Depression? (needing positivity)

Does anyone else here suffer from depression issues?

I'm on the autism spectrum (currently diagnosed as Pervasive Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Diagnosed) and I suffer from regular depression seemingly in a cycle. It will go away and come back.. Currently despite having just gotten a new 5 month old pit mix puppy 5 days ago, after our 14 year old pit died on January 4th.. I'm really low. On one hand she's really smart (knows to sit and wait for us to clean her paws after she goes out even) but she still is young and doesn't always listen to me.

At first her being here seemed like it fixed the funk in the house that came from not having a dog for the first time in my life... but now I'm just as depressed if not more so than before we got her. Granted at the same time I'm not feeling the best physically because my stomach is acting up again despite constantly feeling bloated.. and I also have Chiari 1 Malformation (brain/skull birth defect, my brain hangs out of my skull 6mm) and it seems like my head has been really twitchy for a couple days now..

I know the biggest source of my depression is just my constant loneliness. I'm 33 and I've never even been out on a date.. Thanks to my ASD, I've never learned how to notice if a woman is interested in me. I rarely (only happened twice.. in person) find women I can't stop thinking about, and can't do casual stuff because again; no clue how and too easily attached when someone does seem to like me. I really know nothing about dating or anyone being interested in me, I don't understand it at all..

It's why I've opened myself up to the idea of dating any race woman.. I can't afford to be picky, if a woman wants to give me a shot, I need to take the chance, so long as she's not abusive or as heavy as me or something.

I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk to and maybe to commiserate with someone else that has had to deal with it.

Last edited:
.... jratt, depression of any kind is a serious issue as so many people have various forms & stages of depression, and so many go undiagnosed and/or misunderstood through life. Your grieving for your pet is, however, a very typical mourning process of "letting go". It might help you feel better if you eulogize your deceased pet in some way. I went through a similar depression "low" with a male cat I had for almost 20 years. For all practical purposes, he'd become one of our ******* to us. I had good photos over the years, so we had an oil painting done of him, with a brass name plate, and hung it on the wall. I also became a member of RainbowBridge, which is a website for grieving pet owners. Its very unique, with a forum for grieving pet owners, etc; definitely worth checking out. He was a registered pedigree which got compliments everywhere we took him. But, we adopted a new cat from the "******* rescue" and we couldn't be happier with him.
.... I hope your new "friend" will be able to pull you from your current "low". Just remember, your new friend has his own personality and uniqueness about him. Over time he'll win your heart and be your new #1. It'll take a while, but your 'deep' grieving will eventually end and you'll be able to function a bit more normally with the support of your new friend. I really wish you the best of luck and hope you'll check out the RainbowBridge website. Its worth it. Sounds like you had an awesome relationship. Pets are awesome because they love you and accept you regardless.
.... A really nice sentence I heard in a eulogy once went like this ... "Don't Grieve because my life is over, Smile because it happened with You".

Last edited:
it's not just grieving about losing our last dog, it's years and years of loneliness adding up and boiling over on top of being physically sick. Add to that a complete lack of control and no clue how to change things and you end up with serious depression.. Oddly youtube happened to suggest a video about loneliness last night that helped a little bit.

So a bit of an update, on Feb 14th we got a new puppy :D Her name is Roxy and while they told us she was a 5 month old Pit/Boxer mix we believe she was MAYBE 4 months at the time, since we got her she's lost some teeth and not all of hers have grown in yet. Also she's no more Boxer than I am black. She's part Dutch Shepherd I figured out.. Which makes her kind of needy, VERY intelligent and HIGHLY destructive. But she's a good puppy. Unfortunately whether it's the DS in her or her previous owner yelling at her for talking, she's completely quiet most times and doesn't do any of the typical pitbull talking. But as I said she's a good puppy. She's already taller than our pure pit was and she's almost as long as my torso! She's also stupidly fast and jumps like a border collie. She also tries to open the door/turn the door knob when someone leaves the house -.- like I said she's smart and needy. We figure she just is maybe 7 months now.. another 5 to grow at least.. she's going to be pretty big.
With her around (and also me no longer taking my anxiety med) I've been in a lot better frame of mind. My anxiety med was a big problem, it was causing me to stress like crazy and sit around seething over ******* to the point that I could feel heat coming off my body.. It definitely stopped working along the way. I've definitely felt lighter and like I'm able to let things go far more since I stopped taking it. Still no luck on the job or gf front but.. one thing at a time I guess. I'm also in the process of buying a car after having sold my 95 Bronco so.. hopefully this time around I'm going to get something in the 25+ mpg club that's also fun to drive.. I might even buy an Audi so... women might like that.. Though my other choice is a Mini S Clubman, and women think those are cute right? Amazingly they have a TON of headroom and at 6'10 and all torso, that's desperately needed.

(Hubby) I used to suffer from major depression and battled thru 2 suicide attempts cause of the depression. That was almost 9 years ago since the last attempt. When I met my wife I was still in a dark place. She stuck by my side thru it all and couldn't be more happy. I call her my salvation

(Hubby) I used to suffer from major depression and battled thru 2 suicide attempts cause of the depression. That was almost 9 years ago since the last attempt. When I met my wife I was still in a dark place. She stuck by my side thru it all and couldn't be more happy. I call her my salvation
Yeah I've said for a while that a woman could completely change my life if I could somehow find her. I really need a companion and someone to be my grounding ******* as well as hopefully pushing me to finish losing weight and make something of myself, even if it's from her garage. Women are such amazing creatures, capable of so much and capable of getting us guys to do things.. We really aren't meant to be alone.

I don’t know how it feels to be depressed, but I knew people who did, they suffered from feelings of suicide, felt useless, and were addicted to their medication. I tried to talk this one female out of her addiction, but she said that if she didn’t take her medicine, the overwhelming feelings made her want to ******* herself. I talked to a few women who suffered from this, nothing I said could convince them to fight back against it, I told them they were stronger than that, that they were weaklings from letting this whoop their assess. None of the tactics I used worked, they would rather wallow in those negative feelings.

I don’t know how it feels to be depressed, but I knew people who did, they suffered from feelings of suicide, felt useless, and were addicted to their medication. I tried to talk this one female out of her addiction, but she said that if she didn’t take her medicine, the overwhelming feelings made her want to ******* herself. I talked to a few women who suffered from this, nothing I said could convince them to fight back against it, I told them they were stronger than that, that they were weaklings from letting this whoop their assess. None of the tactics I used worked, they would rather wallow in those negative feelings.
word_Fail-2.jpg
If you've never had depression before, and you're not a licensed professional, you shouldn't be giving these people advice. Talking these people out of taking their meds is not the right approach and could be much more destructive. This is NOT about just having negative feelings ... the negative feelings is the symptoms, not the CAUSE. Sometimes getting the correct meds in the right dosages requires trial & error (under doctor supervision). With this disease, it pays to find an experienced, highly qualified doctor to work this out; something that a lot of folks can't afford. Depression is a very complex disease. Please don't encourage patients to stop doing what their doctors have instructed them to do. Do encourage them to NOT give up, and to seek a second and even third "professional" opinions. Also note, finding a good, highly qualified psychiatrist is often suggested. The benefit there is that a psychiatrist can provide patients trial dosages of meds for free, while looking specifically at the bigger picture regarding the individuals overall "mental" health.
Also, its not all about MEDS but the quality of "treatment". Just as in any professional field, sadly, some doctors will feed off the "ill" or disabled to make their money. That's why it is so important that people with depression seek out the doctors who are in the field of treating depression rather than profiting from it. Unfortunately, not all doctors share the same levels of ethics and moral responsibilities.
pic_words-CommonSense-Obituary.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 2619040
If you've never had depression before, and you're not a licensed professional, you shouldn't be giving these people advice. Talking these people out of taking their meds is not the right approach and could be much more destructive. This is NOT about just having negative feelings ... the negative feelings is the symptoms, not the CAUSE. Sometimes getting the correct meds in the right dosages requires trial & error (under doctor supervision). With this disease, it pays to find an experienced, highly qualified doctor to work this out; something that a lot of folks can't afford. Depression is a very complex disease. Please don't encourage patients to stop doing what their doctors have instructed them to do. Do encourage them to NOT give up, and to seek a second and even third "professional" opinions. Also note, finding a good, highly qualified psychiatrist is often suggested. The benefit there is that a psychiatrist can provide patients trial dosages of meds for free, while looking specifically at the bigger picture regarding the individuals overall "mental" health.
Also, its not all about MEDS but the quality of "treatment". Just as in any professional field, sadly, some doctors will feed off the "ill" or disabled to make their money. That's why it is so important that people with depression seek out the doctors who are in the field of treating depression rather than profiting from it. Unfortunately, not all doctors share the same levels of ethics and moral responsibilities.
View attachment 2619039

They came to me for advice, I didn’t ******* it on em. At the end of the day I’ll encourage them to do what is best, just because you spend thousands of dollars pouring your heart out to some stranger still doesn’t mean the person will resolve the issues plaguing them. Whatever helps them overcome the ******* is the only outcome I’m concerned with.

They came to me for advice, I didn’t ******* it on em. At the end of the day I’ll encourage them to do what is best, just because you spend thousands of dollars pouring your heart out to some stranger still doesn’t mean the person will resolve the issues plaguing them. Whatever helps them overcome the ******* is the only outcome I’m concerned with.
Please don't take my response on this topic as lecturing. Its important that everyone know what depression is. Its really no different than finding the correct treatment for a cancer ... sometimes the doctors have to reach for that right approach to properly treat the cancer. Same with depression, but a lot less money has been invested, nationally, on its research. But, when seeing a psychiatrist, you're not necessarily "pouring your heart out to some stranger" as you say. Since we're talking about a mental disease, there's nothing a doctor can reach out and touch or take photos of as is with cancer, for example. Another example ... every two hours a US veteran commits suicide, a concern we should have in resolving it, but often goes undetected or dormant until it surfaces. Saying depression is a "sadness" sends out the wrong impression of the disease. Usually patients will be asked "how they feel" and "sadness" is simply what they can relate it to ... sort of like a "love sickness" where your stomach churns, chest tightens, you can't eat, ect ... BUT, you have no pinpoint cause of the feelings.
So, best thing to do is to be sympathetic to their feelings and encourage them to seek and/or not give up on solid professional help.

Please don't take my response on this topic as lecturing. Its important that everyone know what depression is. Its really no different than finding the correct treatment for a cancer ... sometimes the doctors have to reach for that right approach to properly treat the cancer. Same with depression, but a lot less money has been invested, nationally, on its research. But, when seeing a psychiatrist, you're not necessarily "pouring your heart out to some stranger" as you say. Since we're talking about a mental disease, there's nothing a doctor can reach out and touch or take photos of as is with cancer, for example. Another example ... every two hours a US veteran commits suicide, a concern we should have in resolving it, but often goes undetected or dormant until it surfaces. Saying depression is a "sadness" sends out the wrong impression of the disease. Usually patients will be asked "how they feel" and "sadness" is simply what they can relate it to ... sort of like a "love sickness" where your stomach churns, chest tightens, you can't eat, ect ... BUT, you have no pinpoint cause of the feelings.
So, best thing to do is to be sympathetic to their feelings and encourage them to seek and/or not give up on solid professional help.

I feel you, I know how life can deal people bad hands. I might not be a professional, with doctorates, and certificates vouching for my credentials, but I’m very experienced for my age, and these eyes of my have seen a lot. It doesn’t take much for me to see the weight some of these people have to bare everyday, my main, and only concern is that they eventually find peace in their lives. I’m that person that was there when they needed it, and was always rooting for their victory.

Back