Vintage blacktowhite ... when it was really taboo

It's an old, old story in Germany. Here's a photo from 1946, recalling the warm welcome German women extended to Black American GIs.
A friend of mine was in the US Army in Germany in the early 80s, and he said that he walked into a bar once, and a black GI walked up and politely said something like "you're welcome to stay here, but I'm just letting you know that this is a bar where German women come to meet black GI's." My buddy (who's white) thanked him, finished his beer, and left.

A friend of mine was in the US Army in Germany in the early 80s, and he said that he walked into a bar once, and a black GI walked up and politely said something like "you're welcome to stay here, but I'm just letting you know that this is a bar where German women come to meet black GI's." My buddy (who's white) thanked him, finished his beer, and left.

I can thank the Army for much of my interracial compulsion. Hard to explain, but being a white boi as I am and having only been married for two years as I was, I couldn’t stop thinking about a black guy (or two) having my lovely young wife while I watched. I loved seeing the black men check her out and would oftentimes stand at a distance to watch. I was infatuated.

Back