College football venues

I retired in may. The only real non sexual thing I have on my bucket list is to attend games 3 or 4 times a fall at the coolest venues in the country. I go to Madison once a year to see the badgers and I saw them play in Ann arbor and Minneapolis. That is the extent of my experience though.
Would love to hear suggestions from anyone on what they consider a must location to visit for college football. I don't care where in the country it is, just that it be division 1 and have something unique about it.

Congrats on your retirement

It used to be Iowa and Wisc was a real good game ...because Alvarez was an asst under Hayden Fry.... but not quite the same now... but still a good game because both are so much alike

but then I guess that goes for the Big 10 in general... they all have those beef fed farm boys up front!

Wiscy changed to 3-4. But essentially Iowa and Wisconsin are the same. Very, very good developmental programs. In the national mix every 5-7 years.

Alabama tops preseason coaches poll; Big Ten well represented in top 10
Sam Cooper,Dr. Saturday 4 hours ago .

And here come the polls.

While we trickle out the Dr. Saturday Top 25 day-by-day until the season begins Aug. 26, USA Today unveiled its annual preseason coaches poll on Thursday. Unsurprisingly, Alabama, despite coming off a College Football Playoff national title loss to Clemson, topped the rankings at No. 1, receiving 49 first-place votes.

Ohio State, looking to rebound from getting shut out by eventual champion Clemson in the CFP semifinals, is No. 2 in the poll, ahead of Florida State at No. 3 and Rose Bowl champion USC at No. 4. Clemson, which beat the Crimson Tide in the final seconds to capture its second national title, came in at No. 5. However, Clemson did have the second-most first-place votes behind Alabama with seven.

Ohio State (5) and Florida State (4) were the only other schools to receive first-place votes.

The rest of the top 10 was rounded out by Big Ten champion Penn State at No. 6, Pac-12 champion Washington at No. 7, Big 12 champion Oklahoma at No. 8, Michigan at No. 9 and Big Ten West winner Wisconsin at 10.

Here is how the rest of the Top 25 shakes out:

11. Oklahoma State
12. LSU
13. Auburn
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Florida
17. Louisville
18. Miami
19. Kansas State
20. West Virginia
21. South Florida
22. Virginia Tech
23. Texas
24. Tennessee
25. Utah

The SEC leads the poll with six entries, followed by the ACC and Big 12 with five apiece. The Big Ten has four teams in the poll, all of which were picked in the Top 10. The Pac-12 also has four teams and the Group of Five’s lone representative is South Florida of the AAC.

Alabama tops preseason coaches poll; Big Ten well represented in top 10
Sam Cooper,Dr. Saturday 4 hours ago .

And here come the polls.

While we trickle out the Dr. Saturday Top 25 day-by-day until the season begins Aug. 26, USA Today unveiled its annual preseason coaches poll on Thursday. Unsurprisingly, Alabama, despite coming off a College Football Playoff national title loss to Clemson, topped the rankings at No. 1, receiving 49 first-place votes.

Ohio State, looking to rebound from getting shut out by eventual champion Clemson in the CFP semifinals, is No. 2 in the poll, ahead of Florida State at No. 3 and Rose Bowl champion USC at No. 4. Clemson, which beat the Crimson Tide in the final seconds to capture its second national title, came in at No. 5. However, Clemson did have the second-most first-place votes behind Alabama with seven.

Ohio State (5) and Florida State (4) were the only other schools to receive first-place votes.

The rest of the top 10 was rounded out by Big Ten champion Penn State at No. 6, Pac-12 champion Washington at No. 7, Big 12 champion Oklahoma at No. 8, Michigan at No. 9 and Big Ten West winner Wisconsin at 10.

Here is how the rest of the Top 25 shakes out:

11. Oklahoma State
12. LSU
13. Auburn
14. Stanford
15. Georgia
16. Florida
17. Louisville
18. Miami
19. Kansas State
20. West Virginia
21. South Florida
22. Virginia Tech
23. Texas
24. Tennessee
25. Utah

The SEC leads the poll with six entries, followed by the ACC and Big 12 with five apiece. The Big Ten has four teams in the poll, all of which were picked in the Top 10. The Pac-12 also has four teams and the Group of Five’s lone representative is South Florida of the AAC.
Would have been nice to see the big ten sneak one more in, 5 just seems a lot more impressive than 4 teams. It dose show that even though it helps the badgers, the divisions are too uneven.

Iowa almost always overperforms with a first yr qb. The kid from Wiscy won't play for probably 2-3 years. This said, if they don't have a downfield threat, they really do with the graduate transfer rb. Even without MVB, or the WR graduate transfer performing. Line up in a 3 TE set, and have one RB in the slot. Changes the way defenses have to play us. They need to respect two legit rb's.

I think safety and the punter are as big of concerns as anything else right now. Not according to conventional wisdom, but pre season polls and fans in the stadium aren't usually good sources.

We'll see. They have the potential to surprise this year. But I'd also say on paper they have a better chance of beating tOSU than PSU currently. A line of thinking not shared by the experts.

But the experts are usually always wrong. Especially preseason.

Full disclosure. I attend every Iowa game, home and away. I attend every spring scrimmage, and I'm a guest from time to time at closed practices in the fall. Iowa has a ways to go right now, but at this point in fall camp, they always do. Whether they get there or not is the question.

This said, if we take a look at the preseason T25, and then check in October, and again in mid January, you'll know why I trust my eyes and instinct more than the polls at this early stage. I don't know about other teams. I don't even know if Iowa can develop. In 2017 Iowa has the potential to develop, but probably more so in 18 and 19.

Some extremely interesting early season games. Thanks to the CFP for this. Some very compelling conference realignment scenarios for later, and some interesting storylines with new coaches etc that are going to play out this season.

Full disclosure. I attend every Iowa game, home and away. I attend every spring scrimmage, and I'm a guest from time to time at closed practices in the fall. Iowa has a ways to go right now, but at this point in fall camp, they always do. Whether they get there or not is the question

whoaaaaa... a hawkeye fan!!!!!!!

they always just play plain old hardnosed football and still manage to get the job done.... I remember one year we lost both running backs and one walk on running back.... everyone knew we had to pass... and we still got things done!
I don't care who they play... they are and will be competitive.....even Stanford making us look bad.... they did their damage in the first quarter....we were slowly working our way back into that game

as for Firenze.... he can work miracles.... when he wants to

Badgers just announced a 2 game series with Notredame . lambeau in 2020 and soldier field in 2021. I'll be at lambeau if I have to tunnel my way in. Still haven't gotten over last year.

whoaaaaa... a hawkeye fan!!!!!!!

they always just play plain old hardnosed football and still manage to get the job done.... I remember one year we lost both running backs and one walk on running back.... everyone knew we had to pass... and we still got things done!
I don't care who they play... they are and will be competitive.....even Stanford making us look bad.... they did their damage in the first quarter....we were slowly working our way back into that game

as for Firenze.... he can work miracles.... when he wants to

Expect some schematic changes to Iowa's offense this year. I'm not saying that they will resemble Oregon under Chip Kelly or Mark Helfrich, but expect to see some elements of a Spread offense incorporated into their scheme.

I retired in may. The only real non sexual thing I have on my bucket list is to attend games 3 or 4 times a fall at the coolest venues in the country. I go to Madison once a year to see the badgers and I saw them play in Ann arbor and Minneapolis. That is the extent of my experience though.
Would love to hear suggestions from anyone on what they consider a must location to visit for college football. I don't care where in the country it is, just that it be division 1 and have something unique about it.

I would recommend attending an SEC game. From what I've heard, The Grove at Ole Miss is a good time, and if you can get a ticket, the Georgia/Florida game in Jacksonville.

Back