Death Penalty: For or Against

• I'm for the Death Penalty

Votes: 96 65.8%
  • I'm against the Death Penalty

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
This is a difficult topic to address, due to the many variations of a crime. Also, being black, and older, I have a slightly different perspective. There have been numerous errors, with the wrong man convicted for a crime he didn't commit. Yet there's also crimes so heinous, that only death will suffice.
death comes to all of us regardless and what is a heinous crime, dropping bombs on villages in Iraq and Afghanisthan or Vietnam

Some people and places execute people for being gay or adultery and if the death penalty worked so well there would be fewer murders per caqpita in the USA than in Canada. If a jury convicts an innocent person, usually black, and executed them should the people who murdered an innocent man be executed as well. Execution is just muder by the state

Where is the empirical data that shows that most of those wrongfully convicted are black?

Where is the empirical data that shows that most of those wrongfully convicted are black?
T
I doubt that there is empirical data concerning wrongfully convicted and race but there is plenty of data about death penalty and race and economic status and the rest of my argument holds true. Your society executes people for ******* but not long ago a black man could be hung for fucking a white woman. The really interesting question is why do so many people want harsh punishments even for minor crimes and resist any attempts to have a more rational correctional system.

... The really interesting question is why do so many people want harsh punishments even for minor crimes and resist any attempts to have a more rational correctional system.
..... Probably the same reason some people like to slow down and look at bad car wrecks. We will always have extremists in our society, who love the ******* & the gore. With the video games and movies we go watch, we pretty much condition our society to desire it.
......A rational correctional system would require too much effort and expense on our part. We're also a 'shake n bake' society ... we want, what we want, when we want it.
......Still, there is a need for a capital punishment system for 'open & shut' capital crime, like the Boston bombers, or premeditated *******, or violent crimes against children. The only reason we make it 'expensive' to implement are our ******* sucking lawyers who we allow to use our legal system against us in order for them to make a buck. If its an 'open & shut' case ... as the Boston bomber case was, there should be a 'process only' to implement the death sentence; it should never even go to trial.

..... Probably the same reason some people like. to slow down and look at bad car wrecks. We will always have extremists in our society, who love the ******* & the gore. With the video games and movies we go watch, we pretty much condition our society to desire it.
......A rational correctional system would require too much effort and expense on our part. We're also a 'shake n bake' society ... we want, what we want, when we want it.
......Still, there is a need for a capital punishment system for 'open & shut' capital crime, like the Boston bombers, or premeditated *******, or violent crimes against children. The only reason we make it 'expensive' to implement are our ******* sucking lawyers who we allow to use our legal system against us in order for them to make a buck. If its an 'open & shut' case ... as was the Boston bomber case was, there should be a 'process only' to implement the death sentence; it should never even go to trial.

Mark the date and time, we agree on something other than sports, beer, and good looking women :)

The majority of people resist rational laws and most people in your country like capital punishment. It is less expensive not to execute people and your justice system is expensive just like your health care and both have problems but for some reason many Americans refuse to see them. What is the difference between the Boston bombers and Americans who drop bombs and artillery shells on villages in other countries. Many of the atrocities committed by the Ira were financed from Boston. ******* seldom if ever stops ******* it just says it is justified. What does capital punishment do except satisfy ******* lust.

bm, we probably agree on a lot more things ... I guess you're referring to my politics, but I'm a lot more moderate than this thread reflects that I am. I'm actually quite critical of my liberal colleagues but rarely have a chance to discuss them because of the far right opinions & frustrations directed at me. I'm always willing to 'negotiate' opinions to reach a middle ground, but politics has become polarized and fewer people willing to reach that middle ground.

.... It is less expensive not to execute people and your justice system is expensive just like your health care and both have problems but for some reason many Americans refuse to see them.
well, you obviously didn't read my comment clearly enough. We make it expensive, and it shouldn't be for open-n-shut cases like the Boston bombers. Capital punishment should be used on capital crimes, and they should be done quickly with due process of law. As I said, we have those, who purposely complicate the system for their own motivated reasons.
What is the difference between the Boston bombers and Americans who drop bombs and artillery shells on villages in other countries. Many of the atrocities committed by the Ira were financed from Boston. ******* seldom if ever stops ******* it just says it is justified. What does capital punishment do except satisfy ******* lust.
.....tomtom, see, you're taking extreme examples to try to build your case. There's quite a bit of difference, actually, and I think you know that. In individual, foolproof, capital cases you usually have a predator that likes doing what he/she is doing ... killing or hurting innocent people for their enjoyment. It only hits home with individuals, like yourself, when it is someone close to you that is premeditatedly victimized.
..... War is a necessary thing when a group of people take aggression against other groups of people. surely you can't argue the necessities of WW2 and Hitler's aggressions. Would you not say our 'carpet bombing' was necessary then? Or, should the world have just taken a non-aggressive approach and have allowed Hitler to overtake the world? Comparing WW2, then, with today and our approach to Isis or Islamic radicals ... I can agree that carpet bombing is not a smart strategy when radicals hide among the 'innocents' to fight, as they did in Vietnam. But, then the US has paid enough for fighting ground wars when the local people appear to do so little themselves to fight back.

We have not executed anyone in Canada for a long time and our ******* rate keeps going down. I am talking about American and Canadian policy today in places like Afghanistan and Iraq and many other countries we support or send military to. Why is it that the other side is always so bad and we are so right

.... I am talking about American and Canadian policy today in places like Afghanistan and Iraq and many other countries we support or send military to. Why is it that the other side is always so bad and we are so right
.....tomtom, the radical Islamics are at war with 'westernization', and they blame the US and countries like us, for that westernization. They see their own people being 'westernized' and dislike it and want to stop it. They take their vengeance out on those who they feel violate their religious beliefs. We know their anger is with us ... and we know if we don't stop them (we're talking about the radical extremists here), that they will bring their anger to our own country. Actually, its inevitable that they will eventually do just that. What frustrates and angers us in the US and other western countries is the lack of voice from peaceful Muslims that should be voicing out against these extremists but don't.
.....Do I feel we are partially to blame ... absolutely. I've said many times that I think the US sticks its nose into the affairs of other countries more than they should. What we did in Iraq, taking out Saddam Hussein was a bad decision. What we did in Afghanistan initially was to go after the aggressors of the World Trade Center, then lost site of our purpose going there. Still, that would not stop foreign terrorists from eventually coming to our country. In our own country, we have a huge polarization between our liberal and conservative members, just as Canada had, and we're trying to address it. Our Supreme Court has not helped the situation any with some of the laws, such as Citizens United, that has allowed a large influx of money to drown out the practical, logical decision making processes.

The usa has been at war with someone since the pilgrims landed, first the natives and french in Canada and then the British and then more natives and mexicans and when there was no one to fight with they had a civil war. After the civil war there was more natives and mexico again and then Spain and it has never stopped. Everyone they fight with are bad people who just happen to need a beating. Capital punishment just makes murderers out of the government and the people who inflict the sentence and does no good for anyone.

how about people who ******* and drive or the people who sell the alcohol why not just ******* people who break any rule, actually we could create a nice park devoid of people

how about people who ******* and drive or the people who sell the alcohol why not just ******* people who break any rule, actually we could create a nice park devoid of people
When you're ready to start having a logical conversation again, raise your hand, ok?
No more comment to you about this, you "silly wabbit!"

I believe that an eye for an eye leaves everyone blind, killing someone is to easy if you ask me. Depending on the action that took place leading up to the crime should be taken into account. Someone drinking and driving that kills someone, let's take a look at their priors if drinking and driving is something they've done once, they had a warning. I'm not saying ******* them but their life should not be their own anymore. But we can not over look the fact that so crimes are for more heinous and death seems like the only right choice of action, but when you think that way we are no different from breast.

state sponsered ******* or capital punishment is a slippery slope that often becomes a political tool. I would rather prevent murders and other deaths and crimes than punish people after. Some countries did have capital punishment for impaired driving and it became abused. I can understand anger getting the best of a person and affecting their judgement but society has a duty to act prudently not emotionally. Most states in America do not execute people and even the ones that do there are areas that ******* the most inmates. When we execute someone we need an executioner and what type of person would want that job, a serial killer.

Back