Death Penalty: For or Against

• I'm for the Death Penalty

Votes: 96 65.8%
  • I'm against the Death Penalty

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Other than revenge the death penalty doesn't serve any useful purpose. Deterrence is a myth. Whether it is mass ******* or a speeding ticket nobody (with very rare exceptions) breaks the law with the intention of getting caught. As to revenge it can turn into a perpetual loop of violence
.....So, I guess if you and a family member were out enjoying a nice night of dinner and chat, and a thug comes up, robs you, shoots your family member and kills them, you're not going to chase them down with that little gun of yours, hidden under your coat, and try to shoot the man dead? No, you'll get a cool description of the man and let the law handle it, right? When it happens, you'll do EXACTLY what your anger and instinct will tell you to do.
.....If there were no laws for speeding, then a lot more people would be getting killed on the highways. Same with the death penalty ... it deters a lot more than you might think. Everyone carrying handguns is NOT the solutions, that's for sure.

Other than revenge the death penalty doesn't serve any useful purpose. Deterrence is a myth. Whether it is mass ******* or a speeding ticket nobody (with very rare exceptions) breaks the law with the intention of getting caught. As to revenge it can turn into a perpetual loop of violence
I agree
life without parole is enough come on...
there's no need to have dp during peace time
things change when the country is at war (the problem is we're at war all the time...from Jan 1 to Dec 31)

If the moderators would allow, I believe I could post some graphic ******* pics here that might sway your opinion a bit. Out of respect of the families who were impacted, I won't.
The Boston Marathon bombers, however, continues to come to my mind as the most recent example of ******* which provided 100% proof of the perpetrators. If ever there are reasons to implement the death sentence, that would be it, and it should be publicly done. There should be no continuing cost to taxpayers. I still say the guillotine is the most efficient method, and I'd give the family members of the victims the option of pulling the lever or pushing the button.

.....So, I guess if you and a family member were out enjoying a nice night of dinner and chat, and a thug comes up, robs you, shoots your family member and kills them, you're not going to chase them down with that little gun of yours, hidden under your coat, and try to shoot the man dead? No, you'll get a cool description of the man and let the law handle it, right? When it happens, you'll do EXACTLY what your anger and instinct will tell you to do.
.....If there were no laws for speeding, then a lot more people would be getting killed on the highways. Same with the death penalty ... it deters a lot more than you might think. Everyone carrying handguns is NOT the solutions, that's for sure.
There is a significant difference between defending yourself from an attack and becoming a vigilante. If I was out alone or with somebody and we were accosted and I felt my life or the life of someone around me was in danger I would use deadly *******. I doubt I would be chasing anyone down because I place a great deal of emphasis on hitting what I shoot at. I can use deadly ******* only as long as I perceive a threat to life exists. Under Wisconsin law I cannot legally pursue the person if they are leaving the scene. Once they are leaving I can not legally shoot at the person unless they at shooting or attempting to shoot at me. As to who I would protect, I would defend anyone whose life I felt was in danger, Hell I would even defend you if the situation arose. I accept the need for deadly ******* only when the presence or the threat of deadly ******* exists. A person locked in a jail cell provides little or no threat to the public. Killing them provides no real purpose other than revenge. And revenge is a bad thing. I believe Christ has addressed the revenge issue a number of times in the New Testament.

If the moderators would allow, I believe I could post some graphic ******* pics here that might sway your opinion a bit. Out of respect of the families who were impacted, I won't.
The Boston Marathon bombers, however, continues to come to my mind as the most recent example of ******* which provided 100% proof of the perpetrators. If ever there are reasons to implement the death sentence, that would be it, and it should be publicly done. There should be no continuing cost to taxpayers. I still say the guillotine is the most efficient method, and I'd give the family members of the victims the option of pulling the lever or pushing the button.
Public executions? Your attitude seems to be similar to that, that exists in the Middle East. As I have said before the only purpose the death penalty provides is revenge. If you look at the numbers I think you will find that death penalty states have homicide rates as high or higher than non death penalty states. Not too many people break the law with the intention of being caught, doesn't make any difference if it is homicide or speeding

Torp, you're a professed ATHIEST for Christ sake ... don't go spewing religion to me. Quit trying to get a debate started using some weak example of something you have no interest in, ok?

You keep talking about your "gun" ... its NOT about YOUR GUN, Torp, its about your reaction ... chasing down someone who's just murdered your love one and KILLING them. You may or may not have a opportunity to DEFEND your loved one.

Secondly, public executions, with the PROOF and due process is NOT similar to Middle East ... we're not talking about accusing someone of a crime, then cutting their heads off with a butcher knife. Only reason I use the guillotine is because it is efficient and inexpensive ... lawyers as usual have muddled up the opportunities to lethal injections. And if it were my choice, I'd even offer them the chance to push the button or pull the lever to "self terminate".

But again ... this is MY OPINION ... you have YOURS, ok? But don't use RELIGION to prove yours because you are an ATHIEST, ok? Or have you now "found religion?":)

Last edited:
Torp, you're a professed ATHIEST for Christ sake ... don't go spewing religion to me. Quit trying to get a debate started using some weak example of something you have no interest in, ok?
Something I have no interest in? Yes I am an atheist. I have also spent a good deal of time studying the various religions around the word. I would be willing to bet that you have no idea what the Koran says about Jesus. I find religion and the Scripture of various religions quite fascinating. I don't subscribe to any recognized belief system but I do under them. And I will repeat myself here. What did Jesus say about revenge in the New Testament? I bring this up because this is something you claim to believe in. And unless I remember incorrectly didn't you take the Lord's name in vain when you replied to my post? I am merely referencing religious points that I assumed you believed in. Your beliefs not mine.

I have seen death in person in ways I doubt that you can imagine. Shipboard deaths in the military are sometimes very messy. Sometimes you pick up the pieces or at least the bigger ones and send them home. Sometimes part of the job of the Honor Guard is to make sure no one opens the casket.

You keep talking about your "gun" ... its NOT about YOUR GUN, Torp, its about your reaction ... chasing down someone who's just murdered your love one and KILLING them. You may or may not have a opportunity to DEFEND your loved one.
My reaction would be to use my gun. One advantage I do have is that I live in a community with a very low crime rate. I think the last homicide in this county was 3 or 4 years ago.

I would have no problem ventilating someone that was trying to ******* another person. However I do like being able to go where I please when I please so I would not go hunting for the perpetrator of someone that killed a loved one. The reason is quite simple I would rather not spend my retirement in prison. Part of being a grown up is self control. The prisons are full of people that are there because they got pissed off, disrespected, felt cheated or whatever excuse they want to use. and once they are there they pose no threat to me or you so why ******* them?

.... The prisons are full of people that are there because they got pissed off, disrespected, felt cheated or whatever excuse they want to use. and once they are there they pose no threat to me or you so why ******* them?
The EXACT REASON why citizens should not be given "open carry" privileges. Your beloved conservatives have made it easier to get a hand gun than to vote ... ridiculous.

I am against the death penalty bc 1.) It has not been a deterrent from other future murders 2.) 2/3 of death row inmates are black and hispanics which plays on the disproportionate ill-treatment and injust unfair practices of the criminal justice system. 3.) Call me idealist but as a society aren't our laws suppose to be better than society as a whole? Aren't the pillars of justice, fairness, and equality objectives that transcends human nature yet still lofty goals we aspire to obtain. Measures that we slowly progress to through the imperfect finite nature that is humankind. If one individual was executed on prosecutorial abuse, police misconduct or just simple tunnel vision investigations; than perhaps the entire concept of killing another individual bc he/she took another individuals like in such a heinous manner is perhaps troubling in the lease. Bc our criminal justice system should not ever stoop to the level of the very same people who were convicted of such moral repugnant acts.

... And unless I remember incorrectly didn't you take the Lord's name in vain when you replied to my post? I am merely referencing religious points that I assumed you believed in.
First of all, it would help if you acknowledged that Christ is the ******* of God, not GOD, and the bible says he sits at God's right hand.
Second, I profess to "believe in GOD", I did not say I was a Christian. If I were a Christian, I would not be here, and certainly not involved in some of the sexual experiences my wife and I have had. I'm a follower of the Golden Rule, and is the way I raised my *******; it will be their choice to select their own religion and whether to become Christians.
And lastly, there are several places in the new bible where Jesus speaks of revenge. Just so you understand where I stand on that, "revenge is a dish best served really cold".

Last edited:
The EXACT REASON why citizens should not be given "open carry" privileges. Your beloved conservatives have made it easier to get a hand gun than to vote ... ridiculous.
So if someone commits a crime with a firearm punish them. If they use a bat, a knife, a car, or their bare hands punish them. I think it is ridiculous to place restrictions on innocent people. Do you really think if gun laws are more restrictive the bad people are going to comply? There is a whole underground market for firearms. Some are bought by straw buyers, some are stolen and quite a surprising number are smuggled in. Counterfeit Colt M1911 .45 ACP are readily available in most larger cites. The Soviet block AK-47 is also available though somewhat expensive. Anyone that really wants a gun can get one. All increased restriction with do is enlarge the underground market

I support death penalty
We need a proper method: lethal injection sucks
I think the best should be firing squad

It is why you have to be a grown up to get a concealed carry permit. In Wisconsin it is much easier to vote than get a concealed carry permit. Personally I prefer concealed carry over open carry. With concealed carry I can access the weapon nearly as quickly as if I was openly carrying it and concealed it isn't on display where it could create controversy

I am against the death penalty bc 1.) It has not been a deterrent from other future murders 2.) 2/3 of death row inmates are black and hispanics which plays on the disproportionate ill-treatment and injust unfair practices of the criminal justice system. 3.) Call me idealist but as a society aren't our laws suppose to be better than society as a whole? Aren't the pillars of justice, fairness, and equality objectives that transcends human nature yet still lofty goals we aspire to obtain. Measures that we slowly progress to through the imperfect finite nature that is humankind. If one individual was executed on prosecutorial abuse, police misconduct or just simple tunnel vision investigations; than perhaps the entire concept of killing another individual bc he/she took another individuals like in such a heinous manner is perhaps troubling in the lease. Bc our criminal justice system should not ever stoop to the level of the very same people who were convicted of such moral repugnant acts.

I have to strongly disagree with this statement.

The statistics that I found are current as of this week, but the racial breakdown of death row inmates is 42.51% white, 41.69% black, and 13.01% hispanic. Additionally, for those who have been executed since 1976, the 75.6% of the time the victims were white, as opposed to 15.4% black victims. Intraracial murders are more common than interracial murders, so it would stand to reason that white murderers are more likely to face the death penalty than black murderers.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976

The bible says... eye for an eye
although... I think it should be REAL CLEAR cut on it... then the death penalty.... but there are to many in prison now that we are finding out should never have been there... so like I said... eye witness or... very clear cut

Some people and places execute people for being gay or adultery and if the death penalty worked so well there would be fewer murders per caqpita in the USA than in Canada. If a jury convicts an innocent person, usually black, and executed them should the people who murdered an innocent man be executed as well. Execution is just muder by the state

Back