Death Penalty: For or Against

• I'm for the Death Penalty

Votes: 96 65.8%
  • I'm against the Death Penalty

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
"Nobody should die before their time..."- funny, murderers don't consider that before they decide to *******.

Nobody. That's a blanket -nobody-. If you ******* people that are killers, what does that make you? YES, I am sorry for every single victim and the families they leave behind. What good does more ******* do to their peace?

Nobody. That's a blanket -nobody-. If you ******* people that are killers, what does that make you? YES, I am sorry for every single victim and the families they leave behind. What good does more ******* do to their peace?

I can't speak for everyone, but if my wife or anybody in my family were murdered, I don't want that person breathing the same oxygen that I do. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. There are people who have proven by their actions that are not capable of coexisting among law abiding citizens, and society is not safe as long as they are still alive.

I can't speak for everyone, but if my wife or anybody in my family were murdered, I don't want that person breathing the same oxygen that I do. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. There are people who have proven by their actions that are not capable of coexisting among law abiding citizens, and society is not safe as long as they are still alive.
Admin, I call it revenge not justice. The state must apply justice not revenge. Jails are made for educate and keep criminals segregate from civil society. As I wrote before in Europe we don't have it and we don't feel in danger. God only knows how many persons (black and white) were murdered being not guilty. In USA appeals are very expensive, don't think everyone could pay it.
Anyway are opinions and I respect them all.

If you go to ISIL they supposed to give you an indulgence,LOL.of course with right of asylum.

Admin, I call it revenge not justice. The state must apply justice not revenge. Jails are made for educate and keep criminals segregate from civil society. As I wrote before in Europe we don't have it and we don't feel in danger. God only knows how many persons (black and white) were murdered being not guilty. In USA appeals are very expensive, don't think everyone could pay it.
Anyway are opinions and I respect them all.
Then let it be revenge. They took someone else's right to life so with our laws their right to life should be taken from them.

@malizia2000

As to affordability, every capital case has automatic appeals built in, nobody that is condemned goes straight to the gallows, gas chamber, or electric chair. Also, there is an organization called The
Innocence Project and others like it that work on behalf of capital cases that they deem as worthy, especially when the inmate ccan't afford expensive tests or has exhausted their appeals.

There was a period of time a few years back that in Illinois more people were exonerated on death row than were executed. I think as a culture we need to say killing except in self defense is wrong. The states that have the death penalty seem to have the higher ******* rates. Whether it is ******* or jaywalking no one breaks the law believing they will be caught. I haven't seem any evidence that the death penalty deters.

The death penalty is expensive. The appeals can go on for years and there is considerable evidence that innocent people still have been executed. One of the rationals I have heard is that if they weren't guilty of that crime they probably deserved it for something else. An interesting twist on "innocent until proven guilty" idea.

As far a using lethal ******* I have a concealed carry permit and I have a nice Glock that I am proficient with. I can and will defend myself if need be. However I don't have the right to go and ******* someone because of their actions unless my use of deadly ******* is necessary to protect life at that time. It is a rule that really should apply to society in general.

A lot of violent crime is done by young people that get caught up in things in their lives and they do bad sometimes horrible things. Then you have the true sociopath that just doesn't connect with the rest of humanity. For starters we really need to start figuring out who has taken a wrong turn and who is truly a sociopath. We lock up more people for longer times than just about any other country. The only countries that executed more people in 2013 were China executed thousands, Iran 369, Iraq 169, and Saudi Arabia 79. The United States 39.

Contrary to popular belief most of those executed in the United States since 1976 have been white. About 56% were white, 35% black, 8% Hispanic and the balance is just listed as "other"

What is the intended purpose of the death penalty? Revenge or to protect society? Although revenge can have a certain appeal it can lead to a never ending chain of events. Killing the murderer doesn't bring anyone back. If I lost someone close to me through violence I would like the person to locked up for life with no parole and I would want them to live a long life. And everyday of that long life they would know that because of that one act they would never be free again.

We don't need to build more prisons or execute more people. We need to figure out who has made a wrong turn and can be salvaged and who needs to be removed from society. Those that can be rehabilitated should have the time and effort applied to do that. We need more taxpayers not prisoners. The sociopaths that are beyond help should be locked away. Given minimal accommodations, no educational access and no outside contact. Simply warehoused and forgotten about. The newer supermax have proven to be effective at containing inmates. It seems that the escapes that have taken place have been from old outdated facilities that are a part of our crumbling infra structure.

there're far too many miscarriages of justice to make the death penalty a "just" punishment. too many innocent people are killed only to find out later that the evidence against them was fabricated or just piss poor.

one innocent death is too many.

I'm for it for the worst crimes. I don't mean just *******, but I mean ******* which ******* occurred afterwords, or those *******/******* ******* stories that you hear about every few years. Those people deserve to die.

I don't think it acts as a deterrent at all, but that's not the point. It's to simply end ones life who committed the most outrageous, heinous, and disgusting murders.

Have a nice day!

@Noreen

How many innocent people have they found that have been executed? More often than not, the people who have been wrongfully convicted or railroaded are serving long prison terms or on death row.

All for it. In fact, I am for expediting it. I think one of the ways to both speed up the process and still ensure fair trials is to remove it from the normal justice system. There is no reason a separate court system couldn't be put in place for the sole purpose of trying capital cases. Similar to certain crimes in the military under the UCMJ, there would be automatic review by higher authority upon conviction. You could even have fast track review up to an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court responsible for whatever region the crime and trial was held in.

Start to finish there is no reason a person convicted of a capital crime couldn't be executed within six months to a year of initial conviction. Probably sooner.

Back