Death sentences commuted

Subby

Male
From
UK
So, I see the governor of Oregon has commuted the death sentences of all 17 death row inmates.
This gives me hope that those states in the US who still do this will one day realise that killing people who commit crimes is a barbaric and backward thing to do. Not only is the death sentence barbaric and against the teachings of Christ, but it doesn't work as a disincentive to commit crime and is basically just cruel and nonsensical.

Well done her. 🙏

Unfortunately I can't agree with NOT having a death sentence. In extreme cases, the death sentence is the only thing that can guarantee closure. I do think, however, that when the death sentence is ON the table, the relatives & family of the deceased should be allowed to make that final call to apply the death sentence.
What I will agree is that the application of the death sentence isn't fair. Those who have the money for good lawyers are way more likely to avoid the death sentence, even in extreme cases, whereas those who are on the lower end of the economic scale are much more likely to have to settle with court-appointed lawyers and more biased jurors.
As far as "painful" and "barbaric" ... says who? Injections can be very quick & painless ... if the process is too time consuming and stressful, bring back the guillotines. But, you don't keep a rabid dog alive simply because you refuse to put it down due to cruelty.
I've put at least a dozen animals to slee.p with injections and other than the needle injection on one, the euthanizing went quickly, quietly, and uneventful. Sometimes things simply have to be destroyed to avoid any possibilities of hurting others.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't agree with NOT having a death sentence. In extreme cases, the death sentence is the only thing that can guarantee closure. I do think, however, that when the death sentence is ON the table, the relatives & family of the deceased should be allowed to make that final call to apply the death sentence.
What I will agree is that the application of the death sentence isn't fair. Those who have the money for good lawyers are way more likely to avoid the death sentence, even in extreme cases, whereas those who are on the lower end of the economic scale are much more likely to have to settle with court-appointed lawyers and more biased jurors.
As far as "painful" and "barbaric" ... says who? Injections can be very quick & painless ... if the process is too time consuming and stressful, bring back the guillotines. But, you don't keep a rabid dog alive simply because you refuse to put it down due to cruelty.
I've put at least a dozen animals to slee.p with injections and other than the needle injection on one, the euthanizing went quickly, quietly, and uneventful. Sometimes things simply have to be destroyed to avoid any possibilities of hurting others.
What, it guarantees closure? You mean it's cheaper? Or do you mean it satisfies the desire for revenge? Don't agree either way. Sticking someone in jail and removing their liberty for life doesn't provide 'closure' in the US?

As for 'painful', I didn't mention pain and I'm not against a bit of pain. In fact a lot of pain is good, but not so much that they don't have to live the rest of their miserable lives looking at a wall.

Here's a list of some countries that still have the death penalty. America has some prestigious company. And quite a lot of these countries are definitely in the barbaric category, in my view.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215-151758.png
    Screenshot_20221215-151758.png
    216.4 KB · Views: 1
And it's cruel because quite often the wrong person gets killed by the state. No, if it is wrong to ******* it is wrong to *******, no matter who is doing it.

Opinions often change when the victim is someone close. Premeditation & ******* Of are often the game changers.

It's the same way with abortion. Republicans, especially the religious right, are so adamant about ridding our society rights to abortion as "taking a life at conception" is even wrong to them. Some even damn birth control pills as unnatural. But, let one of their own under.age kid.s get pregnant in the most violent of ways and watch them quietly seek out an abortion with no regrets in doing it. I'm with abortion as I am the death penalty, there are situations which warrant implementing abortions.

If its one of your "own" you really don't know how you will react.

Matthew 7:1 ... "Judge not lest ye be judged".

Opinions often change when the victim is someone close. Premeditation & ******* Of are often the game changers.

It's the same way with abortion. Republicans, especially the religious right, are so adamant about ridding our society rights to abortion as "taking a life at conception" is even wrong to them. Some even damn birth control pills as unnatural. But, let one of their own under.age kid.s get pregnant in the most violent of ways and watch them quietly seek out an abortion with no regrets in doing it. I'm with abortion as I am the death penalty, there are situations which warrant implementing abortions.

If its one of your "own" you really don't know how you will react.

Matthew 7:1 ... "Judge not lest ye be judged".
This is one we disagree on Mac 👍

this... doesn't make sense.

the whole basis of rule of law is that we apply the law equally. you shouldn't get lighter sentences (or avoid otherwise execution) for killing orphans or pacifists

this... doesn't make sense.

the whole basis of rule of law is that we apply the law equally. you shouldn't get lighter sentences (or avoid otherwise execution) for killing orphans or pacifists
Guess you might have missed the word extreme before the word cases. Still, in those extreme cases I think the victim's family should have a say-so in whether the death sentence is carried out. There's a lot of logic, I think in this as it could drastically shorten the implementation of convicted villain's sitting on death row for 10-20 years. Once convicted, they would probably be given an appeal once, but then allow the death sentence to proceed if the families want it to proceed. We have allowed "slick lawyers" to victimize the "death sentence" itself.
There is a concern that some villians found guilty of "death sentence" type cases would be innocent, and probably more often the poor simply because they didn't get good legal representation. You see how Trump, for example, with his millions of dollors of wealth is able to avoid prison simply because of his many advantages to good legal representation. As they say, "its not whether you're guilty or not, its what the court can prove".

Guess you might have missed the word extreme before the word cases.

I mean I understand the emotion, but the law really can't work that way. if you base things off of how "extreme" you find the case, you'll end up having a bunch of racist white judges execute mostly black people because crime's always worse when a black person does it

.... which is exactly what happened come to think of it.

welp

Back