"Following"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I've been following people I like on here and been followed by quite a few, but what does that really mean. I have yet to figure out what effect it has on either party. Someone explain?

Following basically allows you to monitor someone's public activity on the site in your news feed. If someone you're following likes a photo, comments on someone's profile, posts new media, etc... it'll appear in your news feed.

Vice versa if someone is following you.

Ok how about when you "ignore" the individual?

Great question. Ignoring seems to block your view of that person, but it appears to have nothing to do with their view of you. A person we have ignored posts comments and likes on all of our content, so I guess we can't see them but they can definitely see us. Shouldn't be like this IMO.

Great question. Ignoring seems to block your view of that person, but it appears to have nothing to do with their view of you. A person we have ignored posts comments and likes on all of our content, so I guess we can't see them but they can definitely see us. Shouldn't be like this IMO.

Thank you for your input @IROCCouple! Any admins who could give us an answer?

@IROCCouple is correct. Ignoring someone stops you from seeing their content, but they can still see yours.

Isn’t there some way to circumvent this? What if you found a relative here and you wanted to keep your membership unknown, you’d have to block everyone to stop one person from seeing you. In our eyes, we don’t expect people who can’t read our profile would want to get to know us; by blocking their profile (type) we’ve subliminally excluded them...

Isn’t there some way to circumvent this? What if you found a relative here and you wanted to keep your membership unknown, you’d have to block everyone to stop one person from seeing you. In our eyes, we don’t expect people who can’t read our profile would want to get to know us; by blocking their profile (type) we’ve subliminally excluded them...
You can change your privacy settings to allow everyone, only members, or only those you follow to see your profile.

I know I’m beating a dead horse, but BtoW would be a better site if you could block selectively vs. collectively. Admins, please discuss at the next webinar (y’all have meetings right ☺️) Thanks.
It’s been discussed, but this is a public website available to anyone on the internet. If you post, you should expect people will see it, just as if you go out to the grocery store, you may run into someone you know.

If privacy is of that much concern, we have measures in place for that very thing. You can choose who you allow to see your profile by selecting only the members you follow in your privacy settings. If you could selectively block certain members, then the site would have to render a different view of a page or thread for every single user ommiting certain posts, but not others.

I hope that makes sense ;)

Last edited:
. Admins, please discuss at the next webinar (y’all have meetings right ☺️) Thanks.

Yep. We have our own elite secluded camping resort buried deep in the woods, sort of like Bohemian Grove. Our annual meeting falls on the 3rd weekend of Lent. Each year @ticklemypleasure orchestrates a live rendition of Cool Runnings: The Musical as we try to summon the spirit of John Candy.

Being seen on here by someone we know is a primary concern of ours. Have you ever seen The Sting? It's a fantastic movie. There's a famous scene where Paul Newman is hustling Robert Shaw in a card game. Shaw is a known cheater, but Newman cheats to beat him. Both men knew that the other cheated. Neither could argue their case in public because neither man had a valid point. If someone you know is here, they're here. What can they really say? "We're into BBC too, shame on you, but not on us!" :p

In terms of the one-way functionality of the ignore feature is concerned, there are arguments on both sides of the coin. Admittedly the directionality of the ignore feature isn't a high priority at the moment given some of the antics that utilize staff resources on a regular basis, but, it's something that can be discussed. Not speaking for other staffers, but, a bi-directional ignore wouldn't be an awful thing.

Yep. We have our own elite secluded camping resort buried deep in the woods, sort of like Bohemian Grove. Our annual meeting falls on the 3rd weekend of Lent. Each year @ticklemypleasure orchestrates a live rendition of Cool Runnings: The Musical as we try to summon the spirit of John Candy.

I was envisioning something similar, and then you took a hard left with John Candy :bounce:

Following basically allows you to monitor someone's public activity on the site in your news feed. If someone you're following likes a photo, comments on someone's profile, posts new media, etc... it'll appear in your news feed.

Vice versa if someone is following you.
Thanks for the very appreciated hint @poundcake26.

One more question in this regard: (how) does the "Allow users to… Receive your news feed" option in the account`s privacy settings affect that feature? T.Y. in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back