Vintage blacktowhite ... when it was really taboo

Its amazing what you can find and how quickly you can find it on the internet. All the geneology research that's been previously done makes it easy to pull up info on practically anyone in the 19th century and on ... I did a research on this John Carter guy (poster) ... he and his wife, Louisa were in the process of liquidating their estate and moving to the free-state of Indiana, which was the purpose of the sale. His family was tracked all the way back to Corotoman, England to John Carter I (1613-1669) who was bigtime in the slave trading industry back then. There's more info on all this in the John Carter-Brown Library.

View attachment 210202
very well done MacNFries, it is painful for some folks to see, but it is part of our country's history and should not be forgotten. Fortunately we have some smart and literate guys on site, so glad to see you opening up a thread that is informative..Torpedo was right, just like the Holocaust, the Middle Passage and Reconstruction has to retained. The racism and anti-Semitism is ingrained in some people and cultures. We are never very far from evil and it raises it's head periodically in genocide (Cambodia, Rwanda, Bosnia and lesser know locations)..so thanks and drive on..OSP

my favorite photo from this era - this big city hepster girl. all over the country, girls from small, conservative towns picked up and moved to nyc or san francisco looking for more in life. and that often included exploring their sexuality in a new world of black men. this girl is SO hot! and so into black . . .
View attachment 200947
let me look around and see what other pictures i've got. i think we'll go to the 30s next.
Raylene, this pic reminds me of an article in Vanity Fair, about one of the heiresses of the Rothschild family (one of the great European financial dynasties), who was a dedicated lover of modern jazz and particularly Thelonius Monk. She supported him through thick and thin, because of his genius, he also exhibited what we now call Bi-Polar characteristics, so he was not very stable and resorted to self medication..with her wealth, she didn't care one bit what proper white society thought..proves again, love transcend color, or cultures..osp

thanks for the observation, osp! i checked it out and found out you are right. her name was pannonica ('nica") de koenigswarter. nica divorced her white, aristocratic husband, and she was disinherited by her family for her lifestyle in 50s america, living with jazz greats like charlie parker and especially thelonius monk. when she and monk were busted for marijuana possession, she took the rap so he could go on with his music. here's a photo of nica:
Pannonica_de_Koenigswarter.jpg
in some circles, nica was known as the "bebop baroness."

Back