How do I stop procastinating and motivate myself to do study harder in college?

This might be the million dollar question.

Speaking as universally as possible, the 2nd and 3rd years of college are the least motivating, for sure. It's no longer new, but graduation seems so far off. People start changing majors. You learn where the parties are and who to attend them with. The whole experience starts to become a significant investment in time and money.

I guess the big question is this; why are you being lazy in your studies? Are you lazy in other aspects of life? If not, I'd probably assess why you're in college. Are you there because your friends went so you did too? Is it family pressure? Do you truly love your major? Were you told that college is the way to go if you want to be successful in life?

If you truly love your major and you're content with it but can't find the motivation to dig into the books and study, that's one thing. If that's the case then you should try to form or join study groups with students in your courses, spend more time in the library and at campus study spots, join a professional society that supports your major (most offer significant student discounts), attend professional conferences related to your major, and start networking with established professionals now. Also, don't be afraid to do more than one internship. Employers eat that up.

If you're in college for any reason other truly loving your major you should get out now. Higher education is pushed entirely too hard in this country. Trades and skilled jobs are where the bread and butter are. Your professors will never admit it, but, college is nothing more than a financial engine that exists to create an excess of wasteful and irrelevant administrative positions, a massive loan and banking industry, and an entire universe of sports, sports media, sports merchandise, etc. Look at the people in your life who have gone to college and those who haven't. Ask yourself if one is any better off in life than the other.

I'm not encouraging you to quit school. I'm simply telling you that college isn't for everyone and it's improperly marketed in this country. There's also nothing wrong with taking time off, working, and making up your mind later.

Best of luck!

I had a similar problem when I was in college; to be honest, giving advice for this is a lot easier than taking it, that's for sure. Its like asking someone how to lose weight. I doubt I missed many parties, and was always on the lookout for new "pussy". I managed to graduate only because I managed my time, but the real quest is to find the "motivation", because IF you can find THAT, everything else pretty much falls in line.
YoungBBC, if you don't have a clear vision or interest in a particular profession or field, maybe its best to do something until you do .... like join the military, for example. The military gives you a lot of testing to find out what your interests are and what you're more capable of doing. Sometimes its things you never even gave consideration. When you get out of the military, you'll have a lot of your schooling paid for, with a more clear vision as to what you might want to do with your life. AND, you'll probably be a lot more disciplined and focused on life.
The fact you ask the question is a good sign in and of itself ... good for you.
Best of luck at finding that ANSWER! Mac

I'm compelled to respond in the context that education is a must. The power struggle will between the elite of those that know and those that don't. By being in college and asking this question you have position yourself to a higher sense of being that only needs development of which college may give to survive, but the strategic tactics to thrive. However, be keenly aware that college will only educate you, not teach you, that's for life long "EXPERIENCE". I don't mean being able to recite the sports teams by name and points scored; or hanging with the Bro's at the club; not even sticking your Dick in some white soft, fleshy, pink, cunt (of which I advocate you do, everyday); it is your focus on the "REAL WORLD". That focus is, college education, a work ethic, integrety and controlling lots of white pussy will target you to "THRIVE".

No use going to college IF you don't know what you'd like to do (career-wise) with your life. It'd be like studying to be an engineer only to find out your real passion in life is working with animals and becoming a veterinary. That's why I suggest, before even considering college, one take the time to find out what their passion(s) in life are. Some folks haven't even given it thought, yet waste time & thousands of $ on a degree. The military is one option where they'll add structure, discipline, and get help in determining what a person is capable & interested in doing. Want to see the world ... join the Navy. Plenty of white & Asian chicks overseas who love sailors. Then, when its all over, one has a government paycheck helping with the education.

No use going to college IF you don't know what you'd like to do (career-wise) with your life. It'd be like studying to be an engineer only to find out your real passion in life is working with animals and becoming a veterinary. That's why I suggest, before even considering college, one take the time to find out what their passion(s) in life are. Some folks haven't even given it thought, yet waste time & thousands of $ on a degree. The military is one option where they'll add structure, discipline, and get help in determining what a person is capable & interested in doing. Want to see the world ... join the Navy. Plenty of white & Asian chicks overseas who love sailors. Then, when its all over, one has a government paycheck helping with the education.
Knowledge is power, everything else is the follower theory with untold effects....

Last edited:
I'm 21 and a sophomore on college. I need help with getting over procrastinating and being lazy.

Ok try this little experiment. It’s not hard. Create three internet identities. One with a college degree and one with out and one with a trade journey mans ticket. Put them on LinkedIn. See what jobs you get offered. Then make up your mind it should take a month to have the results.

I’m in college too - I used to struggle sooo bad with procrastinating. But someone said to me so bluntly and straight to the point...

“You’re going to have to submit your paper at 11:59pm regardless - that’s not changing. So why give yourself the added stress of doing it under pressure at the last minute?” Logical and simple, but it was like a light bulb went off, lol.

Never went to college. To steal Ted Nugent line, I was to busy learning stuff.
But one thing I learned was to use the the rocker test. Imagine yourself 50 years from now and how you turned out if quit or flunked out. Then imagine on your rocker on the front porch how your life turned turned out if you busted your butt and graduated.
I do agree that you have to be passionate about your major. Any doubts and I am sure the college can help clarify things for you

I know for an absolute fact that the first step is the hardest. What I do in these situations is say to myself that I'm just going to take a look at what I need to do. I'm just going to give it half an hour, then I'll do something else. More often than not, that first step is enough to get the ball rolling.
Good luck.

Back