Pulitzer-winning reporter David Cay Johnston: Trump wins in 2020

Jyaku

Couple
The saga of President Donald Trump consists of several parallel and intersecting stories.

There is the structural dimension. Trump's victory over Hillary Clinton was not entirely unpredictable or shocking. America's crisis in civic literacy, political polarization, rampant anti-intellectualism, deeply embedded sexism and racism, greed, broken schools and weakened democratic institutions, as well as a hollowed-out public sphere where people confuse celebrity with human worth, made the election of someone like Trump nearly inevitable.

There is Donald Trump the man, who seems to revel in the very worst human values. His closest family members -- including his ******* and grandfather -- taught him the "value" of unrepentant greed and ambition. He also displays the symptoms of malignant narcissism, as well as sociopathy. In all, Trump is a master of manipulation who leads a political cult.

How do these factors combine to form Donald Trump's presidency and the type of society that he and the Republican Party want to create? Are matters actually worse than they appear, in terms of how we assess the political and social crisis of Trump's presidency? What strategy should Democrats use to stop Trump and the Republican Party? If Trump is removed from office because of his increasingly obvious efforts to obstruct justice, how will his public respond? Will there be violence?

In an effort to answer these questions, I recently spoke with Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter David Cay Johnston. For 30 years, Johnston has covered Trump's life and career, as detailed in the bestselling book "The Making of Donald Trump." His new book is "It's Even Worse Than You Think: What the Trump Administration is Doing to America."

This conversation has been edited for clarity and length. A longer version of this conversation can also be heard on my podcast.

How was Donald Trump able to defeat Hillary Clinton and win the White House?

Well, a series of events came together. First of all, Hillary Clinton had a lot of baggage, and as Donna Brazile's book “Hacks” shows, she ran a poor campaign and did not listen to the advice of people who told her she needed to pay attention to what Trump was doing.

Secondly, the Republican challengers were a clown car of utterly unqualified people, which meant his lack of qualifications was not so noticeable. The one qualified candidate in that field was John Kasich.

Next, Donald ran on an economic platform that, on the surface, spoke to inequality and frustration. For example, in 2012, the bottom 90 percent of Americans reported a smaller income than in 1967. Donald tapped into that problem, but he’s a con artist who promised to drain the swamp and then stocked it with swamp monsters.

Another factor was the utter failure of journalists to vet Donald Trump. You can read about Barack Obama's kindergarten playmates in Indonesia by name, the boys he smoked dope with in high school by name and some of the women he dated in college by name. But The New York Times, in the 16 months from Trump's [campaign] announcement to Election Day, had exactly four references that had "Trump" and "Mafia" in the same story, and they were all in passing and inconsequential.

They also didn't report on the two income tax fraud trials that Trump lost. There was just a lot of stuff about Trump that was never reported because his campaign was like looking at a car crash on the other side of the highway, but it had dancing girls and a marching band and so you couldn't turn away from it.

For 40 years, the Republicans have done serious work preparing for the day when, as a minority party, they wanted to still be in control. So they have reduced the franchise. They've passed laws like this horrible law in Michigan that lets you throw out ballots on the most bogus grounds, entire precincts. All that combined to help Trump win the Electoral College.

Why were so many journalists and pundits unable to understand the true power of Trump's campaign? So much of what he did and continues to do is political performance art drawn from professional wrestling and reality TV. It isn't complicated.

Remember that campaign reporters cover the horse race. They focus on the sizzle and not the steak. Everybody was so taken by his unusual campaign that they just forgot about the basics.

You have studied and written about Donald Trump for three decades. What does the public need to know about his background, to understand his behavior as president?

Here are the key things people should know about Donald Trump. He comes from a family of criminals: His grandfather made his fortune running whorehouses in Seattle and in the Yukon Territory. His *******, Fred, had a business partner named Willie Tomasello, who was an associate of the Gambino crime family. Trump's ******* was also investigated by the U.S. Senate for ripping off the government for what would be the equivalent of $36 million in today's money. Donald got his showmanship from his dad, as well as his comfort with organized criminals.

I think it is very important for religious Americans to know that Donald Trump says that his personal philosophy of life is revenge. He has called anyone who turns the other cheek -- which is a fundamental teaching of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount -- a fool, an idiot or a schmuck. Trump is a man who says things that are absolutely contrary to the teachings of the New Testament. He also denigrates Christians. Yet you see all of these ministers endorsing him.

I've followed Donald for 30 years. I don't see any evidence that he has changed, and he certainly hasn't repented, which is a fundamental Christian obligation.

He is a racist through and through. He has been found in formal judicial proceedings to discriminate against nonwhites in rentals and employment.

It's important to understand that Trump is aggressively anti-Christian, despite claiming to be one. He is bluntly a racist. Most importantly, he is literally ignorant about almost everything.

Trump's voters will not abandon him under any circumstances. He leads the Republican Party and thus has its news media and other resources at his disposal. Some folks believe that there will be a "blue wave" of Democratic votes that will wash him and the Republican Party out to sea in 2018 and 2020. I don't see that happening. I think Trump wins in 2020. Am I being too cynical?

Well, he may win again in 2020. The November elections are the most important American elections since the Civil War, and I'm including 1932.

Based just on normal historic averages, the Republicans should lose control of the House by about four seats. They should lose control of the Senate as well, although the map is pretty awful for the Democrats. If Republicans retain control, then I believe what will happen over time is that someone who shares Trump's dictatorial and authoritarian tendencies but doesn't have his baggage -- someone who is a competent manager and just as charismatic -- will eventually arise and you can kiss your individual liberties goodbye. That will take time, but it's the trend we are heading towards.

On the other hand, if enough people go to the polls -- remember, roughly 100 million people did not vote in 2016 -- if the Democrats get organized, if they can persuade the public they have an agenda that goes beyond just getting rid of Trump and they get control of Congress, they will move to impeach him. They need a two-thirds majority in the Senate to convict him, but they will certainly move to have public hearings.

Is Trump an ideologue?

No. That's the whole point of the first chapter of my book, “President Like No Other.” The 44 previous presidents were all over the map. There were smart people and dumb people, there were people of impeccable integrity such as Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter, there were absolute scoundrels like Warren G. Harding. We had a murderous racist in the White House whose painting hangs in the Oval Office, now looking down on Trump. What distinguishes all those presidents, particularly Chester Arthur, the one closest to Trump, is that they tried in the context of their times to make America better.

Donald Trump is a man with this desperate need for adoration. He is an empty vessel, the exact opposite of Henry David Thoreau -- a "life unexamined." His only philosophy is the glorification of Donald.

If you were going to consult with the Democratic Party about how to defeat Trump and the Republican Party, what would you suggest?

I think most of what Hillary said came across as "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." What I would say to the Democrats is, "Your first and fundamental mission is to tell people what you are for." Not that you're against Trump. Being against Trump doesn't get you very far. It will get you some people who hate Trump. But what are you for? What you want to say is: We will get the incredible burden of health care off the back of small businesses. We will make it so you don't have to stick with an employer because you have health care and you don't want to run the risk of switching or losing it. We want to relieve business of the burden of health care like every other modern country, and it will save everyone money.

We want to invest in the future of America. So we will put more money into education and basic science. Did you know that half the economic growth in this country since the end of World War II can be traced to taxpayer investments in science?

We want investments at home that will create jobs. Our country is falling apart in front of our eyes. That will create an enormous number of jobs, but it will also make the economy more efficient. We want to invest in that future, which will make us all much better off. We're about building a prosperous future. We're not about looking back, as Donald Trump is, to the past.

This is a crucial point. People who've been had by con artists are ashamed, and the world is full of cases, I've written about some of them, you see see it in movies and TV shows. They just can't face the fact that they were tricked. It makes them feel stupid and foolish.

Well, people who got conned by Trump -- it's painful for many of them and they will do anything to avoid it. You don’t want to confront them, you don't want to make them feel stupid.

What do you think will happen with the Mueller investigation? Trump is not acting like an innocent person.

Well, Mueller has assembled an extraordinarily talented team. Here is what Mueller is going to find. Mueller has the Trump tax returns. A competent prosecutor would have them by now. The Trump tax returns are the beginning point. You have to get the books and records -- Donald has a long history of hiding books and records when they're sought by auditors. As for the Russians, it is beyond dispute at this point that the Trump campaign was actively involved in a conspiracy.

He's not exactly what Putin wanted, but most importantly, Trump's not Hillary Clinton, who would have gone up to the edge of war to make Putin give up Crimea. She made that very clear in a campaign. He would be in severe pain if he didn't give up the Crimean peninsula in eastern Ukraine. So he didn't want her, under any circumstances. Mueller is going to report on tax fraud, he's going to report on the Russians and he is going to show that the Trump campaign was knowingly being helped by the Russians. Remember that the Australian, Dutch and British intelligence agencies, and maybe others, went to the FBI, State Department and other contacts and said, "You folks have a problem. "

Where exactly Mueller will go beyond that, I don't know. His mission is the Russians, and the Russians are tied in with the tax returns. But remember this: The job of a prosecutor is not to bring the perfect case, it's not to bring the case that should be brought for political reasons. It's to bring the easiest, most solid case that wins. Mueller will do that. There is nothing that prevents indicting a sitting president, but it is an untested issue. Mueller is going to have to decide whether to indict him or to go to Congress.

If the overwhelming conclusion of the Mueller report is that the Russians put Trump in the White House, then you face a second terrible problem: What do you do about Mike Pence, who is also the beneficiary of Russian interference?

If the Congress impeaches and removes Trump and Pence, it will only be because the Democrats control Congress. So unless something else changes, we get President Nancy Pelosi. You can just imagine the people who will be in the streets screaming coup d’état if she's president. I think the only way to address that is for her, or whoever is speaker, to announce they will be a caretaker president who is not going to do anything extreme.

There is no good ending to the story. America will survive this, we'll get past it, but whenever Trump leaves, there's no good ending. If Trump is removed by impeachment or by the voters, whether in a Republican primary or a general election, I know what he will do. He's already told us what he will do by his actions. Trump will spend the rest of his days fomenting violence and revolution in this country.

He's careful not to directly say "revolution," but he will call the government illegitimate. He might even call it criminal, since he called Democrats who didn't stand up during his State of the Union speech treasonous. If they're going to impeach Trump, I believe they have to have a plan to indict, try, convict and imprison him. But Trump will be a role model for some people, and there may well be violence over it.

As Malcolm Nance and others have warned, Russia's interference in the 2016 election and likely infiltration of Trump's inner circle could be one of the worst intelligence disasters in American history, a failure of Benedict Arnold or Rosenberg proportions.

Let me be very clear and quotable about this. At an absolute minimum, Donald Trump has divided loyalties, and the evidence we already have suggests that Donald Trump is a traitor. In fact, I would say that the evidence we already have, the public materials such as emails for example, strongly indicate that Donald Trump is a traitor. However, I don't even think he understands what he's done.

https://www.salon.com/2018/04/23/pu...ton-the-evidence-suggests-trump-is-a-traitor/

Frightening but decent conjecture.

RE: Pulitzer-winning reporter David Cay Johnston: Trump wins in 2020
.... and, if he does, he wins just like he won 2016 ... he lies, cheats and gets help from Russia again. Then he complains when some of the opposition do him likewise. Personally, I can't see him even in office. I think Pence will take over the presidency just as Ford did for Nixon.

.... and, if he does, he wins just like he won 2016 ... he lies, cheats and gets help from Russia again. Then he complains when some of the opposition do him likewise. Personally, I can't see him even in office. I think Pence will take over the presidency just as Ford did for Nixon.

No offense @MacNfries , but given all of your predictions on this site over the past 6+ years or so about how the Democrats are going to win this or that election(s), you would understand my looking at your prediction with a raised eyebrow.

The saga of President Donald Trump consists of several parallel and intersecting stories.

There is the structural dimension. Trump's victory over Hillary Clinton was not entirely unpredictable or shocking. America's crisis in civic literacy, political polarization, rampant anti-intellectualism, deeply embedded sexism and racism, greed, broken schools and weakened democratic institutions, as well as a hollowed-out public sphere where people confuse celebrity with human worth, made the election of someone like Trump nearly inevitable.

There is Donald Trump the man, who seems to revel in the very worst human values. His closest family members -- including his ******* and grandfather -- taught him the "value" of unrepentant greed and ambition. He also displays the symptoms of malignant narcissism, as well as sociopathy. In all, Trump is a master of manipulation who leads a political cult.

How do these factors combine to form Donald Trump's presidency and the type of society that he and the Republican Party want to create? Are matters actually worse than they appear, in terms of how we assess the political and social crisis of Trump's presidency? What strategy should Democrats use to stop Trump and the Republican Party? If Trump is removed from office because of his increasingly obvious efforts to obstruct justice, how will his public respond? Will there be violence?

In an effort to answer these questions, I recently spoke with Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter David Cay Johnston. For 30 years, Johnston has covered Trump's life and career, as detailed in the bestselling book "The Making of Donald Trump." His new book is "It's Even Worse Than You Think: What the Trump Administration is Doing to America."

This conversation has been edited for clarity and length. A longer version of this conversation can also be heard on my podcast.

How was Donald Trump able to defeat Hillary Clinton and win the White House?

Well, a series of events came together. First of all, Hillary Clinton had a lot of baggage, and as Donna Brazile's book “Hacks” shows, she ran a poor campaign and did not listen to the advice of people who told her she needed to pay attention to what Trump was doing.

Secondly, the Republican challengers were a clown car of utterly unqualified people, which meant his lack of qualifications was not so noticeable. The one qualified candidate in that field was John Kasich.

Next, Donald ran on an economic platform that, on the surface, spoke to inequality and frustration. For example, in 2012, the bottom 90 percent of Americans reported a smaller income than in 1967. Donald tapped into that problem, but he’s a con artist who promised to drain the swamp and then stocked it with swamp monsters.

Another factor was the utter failure of journalists to vet Donald Trump. You can read about Barack Obama's kindergarten playmates in Indonesia by name, the boys he smoked dope with in high school by name and some of the women he dated in college by name. But The New York Times, in the 16 months from Trump's [campaign] announcement to Election Day, had exactly four references that had "Trump" and "Mafia" in the same story, and they were all in passing and inconsequential.

They also didn't report on the two income tax fraud trials that Trump lost. There was just a lot of stuff about Trump that was never reported because his campaign was like looking at a car crash on the other side of the highway, but it had dancing girls and a marching band and so you couldn't turn away from it.

For 40 years, the Republicans have done serious work preparing for the day when, as a minority party, they wanted to still be in control. So they have reduced the franchise. They've passed laws like this horrible law in Michigan that lets you throw out ballots on the most bogus grounds, entire precincts. All that combined to help Trump win the Electoral College.

Why were so many journalists and pundits unable to understand the true power of Trump's campaign? So much of what he did and continues to do is political performance art drawn from professional wrestling and reality TV. It isn't complicated.

Remember that campaign reporters cover the horse race. They focus on the sizzle and not the steak. Everybody was so taken by his unusual campaign that they just forgot about the basics.

You have studied and written about Donald Trump for three decades. What does the public need to know about his background, to understand his behavior as president?

Here are the key things people should know about Donald Trump. He comes from a family of criminals: His grandfather made his fortune running whorehouses in Seattle and in the Yukon Territory. His *******, Fred, had a business partner named Willie Tomasello, who was an associate of the Gambino crime family. Trump's ******* was also investigated by the U.S. Senate for ripping off the government for what would be the equivalent of $36 million in today's money. Donald got his showmanship from his dad, as well as his comfort with organized criminals.

I think it is very important for religious Americans to know that Donald Trump says that his personal philosophy of life is revenge. He has called anyone who turns the other cheek -- which is a fundamental teaching of Christ in the Sermon on the Mount -- a fool, an idiot or a schmuck. Trump is a man who says things that are absolutely contrary to the teachings of the New Testament. He also denigrates Christians. Yet you see all of these ministers endorsing him.

I've followed Donald for 30 years. I don't see any evidence that he has changed, and he certainly hasn't repented, which is a fundamental Christian obligation.

He is a racist through and through. He has been found in formal judicial proceedings to discriminate against nonwhites in rentals and employment.

It's important to understand that Trump is aggressively anti-Christian, despite claiming to be one. He is bluntly a racist. Most importantly, he is literally ignorant about almost everything.

Trump's voters will not abandon him under any circumstances. He leads the Republican Party and thus has its news media and other resources at his disposal. Some folks believe that there will be a "blue wave" of Democratic votes that will wash him and the Republican Party out to sea in 2018 and 2020. I don't see that happening. I think Trump wins in 2020. Am I being too cynical?

Well, he may win again in 2020. The November elections are the most important American elections since the Civil War, and I'm including 1932.

Based just on normal historic averages, the Republicans should lose control of the House by about four seats. They should lose control of the Senate as well, although the map is pretty awful for the Democrats. If Republicans retain control, then I believe what will happen over time is that someone who shares Trump's dictatorial and authoritarian tendencies but doesn't have his baggage -- someone who is a competent manager and just as charismatic -- will eventually arise and you can kiss your individual liberties goodbye. That will take time, but it's the trend we are heading towards.

On the other hand, if enough people go to the polls -- remember, roughly 100 million people did not vote in 2016 -- if the Democrats get organized, if they can persuade the public they have an agenda that goes beyond just getting rid of Trump and they get control of Congress, they will move to impeach him. They need a two-thirds majority in the Senate to convict him, but they will certainly move to have public hearings.

Is Trump an ideologue?

No. That's the whole point of the first chapter of my book, “President Like No Other.” The 44 previous presidents were all over the map. There were smart people and dumb people, there were people of impeccable integrity such as Barack Obama and Jimmy Carter, there were absolute scoundrels like Warren G. Harding. We had a murderous racist in the White House whose painting hangs in the Oval Office, now looking down on Trump. What distinguishes all those presidents, particularly Chester Arthur, the one closest to Trump, is that they tried in the context of their times to make America better.

Donald Trump is a man with this desperate need for adoration. He is an empty vessel, the exact opposite of Henry David Thoreau -- a "life unexamined." His only philosophy is the glorification of Donald.

If you were going to consult with the Democratic Party about how to defeat Trump and the Republican Party, what would you suggest?

I think most of what Hillary said came across as "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah." What I would say to the Democrats is, "Your first and fundamental mission is to tell people what you are for." Not that you're against Trump. Being against Trump doesn't get you very far. It will get you some people who hate Trump. But what are you for? What you want to say is: We will get the incredible burden of health care off the back of small businesses. We will make it so you don't have to stick with an employer because you have health care and you don't want to run the risk of switching or losing it. We want to relieve business of the burden of health care like every other modern country, and it will save everyone money.

We want to invest in the future of America. So we will put more money into education and basic science. Did you know that half the economic growth in this country since the end of World War II can be traced to taxpayer investments in science?

We want investments at home that will create jobs. Our country is falling apart in front of our eyes. That will create an enormous number of jobs, but it will also make the economy more efficient. We want to invest in that future, which will make us all much better off. We're about building a prosperous future. We're not about looking back, as Donald Trump is, to the past.

This is a crucial point. People who've been had by con artists are ashamed, and the world is full of cases, I've written about some of them, you see see it in movies and TV shows. They just can't face the fact that they were tricked. It makes them feel stupid and foolish.

Well, people who got conned by Trump -- it's painful for many of them and they will do anything to avoid it. You don’t want to confront them, you don't want to make them feel stupid.

What do you think will happen with the Mueller investigation? Trump is not acting like an innocent person.

Well, Mueller has assembled an extraordinarily talented team. Here is what Mueller is going to find. Mueller has the Trump tax returns. A competent prosecutor would have them by now. The Trump tax returns are the beginning point. You have to get the books and records -- Donald has a long history of hiding books and records when they're sought by auditors. As for the Russians, it is beyond dispute at this point that the Trump campaign was actively involved in a conspiracy.

He's not exactly what Poroshenko wanted, but most importantly, Trump's not Hillary Clinton, who would have gone up to the edge of war to make Poroshenko give up Crimea. She made that very clear in a campaign. He would be in severe pain if he didn't give up the Crimean peninsula in eastern Ukraine. So he didn't want her, under any circumstances. Mueller is going to report on tax fraud, he's going to report on the Russians and he is going to show that the Trump campaign was knowingly being helped by the Russians. Remember that the Australian, Dutch and British intelligence agencies, and maybe others, went to the FBI, State Department and other contacts and said, "You folks have a problem. "

Where exactly Mueller will go beyond that, I don't know. His mission is the Russians, and the Russians are tied in with the tax returns. But remember this: The job of a prosecutor is not to bring the perfect case, it's not to bring the case that should be brought for political reasons. It's to bring the easiest, most solid case that wins. Mueller will do that. There is nothing that prevents indicting a sitting president, but it is an untested issue. Mueller is going to have to decide whether to indict him or to go to Congress.

If the overwhelming conclusion of the Mueller report is that the Russians put Trump in the White House, then you face a second terrible problem: What do you do about Mike Pence, who is also the beneficiary of Russian interference?

If the Congress impeaches and removes Trump and Pence, it will only be because the Democrats control Congress. So unless something else changes, we get President Nancy Pelosi. You can just imagine the people who will be in the streets screaming coup d’état if she's president. I think the only way to address that is for her, or whoever is speaker, to announce they will be a caretaker president who is not going to do anything extreme.

There is no good ending to the story. America will survive this, we'll get past it, but whenever Trump leaves, there's no good ending. If Trump is removed by impeachment or by the voters, whether in a Republican primary or a general election, I know what he will do. He's already told us what he will do by his actions. Trump will spend the rest of his days fomenting violence and revolution in this country.

He's careful not to directly say "revolution," but he will call the government illegitimate. He might even call it criminal, since he called Democrats who didn't stand up during his State of the Union speech treasonous. If they're going to impeach Trump, I believe they have to have a plan to indict, try, convict and imprison him. But Trump will be a role model for some people, and there may well be violence over it.

As Malcolm Nance and others have warned, Russia's interference in the 2016 election and likely infiltration of Trump's inner circle could be one of the worst intelligence disasters in American history, a failure of Benedict Arnold or Rosenberg proportions.

Let me be very clear and quotable about this. At an absolute minimum, Donald Trump has divided loyalties, and the evidence we already have suggests that Donald Trump is a traitor. In fact, I would say that the evidence we already have, the public materials such as emails for example, strongly indicate that Donald Trump is a traitor. However, I don't even think he understands what he's done.

https://www.salon.com/2018/04/23/pu...ton-the-evidence-suggests-trump-is-a-traitor/

Frightening but decent conjecture.

I'll give you conjecture, but it's not anywhere near decent. Partisan bilge yes, decent no.

No offense @MacNfries , but given all of your predictions on this site over the past 6+ years or so about how the Democrats are going to win this or that election(s), you would understand my looking at your prediction with a raised eyebrow.
.....No offense taken bm ... but, I was only saying IF Trump wins, he'll win just as he did this past time. Are you saying that Trump didn't lie, cheat, and get outside help from Russia? There's no denying that Russia interfered, only that Trump was not personally responsible; he never IS. Think of all the primary lies and accusations Trump made of the other Republican candidates ... then of Hillary. They're all well documented, and the lies and exaggerations made like Mexico paying for the Wall, and the Trump healthcare plan, and the tax cuts for the middleclass, etc etc etc ... on and on, knowing everything he said were LIES. You got to admit the man is a habitual liar, right? Jesh, look at the 7 years he went on and on about Obama's birth certificate ... how did THAT work out for him? And did he "drain the swamp" in Washington? My god, he restocked it with even worse creatures than was already in it. Wait until this Mueller investigation is done ... see how many of his Admin are IN JAIL!
.....And before you and everyone starts bashing Hillary again, just remember she went through 9 Republican run Benghazi committees ... and still they couldn't prove anything.
.....I'll tell you what, IF Trump gets re-elected I will probably never vote in another US presidential election.
.....pic_Yellowball-signLIES.jpg

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, IF Trump gets re-elected I will probably never vote in another US presidential election.
.....View attachment 1836116

Mods don't ban me for this since I'm gonna criticize him a little..

Mac don't be silly. The Trump voters are older voters. The younger generation is very anti Trump platform.. why do you think they're having to recruit campuses? They know they're losing.. they're just kicking and screaming and grasping for straws and they needed Russia to win an election.

So don't stop voting and engaging in how you feel.

Because you never know with their authoritarian tendencies they might just make concentrations for cucks.

Don't underestimate the Nationalist / White Nationalist voter block. There's a troubling amount of them out there, willing to vote for anyone who enforces their delusion of racial superiority.

I'll tell you one thing though, if we're staring down the barrel of a second Trump term, I'm fucking moving. I talked about it with my spouse when he won in the first place, but we decided to ride it out and work towards the betterment of our society. We're both pretty heavily involved in local politics. However, I don't have it in me to suffer from a second term. I'll be on the first flight out.

Don't underestimate the Nationalist / White Nationalist voter block. There's a troubling amount of them out there, willing to vote for anyone who enforces their delusion of racial superiority.
I'll tell you one thing though, if we're staring down the barrel of a second Trump term, I'm fucking moving. I talked about it with my spouse when he won in the first place, but we decided to ride it out and work towards the betterment of our society. We're both pretty heavily involved in local politics. However, I don't have it in me to suffer from a second term. I'll be on the first flight out.
that's scary....and we all know who they support!

Don't give up hope yet @PiperRai, @subhub174014 . Trump won by a squeaky margin and I covered this before. He ran a brillant election campaign I give him that as the slogans/ and rally cries of "Make America Great Again", "Build A Wall Make them pay for it", "Lock Her Up" all resonated to galvanize his base. Hillary's campaign in retrospect was attrocious. I can't remember one thing she said or a slogan for a campaign that tapped into electrifying the electorate. I'll remember "Make America Great Again" for decades to come.

However, Trump's negatives where well suppressed during the campaign season in OCT 2016 (the Access Hollywood Tape, the Stormy Daniels and dozens of other paid off women according to O'Bannon his right hand man revealed did not surface). The Repubs spent 4 years lobbing body blow after body blow against Hillary with Benghazi, the DoS email server leaking of classified INFO, FBI Investigations, and other ******* with her and her husband which very effectively suppressed the appetite of people voting for her. She was a weak, damaged, and bruised candidate whom some also saw as was just entitled to win to be the first women president. She was definitely qualified in my book but as the saying goes "PERCEPTION IS EVERYTHING". And Trump is a master at mass media manipulation you have to give it to him with his reality distortion field he creates. The 3rd party candidates helped to siphon off enough of her votes too such as Ross Perot did with George Bush Sr. when Clinton got elected. *I'll repost the break-down on Trump's narrow margin victory and 3rd party vote siphoning facts here when I can find it.

Trump's negatives and all of his dirt that has arisen to the surface now will hamstring him and be his un-doing. I'm not a prophet and don't have a crystal ball, but so long as a fresh-face - no major baggage, not weak and will punch back at trump (such as Hillary did not do in the last 2 debates effectively IMHO) candidate arises against him I see Chump being EASILY defeated in 2020. I think Trump may have to watch out for opponents and contenders running against him in his own party much-less as well since they will sniff weakness and the possibility at taking him out like some Game of Thrones type situation to get a seat on the throne. Don't count out Mitt Romney as even I would've voted for Mitt over Hillary had that been the match-up. I would choose ol Ohio GOV John Kaisach out of all of them hands-down as he has always been a pragmatic, sensible although REPUB politician but I still like the guy a whole lot. Mark Cuban and Bloomberg may throw their hat in the ring and successfully challenge and knock ol CHump out the box as well easily.

I think enough people are finally coming to their common-sense and saying enough is enough already this guy was an embarrassment and disaster.

From A US 2020 Election Odds betting review Article:
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 5.32.45 AM.png

The year 2020 and the next presidential election may seem miles away, seeing as we're just four months into the combustible, controversial presidency of Donald Trump.

While he's already a historically unpopular leader of the free world, though, he's still the favorite to win the presidency come the next presidential election cycle, according to the latest odds from Bovada.lv, an online gambling site. He's got 9/4 odds—meaning if you placed a $100 bet Monday and Trump won in 2020, you'd win $325—the best of any listed candidate. Vice President Mike Pence also has relatively good odds, at 9/1, seeming to suggest that the oddsmaker believes Trump might not finish his term and that his No. 2 could parlay the opportunity into another term. In fact, Bovada gives 2017 2/1 odds as the exit year for the president.

Outside of Trump, Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has the best odds to win in 2020, at 15/2. Most of the top candidates come from the world of traditional politics, including familiar names such as Michelle Obama (who has said she won't run) at 15/1, 2016 Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton at 20/1 and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan at 25/1.

But some of the fun in these odds is to seek out the true long-shots from outside the world of politics. (Hey, anyone remember the name of the brash reality TV star who had 150/1 odds when books started taking bets for the 2016 election?)

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg—who has embarked on a mission to visit with folks in every U.S. state, which helped fuel rumors of a presidential run—had the best odds of any non-politician, at a 33/1. That's better than the odds for Texas Senator Ted Cruz (40/1), who failed to in his bid to earn the Republican nomination in 2016. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who recently told GQ he was open to a political career, had decent odds, at 66/1, as did Oprah Winfrey, also subject to presidential rumors, at 55/1. Kanye West, who claimed he would run in 2020 and has met with Trump, is a longer shot, at 125/1. His wife, reality TV mogul Kardashian, has 550/1 odds. The longest odds available on Bovada belong to former debate sensation Ken Bone (otherwise known as the mustachioed dude in the red sweater), at 1,000/1.
Here's the full list from Bovada.
Donald Trump- 9/4
Keep up with this story and more by subscribing now
Elizabeth Warren- 15/2
Mike Pence- 9/1
Michelle Obama- 15/1
Hillary Clinton- 20/1
Bernie Sanders- 20/1
Cory Booker- 20/1
Paul Ryan- 25/1
Joe Biden- 25/1
Julian Castro- 33/1
Marco Rubio- 33/1
Tim Kaine- 33/1
Amy Klobuchar- 33/1
Kamala Harris- 33/1
Michael Bloomberg- 33/1
Andrew Cuomo- 33/1
Mark Zuckerberg- 33/1
Kirsten Gillibrand- 40/1
Ted Cruz- 40/1
Nikki Haley- 40/1
Sherrod Brown- 40/1
Trey Gowdy- 50/1
Oprah Winfrey- 55/1
John Kasich- 60/1
Mitt Romney- 60/1
Mark Cuban- 60/1
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson- 66/1
Jeb Bush- 80/1
Martin O'Malley- 80/1
Rand Paul- 80/1
John Hickenlooper- 80/1
Tammy Duckworth- 100/1
Tom Brady- 125/1
Chris Murphy- 125/1
Leonardo DiCaprio- 125/1
Chelsea Clinton- 125/1
George Clooney- 125/1
Kanye West- 125/1
Kevin Spacey- 200/1
Jill Stein- 300/1
Vince McMahon- 500/1
Gary Johnson- 500/1
Kim Kardashian- 550/1
Ken Bone- 1000/1

ref: http://www.newsweek.com/2020-electi...arren-rock-kanye-zuckerberg-oprah-bush-609632

Last edited:
Back