Yasuke the black samurai

Akiko

Female
I think most of you will never have heard of him and thats a shame so I decided to make a thread for him - the legendary black swordsman of japan yasuke !

Its nor really clear were yasuke was born most historians think it was mozambique other sources say it was sudan but he came to japan in 1579 as a slave to portuguese missionaries. Yasuke was very black in the chronicle of lord nobunaga he was described as black as a bull and since oda nobunaga had never seen a black man before he feard it was a trick and made him strip down and scrub his skin to show it was not black ink. Yasuke was also very strong, he was described as strong as 10 japanese men and could speak japanese which impressed nobunaga greatly and because of that he made him serve him not as a slave but as his bodyguard. After winning nobunagas trust and friendship yasuke was given his own residence, some money and the greatest gift of all - he was bestowed the honor to become noble samurai thus the legend of the black samurai was born. But it was not for long because shortly after the battle of tenmokuzan, where he wiped out the remnants of the takeda clan oda nobunaga was surprised by an attack of the treacherous army of makedi mitsuhide and had to commit ritual suicide. Yasuke was always on his masters side but could not prevent his fate. He remained loyal to the oda clan and so the crest of the oda clan the japanese quince became also his and did guide him on his honorable way to join forces with oda nobunagas heir ota nobutada to avenge the death of his former master. In the end after putting up an valiant fight with the remaining 200 men of the oda clan yasuke was captured by akechi and his 13000 men strong army and had to give up his sword. Ota nobutada had to commit ritual suicide and the rest of the oda forces were executed, but yasuke was spared by akechi because he considered him an ******* because of his black skin and that he should be given back to the christian barbarians since he was their property. This decision did safe yasukes live, but it also did dishonor him deeply and as a proud muslim man and a once free samurai the fate to return to his former christian owners must have seem worse than death to him. However yasukes adventure must not have ended at that point since 2 years later a mysterious tall african gunman was seen in the service of arima harunobu and thus the tall african gunman could indeed have been the legendary swordsman of the oda clan and now ronin yasuke.

That was the tale of yasuke the famous black samurai of japan. I hoped you enjoyed reading it. I tried to use my own style of writing and type it down myself because I thought it would honor him more instead of just copying everything. But since english is not my first language it will contain errors and I apologize to you in advance for it.

samurai yasuke.jpg

What a remarkable story, thank you for taking the time and effort to share this with us. One of the better posts on this site. What do you think people think of this historical person in modern day Japan?

hello, thank you for your response. actually they don't think all that much about him he is more of a curiosity in our history. I mainly wanted to present him, since here are a lot of black men and most people probably did not know a black samurai did exist. oda nobunaga is the famous one in this pairing and yasuke was more or less a side kick. a skillfull warrior, but if it was not that he was black he would have been forgotten by now since he did not shape our history in any form. in todays japan he is popular in a way that there is art about him made like statues and drawings and he also has some anime shows that are loosely based on this character like the anime that is simply called yasuke but is not historical as it contains elements like magic or a battle robot or the anime afro samurai where the main character is a black samurai. so in a way he serves the purpose of enterainment. it is actually hard for me to compare him to a figure from american history, since I don't know it very well but maybe stand watie would be close. he was a full native american in the service of the confederate army and the last general to surrender. he seems curious to me too in a way but was probably not that important.

Last edited:
Once you understand history in it's context. You will find out history is a narrative we have been taught. Meaning japan has rich history of so called black people

I think most of you will never have heard of him and thats a shame so I decided to make a thread for him - the legendary black swordsman of japan yasuke !

Its nor really clear were yasuke was born most historians think it was mozambique other sources say it was sudan but he came to japan in 1579 as a slave to portuguese missionaries. Yasuke was very black in the chronicle of lord nobunaga he was described as black as a bull and since oda nobunaga had never seen a black man before he feard it was a trick and made him strip down and scrub his skin to show it was not black ink. Yasuke was also very strong, he was described as strong as 10 japanese men and could speak japanese which impressed nobunaga greatly and because of that he made him serve him not as a slave but as his bodyguard. After winning nobunagas trust and friendship yasuke was given his own residence, some money and the greatest gift of all - he was bestowed the honor to become noble samurai thus the legend of the black samurai was born. But it was not for long because shortly after the battle of tenmokuzan, where he wiped out the remnants of the takeda clan oda nobunaga was surprised by an attack of the treacherous army of makedi mitsuhide and had to commit ritual suicide. Yasuke was always on his masters side but could not prevent his fate. He remained loyal to the oda clan and so the crest of the oda clan the japanese quince became also his and did guide him on his honorable way to join forces with oda nobunagas heir ota nobutada to avenge the death of his former master. In the end after putting up an valiant fight with the remaining 200 men of the oda clan yasuke was captured by akechi and his 13000 men strong army and had to give up his sword. Ota nobutada had to commit ritual suicide and the rest of the oda forces were executed, but yasuke was spared by akechi because he considered him an ******* because of his black skin and that he should be given back to the christian barbarians since he was their property. This decision did safe yasukes live, but it also did dishonor him deeply and as a proud muslim man and a once free samurai the fate to return to his former christian owners must have seem worse than death to him. However yasukes adventure must not have ended at that point since 2 years later a mysterious tall african gunman was seen in the service of arima harunobu and thus the tall african gunman could indeed have been the legendary swordsman of the oda clan and now ronin yasuke.

That was the tale of yasuke the famous black samurai of japan. I hoped you enjoyed reading it. I tried to use my own style of writing and type it down myself because I thought it would honor him more instead of just copying everything. But since english is not my first language it will contain errors and I apologize to you in advance for it.

View attachment 6367977
Yes, I have read a little bit about him I actually have the book African Samurai. I came across him by reading a book by Dr. Ivan Van Sertima called the Early Black Presence in Asia ...well documented book that speaks of. Ancient Black skin civilizations that existed in different parts of Asia. Also, there is a guy by the name of Joseph Harris African Presence in Asia ....several years ago they were on Nightline ....explaining the Black skin presence in different countries in Middle and Far East ....

Thank you for sharing this. I find this absolutely fascinating and I'm definitely going to read up more on him and the historical African presence in Asia.

Thank you for sharing this. I find this absolutely fascinating and I'm definitely going to read up more on him and the historical African presence in Asia.
We were scattered around the earth. And the original people to these lands. People need to learn proper history.

That's why there is a difference between imperial Rome. And Rome. Who were the native people there. And who conquered it. Then mixed with the people their to change the race. Understand history. Hannibal was defeated by imperial Rome

I think most of you will never have heard of him and thats a shame so I decided to make a thread for him - the legendary black swordsman of japan yasuke ! Its nor really clear were yasuke was born most historians think it was mozambique other sources say it was sudan but he came to japan in 1579 as a slave to portuguese missionaries. Yasuke was very black in the chronicle of lord nobunaga he was described as black as a bull and since oda nobunaga had never seen a black man before he feard it was a trick and made him strip down and scrub his skin to show it was not black ink. Yasuke was also very strong, he was described as strong as 10 japanese men and could speak japanese which impressed nobunaga greatly and because of that he made him serve him not as a slave but as his bodyguard. After winning nobunagas trust and friendship yasuke was given his own residence, some money and the greatest gift of all - he was bestowed the honor to become noble samurai thus the legend of the black samurai was born. But it was not for long because shortly after the battle of tenmokuzan, where he wiped out the remnants of the takeda clan oda nobunaga was surprised by an attack of the treacherous army of makedi mitsuhide and had to commit ritual suicide. Yasuke was always on his masters side but could not prevent his fate. He remained loyal to the oda clan and so the crest of the oda clan the japanese quince became also his and did guide him on his honorable way to join forces with oda nobunagas heir ota nobutada to avenge the death of his former master. In the end after putting up an valiant fight with the remaining 200 men of the oda clan yasuke was captured by akechi and his 13000 men strong army and had to give up his sword. Ota nobutada had to commit ritual suicide and the rest of the oda forces were executed, but yasuke was spared by akechi because he considered him an ******* because of his black skin and that he should be given back to the christian barbarians since he was their property. This decision did safe yasukes live, but it also did dishonor him deeply and as a proud muslim man and a once free samurai the fate to return to his former christian owners must have seem worse than death to him. However yasukes adventure must not have ended at that point since 2 years later a mysterious tall african gunman was seen in the service of arima harunobu and thus the tall african gunman could indeed have been the legendary swordsman of the oda clan and now ronin yasuke. That was the tale of yasuke the famous black samurai of japan. I hoped you enjoyed reading it. I tried to use my own style of writing and type it down myself because I thought it would honor him more instead of just copying everything. But since english is not my first language it will contain errors and I apologize to you in advance for it. Yes, I have read a little bit about him I actually have the book African Samurai. I came across him by reading a book by Dr. Ivan Van Sertima called the Early Black Presence in Asia ...well documented book that speaks of. Ancient Black skin civilizations that existed in different parts of Asia. Also, there is a guy by the name of Joseph Harris African Presence in Asia ....several years ago they were on Nightline ....explaining the Black skin presence in different countries in Middle and Far East .... I think most of you will never have heard of him and thats a shame so I decided to make a thread for him - the legendary black swordsman of japan yasuke ! Its nor really clear were yasuke was born most historians think it was mozambique other sources say it was sudan but he came to japan in 1579 as a slave to portuguese missionaries. Yasuke was very black in the chronicle of lord nobunaga he was described as black as a bull and since oda nobunaga had never seen a black man before he feard it was a trick and made him strip down and scrub his skin to show it was not black ink. Yasuke was also very strong, he was described as strong as 10 japanese men and could speak japanese which impressed nobunaga greatly and because of that he made him serve him not as a slave but as his bodyguard. After winning nobunagas trust and friendship yasuke was given his own residence, some money and the greatest gift of all - he was bestowed the honor to become noble samurai thus the legend of the black samurai was born. But it was not for long because shortly after the battle of tenmokuzan, where he wiped out the remnants of the takeda clan oda nobunaga was surprised by an attack of the treacherous army of makedi mitsuhide and had to commit ritual suicide. Yasuke was always on his masters side but could not prevent his fate. He remained loyal to the oda clan and so the crest of the oda clan the japanese quince became also his and did guide him on his honorable way to join forces with oda nobunagas heir ota nobutada to avenge the death of his former master. In the end after putting up an valiant fight with the remaining 200 men of the oda clan yasuke was captured by akechi and his 13000 men strong army and had to give up his sword. Ota nobutada had to commit ritual suicide and the rest of the oda forces were executed, but yasuke was spared by akechi because he considered him an ******* because of his black skin and that he should be given back to the christian barbarians since he was their property. This decision did safe yasukes live, but it also did dishonor him deeply and as a proud muslim man and a once free samurai the fate to return to his former christian owners must have seem worse than death to him. However yasukes adventure must not have ended at that point since 2 years later a mysterious tall african gunman was seen in the service of arima harunobu and thus the tall african gunman could indeed have been the legendary swordsman of the oda clan and now ronin yasuke. That was the tale of yasuke the famous black samurai of japan. I hoped you enjoyed reading it. I tried to use my own style of writing and type it down myself because I thought it would honor him more instead of just copying everything. But since english is not my first language it will contain errors and I apologize to you in advance for it. Thank you very muck Akik hello, thank you for your response. actually they don't think all that much about him he is more of a curiosity in our history. I mainly wanted to present him, since here are a lot of black men and most people probably did not know a black samurai did exist. oda nobunaga is the famous one in this pairing and yasuke was more or less a side kick. a skillfull warrior, but if it was not that he was black he would have been forgotten by now since he did not shape our history in any form. in todays japan he is popular in a way that there is art about him made like statues and drawings and he also has some anime shows that are loosely based on this character like the anime that is simply called yasuke but is not historical as it contains elements like magic or a battle robot or the anime afro samurai where the main character is a black samurai. so in a way he serves the purpose of enterainment. it is actually hard for me to compare him to a figure from american history, since I don't know it very well but maybe stand watie would be close. he was a full native american in the service of the confederate army and the last general to surrender. he seems curious to me too in a way but was probably not that important.

Thank you very much Akiko. There are some more stories about Yasuke, including a in development Hollywood movie about him. I think your contribution is showing than bla k men are more than sexual machines, but great impacters on world history.

You are welcome ! ..Remarkable research has been done by Runoko Rashidi....has several books and videos on the subject of Early Black Presence in Asia .....Journal of African Civilization another source as well.. ..Wayne Chandler does presentations on the subject ...out of Washington DC........

Back