School Shooting in Oregon

Mrs.InCharge

Couple
Gold Member
From
OK, US
I know, buzzkill but...

So Steven and I like everyone else, are currently discussing this horrible tragedy and all the socio-political sidelines that derive from it.

Steven stated to me that he can relate to the background stories that many of these young men experienced. I was shocked to hear that even my Steven was at one point despondent, frustrated and angry at society at large and that this is actually very common among you white males.

The next obvious question I have is what do we do to engage these guys to either ease their anger or at least give them an outlet before they even purchase a weapon?

I'd enjoy all thoughts.

Sincerely,

Sara

I'm not sure if there's any one solution to prevent tragedies like this. But here's something I think may help. Providing those individuals a sense of belonging, let them know that they fit in and are not outcasts, they need people that genuinely care for them.

These are just my two cents, thanks for providing the form for me to respond.

I'm wondering if most cold-blooded murderers try to find excuses for their behavior. Like the Denver theater guy. Or the church shooting murderer. Same with rapists, bank robbers and carjackers, baby molesters, dog-fighters and other ******* abusers, wife beaters and other brutes, etc.

Maybe it's our crime-glorifying culture! It seems like we love criminal activity and tat our youths are encouraged via video-games and/or our media to idolize car thieves, murderers, bullies, etc. The most popular RPG's seem to revolve around theft and violence. And they seem very realistic. Maybe even educational, in a negative way.

Not all of the youths here act out on these things, obviously. And probably most have no problem separating fantasy from reality. Sadly, this guy did. Coddling him may have made a difference, maybe not. It seems he was somehow able to justify his actions. So very, very sad for those and their loved-ones who fell victim. But our society doesn't seem to have any desire to change course. It feels like the powers-that-be are very content with the way things are going, even when they lie and say that they're not. Maybe if we're a more violent people we can easily become more violent when they need us to be. Or maybe instead of that, we as humans are just innately violent creatures and have been since our beginnings in the Great Rift Valley. Who knows? Even many of our popular sporting events revolve around violence towards one another or towards animals...just like in the Roman Coliseums.

I'm not sure if there's any one solution to prevent tragedies like this. But here's something I think may help. Providing those individuals a sense of belonging, let them know that they fit in and are not outcasts, they need people that genuinely care for them.

These are just my two cents, thanks for providing the form for me to respond.

I don't think they would accept the meaning or offer to belong. Nearly all of those who comitte these crimes have a paranoid sense of isolation and despair. Add to that the feeling they are never goin to be listened too as 'they know better' therefor need no ones advice.

Well, its for sure that if Republicans won't agree to restrict certain weapons, or tighten background checks, then mental health care benefits shouldn't also be on their cut list, but it is. The killings will become more frequent and the gun lobbyists love their control of Congress. They block everything that has anything to do with guns, gun regulations, or implementing new gun safety. There was a really good article in this morning's newspaper, Guns As Public Health Problem by Nicholas Kristof, in the NY Times that stated a few interesting facts:
  • More US gun deaths since 1970 (1.45 million by suicides, murders, accidents) than all US military war deaths since 1775 (1.4 million)
  • More pre-schoolers are shot dead in the US each year than police officers in the line of duty. We've had 8 pre-teens killed by gun fire in my state, alone ... this year!
  • In 1999 the government listed the gun stores that sold the most weapons later linked to crimes, embarrassing the stores at the top of the list. Wouldn't you know it, in 2003 Congress barred the government from publishing such information.
The gun lobbyists & NRA OWN Congress. "I got a constitutional right to own any gun I want!" ......gif_Yellowball-machinegun.gif

Last edited:
Well, its for sure that if Republicans won't agree to restrict certain weapons, or tighten background checks, mental health care benefits shouldn't also be on their cut list, but it is. The killings will become more frequent and the gun lobbyists love their control of Congress. They block everything that has anything to do with guns, gun regulations, or implementing new gun safety. There was a really good article in this morning's newspaper, Guns As Public Health Problem by Nicholas Kristof, in the NY Times that stated a few interesting facts:
  • More US gun deaths since 1970 (1.45 million by suicides, murders, accidents) than all US war deaths since 1775 (1.4 million)
  • More pre-schoolers are shot dead in the US each year than police officers in the line of duty. We've had 8 pre-teens killed by gun fire in my state, alone ... this year!
  • In 1999 the government listed the gun stores that sold the most weapons later linked to crimes, embarrassing the stores at the top of the list. Wouldn't you know it, in 2003 Congress barred the government from publishing such information.
The gun lobbyists & NRA OWN Congress. "I got a constitutional right to own any gun I want!" ......View attachment 674811
If there were no guns to be used to commit these atrocities, the perpetrators of these crimes might just resort to using sharpened stones. Of course, the number of casualties would probably be much less...unless they rolled a boulder down upon their victims! Yikes!

Still, I've got to wonder if a shift in what we glorify might reduce these numbers. Maybe if scientists and inventors and teachers and such were awarded as much or maybe even more respect than professional athletes or entertainers or crime lords or others who seem to always be the focus of our media.

Still, it´s true that the gun lobbies go nutso even if a politician is opposed to the manufacture and/or use of cluster bombs, phosphorus bombs or landmines. Really nothing to do with any Second Amendment. Says a lot about their true agenda, I feel.

I am actually a huge fan of gun ownership and I shoot regularly but I think MacnFries is right. We have reduced the access to mental healthcare so much I think that more needs to be done to provide those services.

I also think that the level of isolation that occurs is more rampant. The internet can be a nasty place and if you don't have good outside connections I can see very easily how a young maligned person could be encouraged to lash out.

Let's face it, folks, if the politicians (either party) are given enough money, they'll legislate ANYTHING in favor of their rich constituents. They're whores, but they just trade a different type of service for money.

I too am a huge supporter of second amendment rights and i have been a shooter since i was young enough to pick up a gun.

Realistically i dont see gun control as ever being the solution. There are far too many guns in this country to regulate and if people want them for harm there would always be a black market for them.

.....Conservatives will support birth control and abortion rights when its finally their own daughters that are raped and impregnated. And they'll support stricter gun law legislation when its their own families being murdered by the psychos and lawless thugs. It has to "hit home" for some.
.....No one's talking about "taking away the people's rights to own guns" ... heck, I own guns myself, but that's how the conservatives make it appear. It's NOT an "all or nothing" issue..Gun control legislation works ... read about how Australia and GB addressed the issues. Gun lobbyists and the NRA speak through the voices of the congressmen they've managed to "BUY" ... nothing more. We can continue to lie to ourselves if we so choose, but eventually our poor decisions will come home to haunt us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...republicans_56141558e4b0baa355ad8f37?w07o80k9

But, then, what should we expect? I mean, they can't even elect a Speaker of the House! NO ONE wants that job ... don't blame 'em! If they can't manage their own party, how can we expect them to run and legislate our country?

Last edited:
I would prefer we actually start using the laws we have and prosecuting people who violate the current gun laws. Our judicial system in this country is a joke. People are not afraid to commit crimes. They know they will get off or get some short time in jail then parole or probation.

I would prefer we actually start using the laws we have and prosecuting people who violate the current gun laws. Our judicial system in this country is a joke.
I certainly can't argue that point, but then we could say the same about our immigration laws and a host of other laws. Let's first face the fact that our key figures are being bought out by Big Money ... its often the only reason white folks get lesser sentences for committing the same crimes as black folks.

.....Conservatives will support birth control and abortion rights when its finally their own daughters that are raped and impregnated. And they'll support stricter gun law legislation when its their own families being murdered by the psychos and lawless thugs. It has to "hit home" for some.
.....No one's talking about "taking away the people's rights to own guns" ... heck, I own guns myself, but that's how the conservatives make it appear. It's NOT an "all or nothing" issue..Gun control legislation works ... read about how Australia and GB addressed the issues. Gun lobbyists and the NRA speak through the voices of the congressmen they've managed to "BUY" ... nothing more. We can continue to lie to ourselves if we so choose, but eventually our poor decisions will come home to haunt us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...republicans_56141558e4b0baa355ad8f37?w07o80k9

But, then, what should we expect? I mean, they can't even elect a Speaker of the House! NO ONE wants that job ... don't blame 'em! If they can't manage their own party, how can we expect them to run and legislate our country?
Mac, you may not be talking about abolishing the second amendment. There are reasonable restrictions that can be put on gun ownership - no criminals, no one with mental health problems, complete background checks on all sales. I have no problems with any of that.
Unfortunately, many of your fellow liberals ARE talking about eliminating the second amendment, like Obama. It is a way to make it impossible for the public to defend itself from a power mad government, like we have now.

I certainly can't argue that point, but then we could say the same about our immigration laws and a host of other laws. Let's first face the fact that our key figures are being bought out by Big Money ... its often the only reason white folks get lesser sentences for committing the same crimes as black folks.
So, eliminate lobbyists in Washington and elsewhere.

This is a lost cause. Society is decaying..Apathy is rampant Most of the young are more concerned with taking selfies or taking videos of themselves. Expect more and worse. Sorry that's just the truth. We're a broken species and only an extreme apocalyptic event will wake us from our complacency. How's the for cynicism :)

This is a lost cause. Society is decaying... How's the for cynicism :)
By "lost cause" I am assuming you're still on the topic of school shootings & gun legislation? Or are you generalizing society as a whole?
Our society is being controlled by a few small % of people & corporations ... this sense of "hopelessness" occurred at least once before in our history, well over a century ago, and it was eventually defeated; it will be again. With close to 50% of our citizens (in the US) living in poverty, things obviously look gloomy for the majority of the people. Last voting cycle, we had less than 17% of voters to turn out at the polls ... that's ridiculous. It will change, because people are starting to get mad and impatient with the childishness of our government officials. I'm surprised, with the existence of the internet, however, that things haven't changed a bit faster than they have; but momentum is building, and the ******* will hit the fan in the near future. Enough is enough!

Back