Leading up to World War 2

Torpedo

Male
Gold Member
I have felt that one of the determining factors for WW2 was Roosevelt's, other western powers and the League of Nations weak stance when Japan started it expansion. The same hold true for Hitler's early expansion. Both Germany and Japan could have been stopped if there had been a unified Allie response

The atomic bomb was inevitable. Germany was working on it but we got there first.

I think WW2 was inevitable. It might have occurred at a different time with different players but it was bound to happen. Stalin was every bit as ruthless as Hitler. Once he understood the Bomb was possible he would have stopped at nothing to get it. I have a lot more I could add but I rather hear from some others. Thoughts?

Are you bringing this topic up to parallel it with today's military/political climate, or are you just wishing to reminisce about World War II ? Possibly to point out your opinion of Obama's weak stance with Iran, maybe by using similar situations during WW2? I'm not sure your point.

I just read a neat article regarding the next Big Wars and that they will be fought over water. Some countries in Europe & Middle East are mining water from great aquifers to turn deserts into farms for food, etc ... causing wells and aquifers in other countries to dry up, causing earthquakes. This is happening in West Africa, Israel-Palestine, Iraq-Turkey, Iran-Afghanistan, India-Pakistan, and a host of other bordering countries.
For example, even though Israel & Palestine share the same fresh water source, Israelis consume 3X the water consumption, per person, as Palestinians.

Last edited:
Then why do you jump down his throat with both feet instead of asking?
I wasn't jumping down Torp's throat, and I feel fairly sure Torp doesn't see it that way either. I just wasn't sure if this was a serious WW2 discussion OR just another Obama bashing.

Why don't you just give it up, falcond, and quit harassing my ass. The ignore button is pretty simple to use ... try it.

I wasn't jumping down Torp's throat, and I feel fairly sure Torp doesn't see it that way either. I just wasn't sure if this was a serious WW2 discussion OR just another Obama bashing.

Why don't you just give it up, falcond, and quit harassing my ass. The ignore button is pretty simple to use ... try it.

I would rather let Torp speak for himself than to arrogantly presume, but that's just the kind of guy you are. Harassing you? No, my dear Mac. Now you are the naive one. Exposing you for the liar and narcissistic fool you are. And I notice you have not used the ignore button either. So stop the BS.

Are you bringing this topic up to parallel it with today's military/political climate, or are you just wishing to reminisce about World War II ? Possibly to point out your opinion of Obama's weak stance with Iran, maybe by using similar situations during WW2? I'm not sure your point.

I just read a neat article regarding the next Big Wars and that they will be fought over water. Some countries in Europe & Middle East are mining water from great aquifers to turn deserts into farms for food, etc ... causing wells and aquifers in other countries to dry up, causing earthquakes. This is happening in West Africa, Israel-Palestine, Iraq-Turkey, Iran-Afghanistan, India-Pakistan, and a host of other bordering countries.
For example, even though Israel & Palestine share the same fresh water source, Israelis consume 3X the water consumption, per person, as Palestinians.
No Mac There really isn't much in common with current events other than both Roosevelt and Obama both were very weak in the area of foreign policy.

There are a lots of "what ifs" with World War 2. What if Roosevelt (and Chamberlain) had strong stances on foreign policy? What would have been the end result if Hitler had been prevented from annexing the Sudetenland and the Japanese were stopped from invading the coastal cities of China. I think that we may well have been fighting the USSR in the late 1940's or early 1950. The big difference would be Stalin would have likely had the atomic bomb. Without WWII there would have been no Manhattan project and we would have never developed the bomb. Germany was working on it but we beat them to it. Once Stalin realized the bomb was doable he would have stopped at nothing to achieve it's creation.

Another "What if" comes into play. Suppose we hadn't developed the bomb. The conventional land invasion of Japan would have been horrific. Plus the plan called for the USSR to attack from the north. As they did in Europe I am sure that in Japan they would have kept what they occupied. Japan would have lost all the Northern islands plus very likely a part of the main island. USSR would have gone into the Cold War with some nice warm water Pacific ports, a serious game changer.

Understanding history and it's lessons are important because it can prevent the same mistakes from re-occurring. Repeating mistakes are some politicians are quite adept at.

As to you not understanding my point I am rather used to that. The thread was intended for people that have an interest and an understanding of history.

As a history fanatic, yes my geek is showing, the dealing in what if is a fruitless venture.

Hitler was on the rise and the American people wanted a return to normal of being an isolationist country with staying out of European politics.

As for Japan, we cut off our supply of oil, steel, and other materials that was helping fuel japan's imperialist views. Only after that did Japan see the US as a threat and twisted it into an act of subversive activity.

WW2 was going to happen but the American people did not want to be involved until we were attacked.

I have felt that one of the determining factors for WW2 was Roosevelt's, other western powers and the League of Nations weak stance when Japan started it expansion. The same hold true for Hitler's early expansion. Both Germany and Japan could have been stopped if there had been a unified Allie response

The atomic bomb was inevitable. Germany was working on it but we got there first.

I think WW2 was inevitable. It might have occurred at a different time with different players but it was bound to happen. Stalin was every bit as ruthless as Hitler. Once he understood the Bomb was possible he would have stopped at nothing to get it. I have a lot more I could add but I rather hear from some others. Thoughts?
Another reason for Hitler's rise to power was how badly England and France punished Germany after WW1

Another reason for Hitler's rise to power was how badly England and France punished Germany after WW1
Quite true. The Great Depression put the whole world into a tailspin. Things never really recovered until the war. Hitler promised to make Germany great again. He came terrifyingly close to succeeding

As a history fanatic, yes my geek is showing, the dealing in what if is a fruitless venture.

Hitler was on the rise and the American people wanted a return to normal of being an isolationist country with staying out of European politics.

As for Japan, we cut off our supply of oil, steel, and other materials that was helping fuel japan's imperialist views. Only after that did Japan see the US as a threat and twisted it into an act of subversive activity.

WW2 was going to happen but the American people did not want to be involved until we were attacked.
I think for the most part most Americans had little or no idea what was going on abroad. Roosevelt didn't have much in the way of a foreign policy until Pearl Harbor was attacked. At the time of the Pearl Harbor attack unemployment was around 16%. We had enough problems here to occupy the American people. If Japan hadn't attack Pearl Harbor and instead concentrated their efforts in the conquest of Asia and Australia we likely wouldn't have gotten into the war until it was too late.

I would rather let Torp speak for himself than to arrogantly presume, but that's just the kind of guy you are. Harassing you? No, my dear Mac. Now you are the naive one. Exposing you for the liar and narcissistic fool you are. And I notice you have not used the ignore button either. So stop the BS.
The ignore button seems to have an interesting trait. Sometime ago Mac decided to ignore me. I did notice that all of a sudden he wasn't replying to any of my posts. I was reading and replying to his posts but because he had me on his ignore list he wasn't seeing mine. Until I realized what was happening I thought I was actually getting through to him:bounce::exciting:They should have a black bouncy emoticon!

.... Sometime ago Mac decided to ignore me. I did notice that all of a sudden he wasn't replying to any of my posts. I was reading and replying to his posts but because he had me on his ignore list he wasn't seeing mine. Until I realized what was happening I thought I was actually getting through to him :bounce::exciting: They should have a black bouncy emoticon!
A bit naïve of my resolve, aren't ya, old man?

You guys are so frik'n funny. If you can't get a rise out of me, you talk about me in 3rd person. You "righties" really are desperate to ridicule; no accomplishments in your own party, so you divert everyone's attention by criticizing others.

I promise, we are going to have some fun when the general election starts.

Since you're too computer illiterate to go get a black emoticon, here ya go (see below) ... Mac

You DO know how to right click and save an emoticon, right? You're not that computer illiterate, right?

And falcond, did you see the latest on your Teddy boy? Ted Cruz had an interesting situation yesterday in one of his "town meetings". He was taking questions from the audience and a gentleman stands up and asks Cruz since he promises to rescind every word of "Obamacare" ... what did he plan to replace it with if he became President. Cruz heehawed around the question as he normally does, avoiding answering the question, and starts to go to another person, but that person wouldn't sit down. He told Cruz that he didn't answer his question, and restated it. Again, Cruz starts to heehaw around the question, and goes to another question. The guy never got his question answered ... not even close.

pic_word-Torpedo.jpg Let's see how well you are contributing to b&w, "last word" ... ohhhh wow, I'm really impressed. You've been here since March, 16, 2012 and have, hummm ... Likes= 2,939....Followers= 53
I do believe you and your "heel hound" falcond need to wander out into the general forum a bit more.

Attachments

• gif_YellowBall-black.gif
    gif_YellowBall-black.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
A bit naïve of my resolve, aren't ya, old man?

You guys are so frik'n funny. If you can't get a rise out of me, you talk about me in 3rd person. You "righties" really are desperate to ridicule; no accomplishments in your own party, so you divert everyone's attention by criticizing others.

I promise, we are going to have some fun when the general election starts.

Since you're too ignorant to go get one, here ya go ... Mac
View attachment 766509 .......You DO know how to right click and save an emoticon, right? You're not that computer illiterate, right?

Ted Cruz had an interesting situation yesterday in one of his "town meetings". He was taking questions from the audience and a gentleman stands up and asks Cruz since he promises to rescind every word of "Obamacare" ... what did he plan to replace it with if he became President. Cruz heehawed around the question as he normally does, avoiding answering the question, and starts to go to another person, but that person wouldn't sit down. He told Cruz that he didn't answer his question, and restated it. Again, Cruz starts to heehaw around the question, and goes to another question. The guy never got his question answered ... not even close.

Exactly how did this event lead up to WW2? ..... lol

I love you guys. .. like an old married couple of 75 years... don't change guys..

Exactly how did this event lead up to WW2? ..... lol
I love you guys. .. like an old married couple of 75 years... don't change guys..
Sorry, marinewife, not sure what you mean here. My initial comment was whether this thread was to be another Obama bashing thread or serious discussion of WW2 events ... nothing more. I believe it was the "heel hound" falcond who made an issue of my question, but then again, he makes an issue of anything I post, thinking I'm a ******* liberal lover of the President. He's not been taking his prescription meds as he should and his Tea Party schizophrenia runs away with him. But don't worry about him, his confidence level goes up when his owner shows up. gif_YellowBall-laughing6.gif

Last edited:
I did read that Mac. Just a bit funny.

You two are like an old married couple though..

I did not think it was an intentional attempt to affront Obama, but I have been known to be wrong in the past, but do not tell husband that. He thinks I'm always right.

I did read that Mac. Just a bit funny.

You two are like an old married couple though.
Since you haven't been here all that long, you'd have to go back a ways, particularly with Torp and me. There's one thread where Torp has challenged me to a boxing match, has boosted of his "superior income" to mine, even though he doesn't know what that income is, and of course, Torp loves talking about ... ahhhh well, he likes talking about Torp. He's a superior lover of "white women" .... loves to talk about his stable of white women he seeds on a regular basis. And of course then there are our differences in politics ... he's convinced Trickle Down is good for everyone, and bums like me won't get off our lazy asses and simply "try". And then, there is my lack of Military background ... seems if a man (particularly liberals) haven't served in the military, he's inferior to the ones who have. Doesn't matter that when I graduated high school and went off to college that there were no wars going on, just the first G. Bush. But it wouldn't matter; the fact I didn't volunteer to SERVE My Country is enough for them.

As far as falcond is concerned, he's just a frustrated, old man on various medications, which we can tell he's not taking when he gets cranky and paranoid. If you get a chance, ask him to tell you about Jade Helm ... oh boy. gif_Yellowball-Crazy2.gif

Other than THAT, We're All GOOD! GIF_GrouchoMarx.gif

Last edited:
Don't worry Mac, less then 1% of the American population has served or is serving.

That is a choice that each individual makes. I do not hold it against anyone who did not join the military. Heck, I didn't.

Everyone has difrences and points of view. I respect all points of views and opinions, but I may not necessarily agree with them but I respect them

Life is hard enough with out always trying to out due everyone else.

Don't worry Mac, less then 1% of the American population has served or is serving.
That is a choice that each individual makes. I do not hold it against anyone who did not join the military. Heck, I didn't.
Thing is, on the military thing, on my *******'s side of the family, we've had family members in every US war from the Civil War through Vietnam. We had 3 family members who served in the Confederacy ... none returned; one died at Gettysburg, and his company (Hibriten, Company-I. 26th NC Infantry) advanced the colors further than any company during Pickett's Charge, AND had a 100% casualty rate.
One family member served in WWI, and two during WWII; my dad was a chaplain in Vietnam.

Last edited:
Back