Wake Up, America! Wake Up! PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just something else we are handing our children

US piles up record October budget deficit of $284.1 ...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-piles...
5 hours ago · US piles up record October budget deficit of $284.1 billion The U.S. is starting the 2021 budget year the way the old year ended, with soaring deficits

US piles up record October budget deficit of $284.1 billion

https://news.yahoo.com/us-piles-record-october-budget-191833102.html
5 hours ago · WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. is starting the 2021 budget year the way the old year ended, with soaring deficits. The Treasury Department reported Thursday that the federal government ran up a record October deficit of $284.1 billion, double the red ink of the same month a year ago, as revenues declined while spending to deal with the impact of the coronavirus soared.

Pelosi scolds Republicans: Stop the election ‘circus’ and ...

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/pelosi-scolds...
Pelosi urged Republicans to “stop the circus,” saying, “the election is over.” She also reminded the GOP to “start focusing on COVID.” …

Republican Mike DeWine Breaks With Trump: ‘Joe Biden Is ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/...
8 hours ago · Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine on Thursday became one of the highest-profile sitting Republican officials to acknowledge Joe Biden’s election victory, directly referring to him as the president-elect …

Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich rejects Trump’s ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/11/12/...
14 hours ago · In an interview on Fox Business Network on Wednesday, Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich debunked the Trump campaign’s claims of voter fraud in the state.

Karl Rove Predicts Donald Trump Will Fail To Overturn ...

karl-rove-donald...
Veteran GOP strategist Karl Rove on Wednesday broke ranks with prominent Republicans backing President Donald Trump’s reality-defying refusal to accept defeat in the 2020 election. In an op-ed published by The Wall Street Journal , Rove predicted Trump’s efforts to overturn President-elect Joe Biden ’s win are doomed.

Election 2020 live updates: Biden talks with Pelosi, Schumer about need for COVID bill

USA TODAY'S coverage of the 2020 election continues this week after former Vice President Joe Biden won a bitterly fought election against President Donald Trump and states work to finish counting their remaining ballots. Nearly all states have been called at this point as the Trump campaign challenges the outcomes in many states. Biden meanwhile is continuing with his transition, meeting with advisors and world leaders and possibly naming staff in the days and weeks to come.

President-elect Joe Biden talked with Congress' top Democrats on Thursday about his legislative priorities and the need to quickly pass a bipartisan COVID-19 relief package.

Biden highlighted his hopes for a coronavirus stimulus package during the lame-duck session, the period between the election and January when he and other newly elected leaders will start serving, in a conversation with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.

Trump’s Antics Strengthen the Case for Nationalizing Election Rules

A lot of us look at the efforts of President Trump and his supporters to contest his 2020 election defeat and see a vivid reflection of the weaknesses of our ramshackle, insanely decentralized system, which creates a thousand potential openings for legal and political mischief. But the University of Rochester’s Steven E. Landsburg looks at the same set of facts and thanks the heavens our way of running elections is too screwed up to be dominated by a tyrant, as he explained in a Wall Street Journal op-ed published Wednesday:

Imagine a future presidential election in which the incumbent refuses to concede and enlists the full power of the federal government to overturn the apparent democratic outcome.

Now imagine that the election in question is actually run by a federal agency or by some nationwide quasigovernmental authority charged with collecting and aggregating the results from all 50 states.

I don’t know about you, but I might worry a bit about the pressure that could be brought to bear on that single authority. I might worry a bit about the objectivity of the attorney general and the federal election commissioners who would be in a position to ramp up that pressure.

Landsburg abruptly shifts to a backhanded defense of the Electoral College, without any real explanation of why that hoary institution is a curb on tyrants. But the question of how we decide who has won a presidential election and the rules and resources shaping how it is run are two very separate issues.

As I argued earlier this year, what we most need is uniform national standards for voter registration, different types of voting, and the processing, counting, and reporting of ballots; a national policy establishing voting as a federally recognized right with strong legal backing; and robust federal funding to address patent inefficiencies and disparities in how elections are held across the country. Such reforms could also include a cleanup of the chaotic processes for determining and litigating Electoral College votes — another
dysfunctional area of current law that Trump is trying to exploit. Yes, election-law expert Rick Hasen has carefully laid out a system for managing and financing federal elections via a federally created agency or board. But you can have national standards, a national right to vote, and national funding with or without centralized administration.

It’s a sad day if our only choice is either to rely on a disorganized and fundamentally unequal nonsystem of state and locally controlled elections — or succumb to tyranny. Sure, scofflaws like Donald Trump will try to exploit any concentration of power in his vicinity to frustrate or even pervert rational national policies and the overall constitutional design. But there are other ways to rein in outlaw presidents that don’t involve paralyzing the federal government or freezing interstate inequities forever. Let this year’s messy, divisive, and ultimately contested elections provide an urgent impetus to long-overdue reform of how we go about exercising the most fundamental of democratic functions. Otherwise we are in danger of making election administration a partisan football in all 50 states forever.

and things are on the upswing??????

Republicans ONCE AGAIN , as they did with the past two Democrat Presidents (Clinton & Obama), take a good running economy from the Democrats, totally WRECK it, and then hand it BACK to a newly elected Democrat president. Give 'em a month after Biden takes office, and they'll ALL be blaming everything on Biden as they try to deny Biden anything he request. Expect them to blame Biden for not 'immediately' turning the virus around, failure to control unemployment, failure of small businesses, .... and I totally expect the stock market to make a major adjustment and the ReThuglicans blame him for THAT.
We must cross our fingers that the Georgia senate seats fall to Democrats this time around. Time to send Moscow Mitch to the back row again.

Trump’s Antics Strengthen the Case for Nationalizing Election Rules

A lot of us look at the efforts of President Trump and his supporters to contest his 2020 election defeat and see a vivid reflection of the weaknesses of our ramshackle, insanely decentralized system, which creates a thousand potential openings for legal and political mischief. But the University of Rochester’s Steven E. Landsburg looks at the same set of facts and thanks the heavens our way of running elections is too screwed up to be dominated by a tyrant, as he explained in a Wall Street Journal op-ed published Wednesday:

Imagine a future presidential election in which the incumbent refuses to concede and enlists the full power of the federal government to overturn the apparent democratic outcome.

Now imagine that the election in question is actually run by a federal agency or by some nationwide quasigovernmental authority charged with collecting and aggregating the results from all 50 states.

I don’t know about you, but I might worry a bit about the pressure that could be brought to bear on that single authority. I might worry a bit about the objectivity of the attorney general and the federal election commissioners who would be in a position to ramp up that pressure.

Landsburg abruptly shifts to a backhanded defense of the Electoral College, without any real explanation of why that hoary institution is a curb on tyrants. But the question of how we decide who has won a presidential election and the rules and resources shaping how it is run are two very separate issues.

As I argued earlier this year, what we most need is uniform national standards for voter registration, different types of voting, and the processing, counting, and reporting of ballots; a national policy establishing voting as a federally recognized right with strong legal backing; and robust federal funding to address patent inefficiencies and disparities in how elections are held across the country. Such reforms could also include a cleanup of the chaotic processes for determining and litigating Electoral College votes — another
dysfunctional area of current law that Trump is trying to exploit. Yes, election-law expert Rick Hasen has carefully laid out a system for managing and financing federal elections via a federally created agency or board. But you can have national standards, a national right to vote, and national funding with or without centralized administration.

It’s a sad day if our only choice is either to rely on a disorganized and fundamentally unequal nonsystem of state and locally controlled elections — or succumb to tyranny. Sure, scofflaws like Donald Trump will try to exploit any concentration of power in his vicinity to frustrate or even pervert rational national policies and the overall constitutional design. But there are other ways to rein in outlaw presidents that don’t involve paralyzing the federal government or freezing interstate inequities forever. Let this year’s messy, divisive, and ultimately contested elections provide an urgent impetus to long-overdue reform of how we go about exercising the most fundamental of democratic functions. Otherwise we are in danger of making election administration a partisan football in all 50 states forever.

Firstly, I'd like to congratulate everyone for this result! 👍👏

I absolutely agree that the best thing (and one of the first things) that you guys should do is reform your electoral system. I know I'll piss some off because I'm British and its none of my business, but it seems to me that, in a country with a history of long drawn out and contested election processes, the best thing you could do is arrange the system in such a way that the result came in quickly. This postal vote situation, where they're still coming in a week after polling day, seems to me just invites mistrust, especially when elections are so close.

It can't be beyond the wit of man to have a watertight and trusted polling system. Also, when a party contests a result, there must be a heavy burden of proof required, because the constant temptation to challenge results in the courts weakens democracy and sows mistrust in the system.

Once again, well done America. 👍🇺🇸

and things are on the upswing??????​

US jobless claims: 751,000 workers seek unemployment benefits

https://nypost.com/2020/11/05/us-jobless-claims...
Nov 05, 2020 · Continuing unemployment claims, which measure ongoing joblessness on a one-week lag, fell for the sixth straight week to about 7.3 million in the week ending Oct. 24, according to the feds.

New jobless claims total 709K in first week of November ...

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/525637-new...
10 hours ago · While initial jobless claims have fallen sharply from their peak in spring, they remain almost three times as high as pre-pandemic levels. There were just 238,996 initial claims
No surprises here and - unfortunately - the worse is yet to be!
In the real world outside the boarders of the U.S. people are agast as to the large base that voted for and supported the GOP and Trump! Regardless of the fact that Trump was soundly defeated and the GOP were defeated by 5+ million votes! Hopefully when all is said and done there's a bright light at the end of the tunnel, a word of caution however; "There still exists a real rough road ahead for all Americans! The total damage that Trump and his cohorts has caused to the U.S., and the world at large, hasn't been written yet and the effects will take generations to erase! Trump's Coronavirus handling is but one major example of his mismanagement, carelessness and indifference to the pains, trials, tribulations and concerns of his fellow man! He couldn't give a damn! His only priority is, has been and will always be "What's in it for me!" For now "God Bless America and I wish each and every American all the best!"

Republicans ONCE AGAIN , as they did with the past two Democrat Presidents (Clinton & Obama), take a good running economy from the Democrats, totally WRECK it, and then hand it BACK to a newly elected Democrat president. Give 'em a month after Biden takes office, and they'll ALL be blaming everything on Biden as they try to deny Biden anything he request. Expect them to blame Biden for not 'immediately' turning the virus around, failure to control unemployment, failure of small businesses, .... and I totally expect the stock market to make a major adjustment and the ReThuglicans blame him for THAT.
We must cross our fingers that the Georgia senate seats fall to Democrats this time around. Time to send Moscow Mitch to the back row again.
And Moscow Mitch will be calling a press conference to announce; Quote : "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President (Obama) Biden to be a one-term president." Unquote!

And Moscow Mitch will be calling a press conference to announce; Quote : "The single most important thing we want to achieve is for President (Obama) Biden to be a one-term president." Unquote!
LOL ... yeah, too bad I can't be a Democratic senator there right now ... my sarcasm would fit right in on that statement as I directed it towards Mitch every day for the next 4-years.

Last edited:
unfortunately - the worse is yet to be!
I'm afraid you're absolutely RIGHT ... Trump has no problems burning bridges that he thinks he'll never cross again.
Let him run for re-election in 2024 IF he happens to be out of NY state prison by that time. ... let Republicans commit party suicide. Until they choose a different platform to run on, I wish 'em both the very best worst.

Trump Cries Election Fraud. In Court, His Lawyers Don't.

President Trump has claimed widespread fraud was at play in the presidential election. Several of his lawyers have told judges in courtrooms across the country that they don’t believe that to be true.

Law firm Porter Wright withdraws from Trump campaign ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election...
1 hour ago · Porter Wright’s withdrawal came after Jones Day, the Trump campaign’s outside counsel, said on Tuesday it is not representing the president or his campaign in “any litigation alleging voter …

Biden’s Education Department Will Move Fast to Reverse Betsy DeVos’s Policies

WASHINGTON — Like most federal agencies, the Education Department followed President Trump’s lead in seeking to undo the legacy of his predecessor, and Education Secretary Betsy DeVos diligently tore into President Barack Obama’s policies.

President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr’s administration is planning to return the favor.

The contrasts in Trump-era education policy and the incoming Biden administration’s agenda are stark. Ms. DeVos, a lifelong booster of private schools and longtime opponent of the teachers’ unions, set out to reduce the Education Department’s footprint by proposing cuts to public school funding and narrowing the department’s enforcement role of federal education laws and civil rights.

Red state governors reject Biden on mask orders

President-elect Joe Biden says he'll personally call red state governors and persuade them to impose mask mandates to slow down the coronavirus pandemic. Their early response: Don’t waste your time.

Almost all of the 16 Republican governors who oppose statewide mask mandates are ready to reject Biden’s plea, they told POLITICO or declared in public statements — even as they impose new restrictions on businesses and limit the size of public gatherings to keep their health systems from getting swamped.

South Dakota’s Kristi Noem, Oklahoma’s Kevin Stitt and Nebraska’s Pete Ricketts, whose states are engulfed by new cases, say mask wearing should remain a personal choice, not a legal obligation — despite recommendations from health officials and updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control stressing that masks protect the wearer, not just people nearby, from infection.

“Governor Noem has provided her people with the full scope of the science, facts, and data regarding the virus, and then she has trusted them to exercise their personal responsibility to make the best decisions for themselves and their loved-ones,” Noem spokesperson Ian Fury wrote in an email. “She will not be changing that approach.”

'Abuse of the rule of law': 1,000 ex-judges, legal experts slam Trump's false claims of voter fraud

WASHINGTON – A group of 1,000 attorneys, including retired federal and state judges, state attorneys general and law professors criticized the Trump administration over baseless claims of widespread voter fraud in the 2020 election.

Every candidate has a right to ensure that an election is conducted lawfully. However, court challenges, if any, must be based on facts, on evidence," stated the letter, which asked public officials to stop making false claims of systemic fraud that President Donald Trump has claimed "stole" the election from him.

"The President of the United States has directed the filing of court cases seeking to stop ballots from being counted on the ground that there has been widespread ballot fraud. His sons have sharply criticized Republicans who are not backing their *******’s claims,"

Republican lawmakers, including Sens. Ted Cruz, Lindsay Graham and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, have made statements backing Trump's lawsuits and claims of fraud.

In a statement, Trump campaign communications director Tim Murtaugh said: "The President owes it to the 73 million people who voted for him to ensure that the election was fair and secure, and he also owes it to everyone who voted for Biden. Every American deserves the peace of mind that our elections are sound."

Trump had 72,319,510 votes. More than 77 million Americans voted for President-elect Joe Biden, winning the popular vote by about 5 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back