Black Man/White Wife - Too Awkward To Point Out?

James Moody

Male
Gold Member
Real Person
From
MD, US
Hubert Davis, announced as the new head coach of the revered University of North Carolina Tar Heels basketball program, posted his "glad to be here" statement yesterday. It included acknowledgement of his being the first black head coach at North Carolina and for that he is very proud. He added that he's also proud to have a white wife. It didn't seem to provoke much negative racial reaction but a hell of a lot of the reaction was that it was awkward bringing up the 'white wife'.

I've been a proud black man longer than many here have been alive. My late wife was white. My current wife is white. Proud of and love 'em both. And yes, it did seem a little strange - or perhaps curious - to me that Davis would make a point of it in his first words as head coach of one of the most storied basketball programs in our history, let alone a southern one.

I dunno -- does it seem 'awkward' to you?

I remember watching him on the Knicks growing up, great 3-pt shooter.

Taking pride in her being white is super awkward. My partner is white but I’m proud of her because she’s a wonderful person, color has nothing to do with it.
I get what you mean and I feel the same EXCEPT...I more readily acknowledge that she's white because that's a part of who she is and is a component of "wonderful" along with things like, being strong or smart, or personable. Anything wrong with pointing out her being proud that she's a Rhodes Scholar, for example -- or is it purely a matter of race being a more charged topic regardless?

I read this with great interest, I wonder was it awkward or smart. It was bound to come up, by pointing it out himself he closed the door on those who might have jumped on it to further a agenda of their own. Being from the deep south he has taken a position in a place where he is the first of his race to ever hold that job. The opposition and criticism will be tough enough by pointing out her race first they have one less card to play.
I believe I'll judge him by his performance, wins versus losses. Like every other coach of any color. I wish him well.

I get what you mean and I feel the same EXCEPT...I more readily acknowledge that she's white because that's a part of who she is and is a component of "wonderful" along with things like, being strong or smart, or personable. Anything wrong with pointing out her being proud that she's a Rhodes Scholar, for example -- or is it purely a matter of race being a more charged topic regardless?
Think what you think. In MY opinion you can be legitimately proud of an achievement. Which is not the color of your skin. Everybody is born the way they are. Nobody took part in it or made that decision. That's nothing one can legitimately be proud of ImO. Not for themselves nor their partner. If a Woman i am in a relationship with tells me, she was proud of my "whiteness", i'll definitely question her intentions to be with me. :| Totally weird.

I read this with great interest, I wonder was it awkward or smart. It was bound to come up, by pointing it out himself he closed the door on those who might have jumped on it to further a agenda of their own. Being from the deep south he has taken a position in a place where he is the first of his race to ever hold that job. The opposition and criticism will be tough enough by pointing out her race first they have one less card to play.
I believe I'll judge him by his performance, wins versus losses. Like every other coach of any color. I wish him well.
Actually i think there is nothing special for somebody to get a job, especially if they are deserving. However, if he's the first Black man in history in this position it seems kind of expected of him to point that out explicitly because people in the U.S. want to see examples of that change in society.

For bringing up his "white wife" there may be a variety of motives, and i can only speculate. One reason may be bringing in yet another aspect of that change - thinking that only a few decades ago marriages of that kind were forbidden by the law. At the same time it may be a subtle way of getting back at 'em "racist white boys" (rwb). Really, even on this board you read ridiculous expressions like "their own women" or "our own women" quite frequently. So, perhaps a way of rubbing in their (rwb's) face that he had taken one of their women away. :D But may also backfire at him from part of the "Black community". It's not a rare exception that at least some of the Blacks are very "critical" about a successful Black person. i've heard a few times Black people say a successful Black person would "behave white", or if they have a partner not their skin color, they would "marry for status" or turn their backs to "their own people". 😒

Personally, i find it inept and irritating, and especially if it was not concerted with his wife first. jm2ct's

James Moody should Hubert Davis be ashamed of is wife who is white ? I am taking that statement in that he is pointing out the fact that he has (like yourself for example) overcome racial barriers that our society has placed on people for decades. The bigots , racists and those that have steadfastly refused to believe that two people of different racial backgrounds could have anything in common and live together in harmony , have a happy life together , educate themselves, to earn enough money to have all the usual things that same race couples have , such as a home , automobile, children etc. Mr Davis better be proud of his wife , or she will never let him forget it .

James Moody should Hubert Davis be ashamed of is wife who is white ? I am taking that statement in that he is pointing out the fact that he has (like yourself for example) overcome racial barriers that our society has placed on people for decades. The bigots , racists and those that have steadfastly refused to believe that two people of different racial backgrounds could have anything in common and live together in harmony , have a happy life together , educate themselves, to earn enough money to have all the usual things that same race couples have , such as a home , automobile, children etc. Mr Davis better be proud of his wife , or she will never let him forget it .
Hopefully, Hubert Davis is happy with his wife, which would logically infer that he is proud of her. I sincerely hope every loving couple is proud of their spouse/significant other/partner. Being proud was not my central issue in presenting this topic for this thread. It was the context in which his pride was raised. For example, it would be a little strange if, in being presented accolades for my work on my condo board that I add "I am also very proud of my biracial *******." Or if I am given an award for my contribution to physical fitness via aerobic dance that I mention how proud I am of my white wife. All of these points are great and valid and deserve positive reinforcement. However, when valid facts are presented in an "odd" context, i.e., being seemingly unrelated, it can seem...potentially awkward. This is especially so when the topic hits on racial relations and specifically interracial romances in this country.

Nothing inherently wrong about being awkward or not...I'm just raising the topic for discussion. Thanks for joining in!

Hopefully, Hubert Davis is happy with his wife, which would logically infer that he is proud of her. I sincerely hope every loving couple is proud of their spouse/significant other/partner. (...)
i second that. (y)
Being proud was not my central issue in presenting this topic for this thread. It was the context in which his pride was raised. (...)
But by saying things like "I am proud of my white wife" it looks like his wife's being white was the reason for his pride and not the person she is. That's odd. In any context ImO.

Hubert Davis, announced as the new head coach of the revered University of North Carolina Tar Heels basketball program, posted his "glad to be here" statement yesterday. It included acknowledgement of his being the first black head coach at North Carolina and for that he is very proud. He added that he's also proud to have a white wife. It didn't seem to provoke much negative racial reaction but a hell of a lot of the reaction was that it was awkward bringing up the 'white wife'.

I've been a proud black man longer than many here have been alive. My late wife was white. My current wife is white. Proud of and love 'em both. And yes, it did seem a little strange - or perhaps curious - to me that Davis would make a point of it in his first words as head coach of one of the most storied basketball programs in our history, let alone a southern one.

Wayyyy back in the day, my brother and I watched cartoons Sat. morning until college sports came on-no interest. In those days there were 2 stations in Charleston, ABC and CBS; no cable, no internet. And one afternoon, a basketball game came on, and one of the teams had a Black player. It tripped me out so much I called my Dad to see. The kid's name was Charles Scott (it was the media primarily that called him Charlie, which stuck). I immediately became a UNC basketball fan, still one to this day. He was the first Black college athlete most people down here ever saw. It certainly expanded dreams, considerations.....possibilities.

The outrage was overwhelmingly based on the "immorality" of interracial mixing, and it was on news broadcasts, sports broadcasts, newspaper coverage. Later when cousins visited from Tuskegee, AL, they were talking about it too....and I took that as an indicator of how widespread the awareness was.
Dean Smith's reaction to all of this was simple, direct, and perfect. Before he spoke a word, he and Charles Scott went to Sunday services at Smith's church, after which he said "Charles' family are good Christians, and as I want to be one, I promised them I would do everything I could to further his growth as a man and as a Christian." He never mentioned race, and he never mentioned basketball.

Hubert Davis spent time at UNC when his uncle Walter Davis played there (73-77) before he attended 88-92, which is when he became a born again Christian, as well as where he met his wife, also a UNC grad.

To me, I think he said it as part of his "pre-emptive strike- Yes, I'm the 1st Black head coach, yes I married a white woman. I could here Eminem/Eight Mile in the background, "Now tell these people something they don't know about me!"

I can understand why it would seem awkward to you -- as a Black man, you want the public focus to be on his achievements, beyond just scoring white women.

But as a white trans-girl, in my pale, feminine brain, I hear his message directed towards white girls.

We can be pretty sure that a Black man as accomplished as Hubert Davis has been swimming in white pussy offers all his life. Because he knows that white girls have been raised to be suspicious of, or fear Black men, Davis is signalling to white girls that they can have it all with a Black man -- they can have the virile Black sexual euphoria -- AND they can be mated to a Black man who is celebrated and respected. At least that is the message I hope white girls hear. :qos:

Last edited:
ONLY ONE THING MATTERS to college fans, W's & L's and it all starts with RECRUITING the Diaper Dandies, BABY!!

SIGN HIM UP ... WHOEVER this kid IS ... he's a DIAPER DANDY, BABY!
gif_BasketballSHOT.gif

Last edited:
ONLY ONE THING MATTERS to college fans, W's & L's and it all starts with RECRUITING the Diaper Dandies, BABY!!

SIGN HIM UP ... WHOEVER this kid IS ... he's a DIAPER DANDY, BABY!
View attachment 4117939
Au contrare! While wins are important, to many, so are traditions. I was shocked when Davis didn't bring back Asst. Coach Robinson but floored when the entire coaching staff were Carolina alumni and Davis point blank said the place was so unique you could not coach there if you hadn't gone there.

Can't wait until they come to town in November, tickets on sale tomorrow.

Ask David Cutliff after this season's football is over .... "fired!"
Ask Matt Doherty after 3 seasons as Tar Heel basketball coach. ... "fired"
I'm strictly basketball, mano! Doherty at the time thought his ******* didn't stink. He let go a lot of the old non basketball staff, was aloof to lifetime Ram Club members, as well as restricted alumni access. Roy revived the policy of all alumni having access to practice and playing facilities (except Covid), a huge reason so many of the pros, whether NBA or foreign leagues return to Chapel Hill for the pick up games.

But the prodigal ******* has been forgiven and has been included in some of the basketball alumni activities.

Personally, I keep looking for Warren Martin.

Back