Libertarians

Torpedo

Male
Gold Member
It will be interesting to see where the Libertarians go. They have been fielding candidates for over 40 years but have been little more a place to register a protest vote. However Neither Trump or Clinton are very well liked and neither party has a realistic plan to fix the economy. The Libertarians are fielding a pair of candidates that have more government experience than either of the current offerings of the GOP or the Dems. President Obama's "success" is largely smoke and mirrors so a third party or an independent has a realistic chance. It would prove interesting if a third party candidate did get elected to the White House. If that occurred they undoubtedly would bring some of their followers to Congress. It would be possible that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans would control either house. It would certainly make things interesting

It will be interesting to see where the Libertarians go. They have been fielding candidates for over 40 years but have been little more a place to register a protest vote. However Neither Trump or Clinton are very well liked and neither party has a realistic plan to fix the economy. The Libertarians are fielding a pair of candidates that have more government experience than either of the current offerings of the GOP or the Dems. President Obama's "success" is largely smoke and mirrors so a third party or an independent has a realistic chance. It would prove interesting if a third party candidate did get elected to the White House. If that occurred they undoubtedly would bring some of their followers to Congress. It would be possible that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans would control either house. It would certainly make things interesting

Libertarians seem to have more political flexibility than the republicans and the democrats. They seem less obligated to follow political party dogmas or fixed party ideology. A part of this is simply they historically haven't been around as much. I like their rhetoric more than either side though

Libertarians seem to have more political flexibility than the republicans and the democrats. They seem less obligated to follow political party dogmas or fixed party ideology. A part of this is simply they historically haven't been around as much. I like their rhetoric more than either side though
They have what I feel is the best approach to fixing the economy.

I'm liking some of what I'm hearing from Gary Johnson ... certainly he's a cool, fresh breeze to what we're getting between the 2 other candidates.

I think because of the dislike for what's running.... they will do better this year than in the past.... might even be their year?????

As self describe libertarian we just need a loud enough voice to put us on the radar, people no more bout the tea party due to their negative portrayal at the media

we just need a loud enough voice to put us on the radar
A good amount of donors and money, and a good showing in the debates would probably help. I'm just now looking up Gary Johnson's background & track record. If I hear "cut taxes and shrink government" cross his lips, I'll be instantly turned off ... I hope that isn't what he's about.

A good amount of donors and money, and a good showing in the debates would probably help. I'm just now looking up Gary Johnson's background & track record. If I hear "cut taxes and shrink government" cross his lips, I'll be instantly turned off ... I hope that isn't what he's about.
No, he's much more progressive unlike sell out rand wannabe constitunalist

If I hear "cut taxes and shrink government" cross his lips, I'll be instantly turned off ... I hope that isn't what he's about.
well he was a former Republican gov.... but from what I heard and saw on an interview he seems to be a cross between the 2 parties.... seems like they picked out what they liked from both and that's their platform

......There is NO END to cutting taxes for Republicans until they have eliminated or privatized entitlement programs ... none whatsoever. They could cut income taxes to a 10% flat tax and they'd be back the next session discussing cutting taxes again. The whole point of cutting taxes (other than making their wealthy constituents and themselves wealthier) is to starve the entitlement programs by creating more and more debt until they HAVE to be eliminated. So, I'm not buying into any more loss of government revenue by tax cuts for the wealthy. The country was prospering quite nicely before the Reaganites. I would never suggest we go back to 1950's or 60's tax brackets, but what Republicans are doing is purposely starving the government of revenue at the expense of the needy.
.gif_Yellowball-KissMyAss.gif ..... to more TAX CUTS!

......There is NO END to cutting taxes for Republicans until they have eliminated or privatized entitlement programs ... none whatsoever. They could cut income taxes to a 10% flat tax and they'd be back the next session discussing cutting taxes again. The whole point of cutting taxes (other than making their wealthy constituents and themselves wealthier) is to starve the entitlement programs by creating more and more debt until they HAVE to be eliminated. So, I'm not buying into any more loss of government revenue by tax cuts for the wealthy. The country was prospering quite nicely before the Reaganites. I would never suggest we go back to 1950's or 60's tax brackets, but what Republicans are doing is purposely starving the government of revenue at the expense of the needy.
.View attachment 877689 ..... to more TAX CUTS!

The country was prospering before the Reaganites....Seriously???? Before Reagan we had the Jimmy Carter presidency. He had the economy so screwed up the evening news was reporting the "misery index" on a regular basis. The misery index is a combination of the inflation rate and the unemployment rate.

When running for president, Carter bashed then president Ford saying "no man responsible for giving the country a Misery Index as high as that seen during Ford's presidency had a right to even ask to be president" Then under Carter's disastrous presidency, the misery index hit the highest it ever has been, peaking at 22% in 1980...largely why Reagan beat Carter in a landslide in the 1980 election.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-theory/09/misery-index.asp

Reagan took over a misery index in the 20s and left office with it in single digits.

Oh and before you do your typical reflex, blame republicans for Carter's screwing up the economy, note that Carter and the democrats had the trifecta during his entire four years of presidency by a wide margin. In fact he had a filibuster proof majority in the Senate and 66% democrat control of the House his first two years.

Then under Carter's disastrous presidency, the misery index hit the highest it ever has been, peaking at 22% in 1980...largely why Reagan beat Carter in a landslide in the 1980 election.
that was more to the Iran deal than anything else.... Carter screwed that deal up and Iran said they would release the prisoners if Reagan was elected

You obviously can't read, can you Dumb Nuts ... did I not say '50's & 60's? You're starving for confrontation, aren't you?
Now .... View attachment 877830 ... oh, and "thank you".
Trouble is I can read. Gee thanks for insulting me though.

You said "The country was prospering quite nicely before the Reaganites." What you said about the 50s and 60s was that you wouldn't go back to those rates.

Well "before the Reaganites" was Carter and his horrible presidency. So no the country wasn't "prospering quite nicely" when Reagan took over.

Here's the top marginal tax rates since 1913.

Highest-Marginal-Tax-Rates-1913-2013.jpg

Note there was a huge cut in the 60s under Kennedy & Johnson (Kennedy proposed it and Johnson signed it into law after Kennedy's assassination) You love to piss and moan about Reagan and his tax cuts. Why don't you spew that same vitriol at Kennedy?

that was more to the Iran deal than anything else.... Carter screwed that deal up and Iran said they would release the prisoners if Reagan was elected
Carter's mishandling of the Iran hostage crisis was just one of the nails in his coffin. The fact him and his Democrat trifecta took the US economy from a misery index of 13% to 22% in under 4 years was a key factor.

Reagan took over took the misery index back down to single digits. Hell we hardly heard the term misery index until the Obama years brought it back to the forefront.

Reagan took over a misery index in the 20s and left office with it in single digits.
I remember driving around under Reagan and everywhere you looked there was huge billboards with an ungodly large number just clicking away every second..... it was the national debt!.... just like a republican... write checks with no money in the bank!.... why worry sooner or later the Dems will come along and balance the check book

It seems that every political party has it's run. The Libertarians have been around for more than 40 years and maybe their time has come. They are the only ones that have a platform that has any hope of salvaging the economy

.View attachment 877689 ..... to more TAX CUTS!
Government just isn't very adept at do things. Government programs tend to be filled with fraud and nobody seems to care what anything costs

Back