My impression of "What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine"

STIFFBBC

Male
From
Canada
For an underreported movie that I found out about the last minute, "What We Left Behind: Looking Back at Star Trek: Deep Space Nine " complimented Star Trek: Deep Space 9 greatly as it provided additional input from the directors and actors and fans during a convention in Las Vegas that I did not hear about. The movie was approximately 2 hours 30 minutes in length with additional notes about the making of the series and the movie after the credits. And as a Black male I was astonished that, like my high school experience, the crowd was overwhelmingly a Caucasian audience ( watching a series that should be designed for a Black audience featuring a Black Commander destined to become a Captain, who was widowed, raising his Black *******, and a religious prophet ) at my location in Toronto at the Queensway theatres where the cashier who sold me the ticket stated that this special event was 96% sold!!!?? A very good accomplishment for such a poorly advertised movie, I barely heard about the day before the event, shown only yesterday in a limited number of theatres, during a time of the week people usually have difficulty seeing movies. I hope that that will reverberate back to the directors stating the fan base is hungry enough for a sequel for this series?

In the film I was surprised to see that the actor that portrayed Rom (Max Grodénchik) can sing quite well where he opened the movie with his singing much like Vic Fontaine (James Darren). I was impressed to see all the women who said that they were influenced by the characters of Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrell) and Kira Nerys (Nana Visitor). And there was at least one Black guy that said Bejamin Sisko (Avery Brooks) was his inspiration to join the US Navy.

The actors and directors admitted that the series was considered as a forgotten bastard c.hild as during any talk of Star Trek people speak of Captain Kirk from the original series, Captain Picard from Next Generation, and then forget DS9 where they speak of Captain Janeway from Voyager. Not to undermine any of those fine programs I great agree with what Quark (Armin Shimerman) said that DS9 was just as good if not better. Plus the brave stance they had creating a series with Avery Brooks who all involved agreed there could be no other better to portray Benjamin Sisko who not only was initially a Starfleet Commander and then a Starfleet Captain, but also a religious icon to Bajor. Moreover the series when aired on television was aired in certain markets and then it was removed and then aired at awkward time schedules 3 AM or 4 AM where it was hard to keep track of the plot and storyline. Only in recent years with the benefit of Crave TV and Netflix one can binge watch all the episodes where the viewers will not miss any episodes as well.

They created a delightful plausible season where Sisko came back after years had advanced. They station remained but there were other plot lines developed after Captain Nog's death which greatly irritated (Aron Eisenberg). And there were lots of additional things said by the actors where Kira Nerys (Nana Visitor) included her true pregnancy in the series where they wrote in the part where she had the O'Brian's baby, and she had a true romance with Dr Julian Bashir (Alexander Siddig), and she spurned true romantic advances from the actor who portrayed Gul Dukat (Marc Alaimo). Avery Brooks was so close with Cirroc Lofton (who portrayed Jake Sisko) that in real life he was virtually adopted in his real family. It crushed me when they killed off Jadzia Dax (Terry Farrell) and she did not want to leave the show despite the growth in her character as well as with the confidence of the actress that portrayed her. And mysterious Elim Garak (Andrew J. Robinson) said that his character was obviously a homosexual where he desired Dr Julian Bashir (Alexander Siddig) more than just a friend. The director stated that several perspectives had to be removed from this movie because if everything was included from all actors this movie would be at least 8 hours long.

I could go on but don't despair as you can sign up for the DVD when it is available here:

And if you desire to learn more about Star Trek: Deep Space 9 here:

Courtesy of the wayback machine that literally stores everything posted on the Internet there were unaired written stories at the end of the series of Star Trek: Deep Space 9 at the end of the war with the Founders here as that website sadly no longer exists:

For any others who wish to reflect upon Deep Space 9 feel free to air your opinions on this thread.

Last edited:
I'll do that. It seems like everything ends up on the internet eventually. I hope it hits Netflix.
In time it probably will, but another stunner was Elim Garak (Andrew J. Robinson) said that his character was obviously a homosexual where he desired Dr Julian Bashir (Alexander Siddig)? He never was flamboyantly homosexual in the series? But as a secretive ex Obsidian order member he could plausibly have gay affairs in every season and we would never know anything about it?

Last edited:
I can see that now. It always seemed to me he was one to use sex as a tool when needed. I didn't get the impression that he cared if the person he had sex with was male or female.

I can see that now. It always seemed to me he was one to use sex as a tool when needed. I didn't get the impression that he cared if the person he had sex with was male or female.
Actually I can't readily recall anytime Garak had any romantic feelings for anyone. Even when he was dating Gul Dukat's ******* he was pursued by her and he initially thought she was trying to initially ******* him off as a gift to her *******? And when he had lunches with Bashir there was nothing sexual about it to me in retrospect as well?

To me, it felt like he was not romantic. It seemed that he would leave his options open by "flirting" with people that he might want to use. He would always have a backup plan or a way out. The complex nature of all of the characters is one of the things about the show that I loved the most.

To me, it felt like he was not romantic. It seemed that he would leave his options open by "flirting" with people that he might want to use. He would always have a backup plan or a way out. The complex nature of all of the characters is one of the things about the show that I loved the most.
That is the nature of a spy I would imagine.

Yes, Robinson played it so well. He made Garak into what I picture a spy to this day. James Bond had nothing on him.
Being banished from Cardassia I always wondered if he might have switched sides and joined the Federation and joined Section 31 where he was to train and enlist Bashir into it as well being a genetically enhanced human?

Hopefully the high volume of crowds at the theatre I went is reflective of all other theatres that aired the movie providing fuel to the directors to make a long awaited sequel of DS9?

That makes a lot of sense. His hatred for Dukat was clear. It could drive him to join anyone opposed to Dukat or the Cardassian government.

Yes, Robinson played it so well. He made Garak into what I picture a spy to this day. James Bond had nothing on him.
In fact if you recall the episode, "Our man Bashir" ( https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Our_Man_Bashir_(episode) ) Garak was training Bashir how to be a spy with the quote he told Sisko portraying Noah, "if you (Bashir) was a real spy, and not an overgrown c.hild play-acting as one, he'd understand that there are times when it's better to save oneself than risk one's life against impossible odds".

Last edited:
In time it probably will, but another stunner was Elim Garak (Andrew J. Robinson) said that his character was obviously a homosexual where he desired Dr Julian Bashir (Alexander Siddig)? He never was flamboyantly homosexual in the series? But as a secretive ex Obsidian order member he could plausibly have gay affairs in every season and we would never know anything about it?

Garak could have simply been bisexual. He did have feelings for a character later on in the series and it was very bittersweet.
"In the Pale Moonlight", "Duet", and "The Visitor" are some of those best episodes ( In my opinion of course ).

Last edited:
This is not so much about DS9, but Star Trek in general. Anyone wonder why the new emblem of the US Space ******* in real life resembles that of Starfleet emblem from Star Trek? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Could it be a form of soft disclosure just like the episode from Next Generation whereby Picard had to rescue Ryker from an alien hospital on a world where they had the belief there was no form of life outside that world in Season 4, Episode 15, "First Contact" as seen here too:

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Julian Bashir (Alexander Siddig) is actually African and a member of the former Sudan Royal Family. He was married to Nana Visitor and the whole her being pregnant and having the O'Brian's was a storyline created to hide her real pregnancy with Siddig.

Back