ANIME: A THREAD FOR ANY WHO LOVES IT AND WHO WANTS TO TALK ABOUT THEIR FAVOURITES.

If you were to consider alchemy as the form of science used, there was also the Full Metal Alchemist? Questing for the Philosopher's Stone? But it was not set in the future though as it was around the Industrial Revolution era around a century ago +/-? The lead character has a metal arm and there were very young boys who studied alchemy to bring back their mom from the dead but the elder brother nearly lost his younger brother in the process so the only way he could live is if his spirit is embedded in a suit of armor and the elder brother lost his arm in the process as well so he uses a prosthetic metallic arm. No white lab coats, but I think they did have a sister they eventually reunited with?

Last edited:
If you were to consider alchemy as the form of science used, there was also the Full Metal Alchemist? Questing for the Philosopher's Stone? But it was not set in the future though as it was around the Industrial Revolution era around a century ago +/-? The lead character has a metal arm and there were very young boys who studied alchemy to bring back their mom from the dead but the elder brother nearly lost his younger brother in the process so the only way he could live is if his spirit is embedded in a suit of armor and the elder brother lost his arm in the process as well so he uses a prosthetic metallic arm. No white lab coats, but I think they did have a sister they eventually reunited with?
No it wasn't as popular as Full Metal Alchemist it was in syndication on UPN here in Chicago in the 90s

No it wasn't as popular as Full Metal Alchemist it was in syndication on UPN here in Chicago in the 90s
I'm still drawing a dud personally. Maybe the difference was that I grew up in Toronto, Canada? A lot of what we know is similar but maybe not in complete alignment? Perhaps maybe do Internet queries to jog your memory a little? I tried based on what you told me and the answers are shown in the background of this UPN page primarily?

I'm still drawing a dud personally. Maybe the difference was that I grew up in Toronto, Canada? A lot of what we know is similar but maybe not in complete alignment? Perhaps maybe do Internet queries to jog your memory a little? I tried based on what you told me and the answers are shown in the background of this UPN page primarily?

Yeah I'm gonna do that it might have aired in Canada on a different network or with another name but I'm gonna look for it.

Unfortunately, I have you both beat. Seeing that we are talking about non-animé, I am of an age where I can recall a time when Captain Marvel was also known as SHAZAM. As proof, I offer a video as evidence below which is how the program opened on TV back then, and if you wish to know further details I have a link where I posted the reason found on another thread.

That is awesome. I had seen a lot of the original Marvel movie openings and such but not that one. I still like watching the trailer for Hasselhoff as Nick Fury.

Ever wonder why DC and Marvel both have a Captain Marvel? There are many references to it in the DC Universe just as "Captain Marvel" was utilized in Stan Lee's Marvel Universe as well. The confusion originates from a pre-existing comic company called Fawcett Comics which had a very successful "Captain Marvel" comic book series. A lot of Captain Marvel's exploits sounded a lot like that of Superman. The originators of Superman did not like that so they were able to sue and eventually, Fawcett Comics died out leaving a void whereby what became DC Comics and Stan Lee's Marvel Comics both desiring to have that hero. Stan Lee eventually won as he had the name Marvel Comics with the intention of using that hero. Disappointed DC also desired to continue that series but they could no longer legally use the name "Captain Marvel" anymore so the next logical thing to do is to refer to the hero as "Shazam!". Peace.

Last edited:
Back