Recent news coverage

artgirl

Female
Gold Member
Frankly I'm not sure how to digest the amount of coverage of the shooting death on the set of Rush. I have nothing but sorrow over the tragic death of that young woman. I hope her family and friends get the support they need. That includes Alec Baldwin who is probably devastated. I've worked with those who've taken lives in war who were effected for years after what in most cases was a justified *******, me or them situation. But many had minor to serious reactions to taking life even though trained to do just that.
In America we have a history of accidental gun deaths. 2006 to 2016 there were 6,885 or a average of 688 a year. These deaths passed with little and many times no national coverage. Why then is this one death a media blitz? All those other lives were just as cherished by those who knew them. I've read despicable posts about Baldwin that obviously are based on hate for the man and nothing about the accident. Hundreds of posts about pointing a gun, unthinking in a way, correct in another. I own guns and i was taught not to handle a gun without knowing if it's loaded. But then i don't live on a movie set with three people i think they said being paid to handle and make sure weapons are properly identified as safe or live. I would Never point a gun at anyone unless it's a case of defense, one of those you or them situations. Thankful every day for not having to make that choice.
This situation however makes that never point seem unthinking. I think of how few of those Baldwin should not have pointed a gun commenters would dole out money to watch any action film where the actors were not pointing the weapons in the direction of the actor the rounds were supposed to be hitting. I'm sure that production would get millions of negative reviews. Phony, crap, unrealistic pop into my thoughts. Possibly i have a different perception having watched several movies being made . Old Tucson was a favorite spot to see the stars. We waited for hours to see Ricky Nelson in a John Wayne movie. There were so many people around the scene that a gun pointed in any direction other than straight up would almost certainly hit someone or several if a live round were fired.
Some of the media hype appears to be pushing for charges against Baldwin, A big part of my confusion. Why? he was handed a gun by the person in charge of it who announced to the entire set cold weapon. A industry term for empty gun, not even a blank. I think of the man who left his loaded weapon on his girlfriends coffee table. Her young ******* picked it up and accidentally shot his friend dead. No charges filed, no media blitz for charges. In my mind he seems more at fault than Baldwin. His gun he knew was loaded, left where a seven year old could pick it up. Safety off and the accidental discharge killed that baby's friend. The woman didn't say leave your gun there my kid won't touch it. In accidental shootings charges are hardly ever filed Even though there is always fault in some degree. I've always thought that was because there is never intent to do harm and the victim is usually a friend or family member making the death more punishment than a court could hand out.
Just wondering what others think. Not about gun ownership That could cause hate filled responses a very touchy subject. More along the lines of equal treatment of people in our media. Should a person deemed a celebrity be the focus of a story when they are in reality not the main part of it. There is a gun issue of responsibility. Should laws be passed covering neglect or improper handling of a firearm that causes death. We have manslaughter and in some places wrongful death laws but they are rarely applied in accidental deaths. Many times these deemed accidents are only perused in civil courts by law suits over damages. My thoughts on that too are are subject to opinion. I can't imagine any amount of money that could relieve the accidental death of my guy or baby by a mishandled gun. I can't imagine anyone being able to do that. Leading me to my final thought, no amount of jail time for the person judged at fault would make it right either.
Impossible ? Something needs to be done to impress the importance of not ignoring safety when guns are involved. If that were solved lives would be saved, how to accomplish that is a mystery. Got any ideas?

Frankly I'm not sure how to digest the amount of coverage of the shooting death on the set of Rush. I have nothing but sorrow over the tragic death of that young woman. I hope her family and friends get the support they need. That includes Alec Baldwin who is probably devastated. I've worked with those who've taken lives in war who were effected for years after what in most cases was a justified *******, me or them situation. But many had minor to serious reactions to taking life even though trained to do just that.
In America we have a history of accidental gun deaths. 2006 to 2016 there were 6,885 or a average of 688 a year. These deaths passed with little and many times no national coverage. Why then is this one death a media blitz? All those other lives were just as cherished by those who knew them. I've read despicable posts about Baldwin that obviously are based on hate for the man and nothing about the accident. Hundreds of posts about pointing a gun, unthinking in a way, correct in another. I own guns and i was taught not to handle a gun without knowing if it's loaded. But then i don't live on a movie set with three people i think they said being paid to handle and make sure weapons are properly identified as safe or live. I would Never point a gun at anyone unless it's a case of defense, one of those you or them situations. Thankful every day for not having to make that choice.
This situation however makes that never point seem unthinking. I think of how few of those Baldwin should not have pointed a gun commenters would dole out money to watch any action film where the actors were not pointing the weapons in the direction of the actor the rounds were supposed to be hitting. I'm sure that production would get millions of negative reviews. Phony, crap, unrealistic pop into my thoughts. Possibly i have a different perception having watched several movies being made . Old Tucson was a favorite spot to see the stars. We waited for hours to see Ricky Nelson in a John Wayne movie. There were so many people around the scene that a gun pointed in any direction other than straight up would almost certainly hit someone or several if a live round were fired.
Some of the media hype appears to be pushing for charges against Baldwin, A big part of my confusion. Why? he was handed a gun by the person in charge of it who announced to the entire set cold weapon. A industry term for empty gun, not even a blank. I think of the man who left his loaded weapon on his girlfriends coffee table. Her young ******* picked it up and accidentally shot his friend dead. No charges filed, no media blitz for charges. In my mind he seems more at fault than Baldwin. His gun he knew was loaded, left where a seven year old could pick it up. Safety off and the accidental discharge killed that baby's friend. The woman didn't say leave your gun there my kid won't touch it. In accidental shootings charges are hardly ever filed Even though there is always fault in some degree. I've always thought that was because there is never intent to do harm and the victim is usually a friend or family member making the death more punishment than a court could hand out.
Just wondering what others think. Not about gun ownership That could cause hate filled responses a very touchy subject. More along the lines of equal treatment of people in our media. Should a person deemed a celebrity be the focus of a story when they are in reality not the main part of it. There is a gun issue of responsibility. Should laws be passed covering neglect or improper handling of a firearm that causes death. We have manslaughter and in some places wrongful death laws but they are rarely applied in accidental deaths. Many times these deemed accidents are only perused in civil courts by law suits over damages. My thoughts on that too are are subject to opinion. I can't imagine any amount of money that could relieve the accidental death of my guy or baby by a mishandled gun. I can't imagine anyone being able to do that. Leading me to my final thought, no amount of jail time for the person judged at fault would make it right either.
Impossible ? Something needs to be done to impress the importance of not ignoring safety when guns are involved. If that were solved lives would be saved, how to accomplish that is a mystery. Got any ideas?
Gun safety class in high school and/or college required for graduation

Back