The decline of the American auto industry and American car manufacturers.

Changing out cut down coils be a piece a cake for a guy with your mechanical abilities -

Trump has made us the number 1 energy resource in the world and now an exporter of oil. When he speaks he talks of all energy jobs he has created. Hard to know wherein lies the truth.

not sure a piece of cake...have to take off the lower control arm and shocks and with the spring in the shape it is in not sure I can even get my spring compressor between the coils….

trump killed a lot of energy when he came into office....trying to destroy anything Obama had put in...look and see just how many jobs he killed when he did that.....and then look and see how many coal jobs he added...big difference!
you must have forgotten about France and Canada asking him to NOT pull out of the greenhouse agreement....every other country in the world is getting away from coal...to include China....Canada want to be out of it with in the next few years...but not trump......he lost a lot of credibility world wide on that little deal

Ok so American Made Cars are being cut in favour of Trucks and SUVs.

I live in the country on a farm however I also work in manufacturing. I own the following. One H1Hummer four seater pick up truck fitted out with a fifth wheel to pull a Six Horse trailer to horse events which my sisters and nieces love to attend. I also use it to pull my cord wood wagon and a Large Air Stream Trailer when I go hunting or fishing.

I also own an International Pick Up Truck that get used by my sisters for their Horse Trips usually pulling the Air Stream trailer. It is also used by me to haul friends industrial heavy horses that we use for skidding fire wood out of the bush so as to minimize environmental damage.

Annual up keep for these two, Rust Proofing, Tune Ups and Oil Changes. That’s right. Do not have any rust issues, both have over three hundred thousand miles. Both have two sets of rims one set with summer road tires and one with winter tires.

I also own a Dodge Journey that I used to drive my elderly parents to doctors, dentists, hair cuts and shopping. It’s seems to be having a few to many recalled when compared to my other vehicles.

Lastly I own a commuter or grocery getter made by Nissan called a Juke. It’s a 2012. All I have to do is Rust Proof, and regular maintenance and a few recalles done at the same time as the maintenances no special appointments.

Not planning on selling any of them any time soon.

As for the big three it will be a long time before I buy any of their pick up trucks as my co workers always seem to need a lift due to repairs or recalles. Just saying.

Of the top 10 longest lasting cars...only 3 are american.

I have had a Kia Rio for 10 years. It has a 1400cc gas engine and has done 150k miles. I feel like I'm tempting fate, but it has been so trouble-free that I've learned to love it, even though it isn't fun to drive. It has done what is required of it and hasn't failed me once.

In my opinion the US has got to start marketing its technologies. We spend billions on R&D, then give it to other countries, free of charge, who've made absolutely no investments in that technology. They then end up competing with us with our own technology. That needs to stop! Otherwise, as far as autos are concerned, we could develop a lot of superior vehicles a lot faster, at a lower cost. Not really hard to figure that out. We did the very same thing with our weaponry, particularly with our jet fighters.
Of course, our brilliant, alt-President Tariff Man isn't helping our situation any.
Mazda and Ford had a tight relationship until around 2010 when Ford sold it's stake in Mazda. The rotary engine that Mazda was famous for came from Ford. It was hardly a one way trade. Mazda did a lot of heavy lifting to get the engine durable. A good friend of mine was an automotive engine engineer, he worked for Chevy and later Ford with a stint at the EPA. I think it was sometime in the late 70's or early 80's he was sent to Japan to consult with Mazda about a 2 liter engine in development. He was prepared to be any instructor but very quickly became a student. First meeting he attended they had high speed photography of a cylinder firing. Apparently they had developed a clear ceramic or glass cylinder head they could take pictures though. He was totally blown away by that. They spent the better part of a day looking at how the flame propagated across the combustion chamber. The technology of course came to the U.S.

The United States as a whole is better than anyone else at developing new technology however countries like Russia and especially China, Korea and Japan do an excellent job of refining it. Industrial espionage is pretty much all against businesses in the U.S. by the aforementioned countries with China being particularly aggressive.

One of the big problems today is multinational companies. Countries like China uses the business connections to commit industrial espionage. The business community has been aware of the problem for years government has been very slow to respond

Well the big three, GM, Ford and Chrysler are having issues but that's their own fault imo. When it came time to compete the Japanese auto manufacturers called for their engineers, the American car companies called for their lobbyists! All my personal cars are "American" not sure that means anything with all the outsourcing etc going on. Meanwhile I own A shop that specializes in German cars. I could afford to drive A German car no problem. I have all the specialized tools and the knowledge required to repair them as well. I don't own one however as their reliability is abysmal.
I'm NOT making the claim that American engineering is superior. American cars are just simpler, less stuff to break. Last thing I wanna do after fixing Krautmobiles all day is have to deal with problems in my own vehicle!
In the electric car field companies like Tesla are definitely holding their own. It is my belief that electric cars will take up A huge chunk of the market in the next decade. In SOME markets electric cars make sense, in others not so much. Electric cars suffer in cold weather SO BAD, even the ones that use Lithium ion batteries. Reduced range, failure to start in some cases, nevertheless they are here to stay.
The hot setup for A sports car anymore is parallel hybrid technology IMO. Electric drive on the front wheels and gas power to the rear. That gives you the ability to use regenerative braking to help charge the batteries and the ability to "overdrive" the front wheels on turns, basically thrust vectoring. Also electrical machines, they are called that because they work as both A motor and generator, make their full torque throughout their RPM range. That way the electric motor can fill in the gaps in output left by the ICE engine in the back, sadly most hybrids don't go that route. The new Acura NSX and the BMW i8 do however. The new, mid engine Corvette is supposed to be setup like that in the future at some point as well.
I actually have A fair bit of experience with all makes and models however, as many of my customers have second cars that are American and Japanese. Let me tell you that the reliability of ALL car lines is going down! Just too much tech, there's always something to break once that car hits 100k or more, depressing. Honda/acura once the gold standard for reliability, are now having issues with burning oil and faulty transmissions. American cars are actually using quite A bit of tech sourced from Germany, to their detriment as far as reliability goes. It's come to the point where I have A hard time recommending A set of wheels to A customer who is looking to keep A vehicle long term. Their all turning into pieces of *******, from A reliability standpoint at least!
My order of reliability goes like this.

Japanese, though the gap has narrowed.

American, though we cant seem to get direct-fuel injected, stratified charge engines right. To be fair though Ford actually did on A couple of their engines.

European, I have the theory that in Europe owning A car is largely unnecessary due to the fact of them actually having decent public transport. A car is there is A decadence, not A necessity. The point I am making is that, from what I've seen, in the trenches every day, no one is doing it quite right!
I think the best American cars were built in 1965, 1966, 1967,1968. Doesn't make any difference if was Ford GM or Mopar. Great cars from mild to wild were available. And they were easy to work on In the 70's most American cars were crap. The best thing that happened to the U.S. car industry was the Japanese car industry. American manufacturers couldn't seem to build a clean engine that performed and was economical. I had Toyota Celica ST 1973 or so. It was quicker than most American small block V-8's and 30 MPG no matter how I beat it. One of the most awesome cars I ever owned and I still regret ever selling it was an early 70's BMW 530i very polite well mannered in traffic but if you put your foot into and worked the gears it was a rocket on wheels. It was about 10 years old when I got it. It was my first and best BMW. I liked and still like BMW's but Black Man+BMW=******* Dealer in many parts of the country. Nothing much impressed me until the late 90's it took a long time to get clean reliable economical to run engines. Now I have a Hybrid Lincoln, I have had it for a few years and no significant problems although I have heard that most U.S. car makers are having chronic quality problems but since retirement I don't really keep up on that sort of thing

I've owned several GM products, including a C5 Corvette, which while fun to drive, had too many quality issues to justify keeping it. I would never consider buying an American branded car again.

I do own and drive VAG products, primarily due to their high fun factor and I'm willing to make the repairs needed to keep a VAG running. The difference being that German cars have reliability issues vs American quality issues: those are two different things.

The perception is real; Japan does have the reliability crown, but only Toyota and Honda, not Nissan or Mitsubishi. However Toyotas are just boring grandparent grocery getters. Honda still balances the fun/reliability scale very well and I recommend Hondas to most people. Subaru is a good choice for their niche in snow and light off-road capability.

Once again, I would never recommend American branded vehicles. In the light truck market, where American makers lead, I would recommend the Tundra or Tacoma over anything from GM, Ford or Fiat/Chrysler.

Back