job. I wouldn't support compensation for time spent in jail awaiting trial. But when a person has been wrongly convicted and incarcerated for an extended period of time I think they are entitled to more that "Oops, sorry about that." A person that has been incarcerated for decades is a best going to have a hard time re integrating into society, isn't likely to have much in the way of marketable skills, and likely would be in need of education or training. They are also going to be in a somewhat compressed time frame to get their lives on track. A person in their 20's or even 30's has a lot of years to pay for and recover the investment in education. Someone in their 50's or older isn't likely to see their education paid for or to be in the work ******* long enough to recover the cost of the education. The years that they were incarcerated there wasn't any significant contributions to Social Security and no chance to accumulate assets to carry them into retirement.

Unfortunately the legal system is not very equitable. If I was accused of a crime I could afford quality legal council. I have an attorney that I consult with on business issues. If I had need of a trial lawyer I would call him and tell him to get me someone. That is a long way from most public defenders. The majority of people in law enforcement and the courts are quite serious about doing a good, honest job and they work damn hard to do it. Unfortunately there are some that are more concerned conviction rates and closing cases than they are about justice.

In a nearby city a number of years back there was a municipal judge that ran on the platform that he had a 98% conviction rate. He was re elected several times until another candidate ran on the platform that not everyone is guilty as charged.

I am truly sorry for your loss, my friend. Whether she passed away or you separated, it is never easy to see the one you love suffer.
But you have illustrated my point.
Many times, when people have a migraine, it is because they are not properly hydrated. I have dealt with it myself. So, the point is, get some gatorade and find out. ******* a gallon of it over a day. If you still have issues with it afterwards, THEN seek out the docs and hospitals.
Almost anything has a natural cure. That is the way God intended it.
My wife passed away quite unexpectedly a little over 5 years age, she was half my soul. Very remarkable woman put up with me for over 30 years and seemed to enjoy it. Far better woman than I deserved.

Custer headaches and many migraines are often complex. Most Migraines have one or more triggers. One common trigger we found out is fluorescent lighting. Fluorescent lights turn off and on 60 times a second (50 times a second in Europe). When the bulbs start to go bad they misfire on some of the cycles. If the start missing about a third if the cycles the bulb produces a strobe effect that isn't consciously perceptible but in a small number of people can cause seizures and in many migraine sufferers trigger a migraine. MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) is a very common trigger. MSG is a very common food additive. People that have an MSG trigger also have to be aware of MSG precursors that some food have. The best thing to do is keep a diary, everything you eat and do and when the Migraine starts and stops and what you did.

Cluster headaches are more complex and there are often neurological issues involved. The Diamond Clinic is the only place I know of that has consistent success dealing with them. The process takes time.

Well, not no one, just the media, the Democrat party, textbook writers, who have all conveniently misremembered that inconvenient fact.
bm, I don't think its all that important who and what the parties supported 60-100 years ago, is it? Its what and who the parties say they stand and support now. The parties redefined their constituencies over fifty years ago; and its almost like they simply switched uniforms over night. But the media and even the parties, themselves, aren't making any bones as to who and what they stand for today; none whatsoever.

The thing that really eats at my ass, however, is some party members' fraudulent, constant talk about the desire to shrink the government. That's simply BS; the government has to have revenue to operate. If we keep cutting that revenue out by cutting taxes, we responsibly have to cut expenditures or continue creating more debt. If this government needs revenue, they need to get more people back to work earning above poverty wages. This talk of shrinking the government is all very admirable talk until you understand why these individuals desire to cut taxes and revenue; its to continue passing bigger slices of the wealth to the upper fortunate class, whatever you see as that "fortunate class" as being. Its for sure that cutting taxes for these so-called "job creators" is not the answer. We have to create an educated working class that isn't competing for manual factory jobs ... those jobs are going away. We should be investing in fine tuning education, and bringing more poor Americans into the productive working class ... supply side economics isn't going to do that. Its 35 year history has proven that. When close to half of your working citizens are earning below poverty wages, and 1% of your working citizens control 2/3 of the country's wealth, you have a major problem that needs fixing. People like to talk about cutting the cost of entitlements, but refuse to admit that many of the subsidies that THEY get are entitlements as well. I work with too many people on a one-to-one basis that make $16-22,000 a year and still try to provide insurance for their families ... that crap just ain't going to work, and I often find myself discouraging individuals from buying certain insurance benefits because they have more important needs to meet.

And lastly, we need to quit "giving our technology away" to other countries simply to gain their friendship; all that does is create another competitor to our own economy.

Last edited:
Well, not no one, just the media, the Democrat party, textbook writers, who have all conveniently misremembered that inconvenient fact.
It is important to understand where we have been and how we got to where we are. Jim Crow laws, the KKK, the Holocaust and the Gulags and other dark sides of humanity need to be remembered and understood.

HOW TO WIN AN ARGUMENT-Suppose you are at a party and some hotshot intellectual [or MacNfries] is expounding on the economy in Peru, a subject you know nothing about. If you're drinking some health-fanatic ******* like grapefruit juice, you'll hang back, afraid to display your ignorance, while the hotshot [ or MacNfries] enthralls your date. But if you ******* several large martinis, or MacNfries' margaritas, you'll discover that you have STRONG VIEWS
about the Peruvian economy. You'll be a WEALTH of information. You'll argue so forcefully, offering searing insights and possibly upsetting furniture. People will be impressed. Some may even leave the room.
There is, of course, the old adage "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, then baffle 'em with bullshit".

Back