Celebrating Obama's Win

What qualifies as a "wrong profession or the wrong degree program"?

One you cannot find a job in when you graduate.

Oh, and what kind of living wage would that earn?

I don't know. I never finished my degree and I make low 6 figures.

Why shouldn't elementary teachers a great living, a real living wage, that would allow them to pay back their student loans? Elementary education are the most important years of a baby's life; those years set the stage for future failure or success. Knowing this, it would make sense that elementary teachers are paid very well because they are the ones gearing a baby towards the types of professions and degrees I believe you find worth it to put $100,000 of student loans towards

I never said they shouldn't. I was going on the reality of the situation as it stands know. I live in the real world, not a place where the world is as I wish it was. And yes, most teachers don't earn jack and should earn a lot more. It is ridiculous that we give professional athletes multi-million dollar salaries and pay teachers so little. But that is the world we live in right now. I hope it changes to a more realistic view at some point in the future. Maybe if the unions weren't so bloated and top heavy, the teachers would earn more.

Romney wanting Latinos to self deport? The last minute disenfranchisement efforts by Republicans to keep people of color from voting in this past election?

It's interesting that many Republicans, though by no means all, are very "pro-life" and yet fully support capital punishment. Women should have the right to choose and have full access to contraception. We also have a planet of 7+ billion people. Birth control and abortions keep this number from growing even faster that it normally would have.
Not every woman is capable of affording a baby. A baby that would be raised in poverty. And that cycle is very hard to break, once one is born in such poverty. Is that what you want?

On the first point, what would your solution be? Amnesty? Just let all the people WHO BROKE THE LAW TO BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE, have citizenship and jump in front of those who are dealing with the stupid, idiotic bureaucratic BS the right way (legally)? I have dealt with immigration, twice, the right way. Let me tell you it is a complete nightmare. The only thing worse is having to deal with the IRS.

On your second point, first, that is not part of the GOP party platform. Second, show me proof of what you are talking about. Third, I CAN show you proof of how the Obama administration tried to disenfranchise overseas military voters in Ohio by filing a lawsuit to stop the military from getting extra time to cast their absentee ballots and mail them in.

On your third point, I know this will shock no one, but I am one of those you describe. I am anti-abortion (I haven't made up my mind if there should be exceptions for life of mom and baby or ******* or *******), but I am pro the death penalty. There is a difference. In the case of the death penalty, the person getting the death penalty has 1. violated someone else's rights. and 2. They have shown they cannot function in a society based on law and order.

As for women having full access to contraception, they do. Wal-Mart has a program for those with no insurance where a month's supply of birth control pills costs $4. Most other pharmacies (CVS, Walgreens) have the same kind of programs in place.

I agree with your last statement about some women not being able to afford a baby. There is a simple solution. THEY SHOULD KEEP THEIR FREAKING LEGS CLOSED! Again, personal responsibility. They know the consequences of their actions, yet they choose to act irresponsibly anyway. It is not my responsibility to pay for their bad decisions.

If your mom or sister was raped and became pregnant would you want the government to tell her she had to have the baby or would you want them to have the choice to have the baby?

9th,
That is a very hard decision, and one I am struggling with. Of course I would not want them to be ****** to be reminded of what happened for the rest of their lives. On the other hand, the baby did nothing wrong.

I agree with your last statement about some women not being able to afford a baby. There is a simple solution. THEY SHOULD KEEP THEIR FREAKING LEGS CLOSED! Again, personal responsibility. They know the consequences of their actions, yet they choose to act irresponsibly anyway. It is not my responsibility to pay for their bad decisions.

And that right here ladies and gentleman is the crux of the argument: to control women's sexuality.

Thank goodness this kind of ideology is slowly but surely dying in America. Obama won the majority of women's votes for a reason. Women won't be voting Republican, ever, unless they start to support women's rights to 1) choose abortion and 2) have 100% access to birthcontrol. The republicans have defunded Planned Parenthood all across this country. This makes women (and many men such as myself) very angry.

So what professions and degrees would you recommend?

You have to be kidding me. You know damn well the majority of people without a college education will not be making anywhere close to the low 6 figures.

First answer, one where they can get a good paying job when they graduate. There are a lot of them. Computers, Engineering, Accountancy, even trained Chefs can make pretty good money. Sales, Marketing, Advertising.

Second answer, again it's about personal choice. I happened to get lucky and make the right choice. But for those who make the wrong one, you go back and correct that bad decision.

And that right here ladies and gentleman is the crux of the argument: to control women's sexuality.

How am I trying to control women's sexuality? I am just saying they need to be responsible for the decisions they make. Personal responsibility. If you can't afford it, don't do it until you can. Simple logic and reason.

How am I trying to control women's sexuality? I am just saying they need to be responsible for the decisions they make. Personal responsibility. If you can't afford it, don't do it until you can. Simple logic and reason.

The pro-life movement is all about controlling a woman's sexuality. "If you can't afford it, don't do it" applies only to women. What about you, as a man? So women should only have sex if they have a million dollars in the bank just in case she gets pregnant?

Many women do and want to take personal responsibility. This is difficult to do when Planned Parenthood is being defunded and access to birth control is restricted and abortion rights are being eroded.

We have a population of 7+ billion people, all of us competing for finite resources. More people equals more social and economic problems. This can be avoided by pushing towards a stronger birth control and pro-choice movement.

Well, I don't presume to speak for others on this issue, but I know for me, it has nothing to do with controlling women's sexuality. It is about saving an innocent life.

Men should share in the responsibility. If they are a couple and can't afford a baby, then they either need to take precautions or not do it. Now, that being said, accidents do happen with birth control. I know several women who were on birth control and took it faithfully and STILL ended up pregnant. They are just good "catchers". lol.

Now, if they are not a couple and they are just say a bar hookup or something like that, then it is their responsibility.

And as I said, you can get a prescription for birth control filled at wal-mart and many other pharmacies for $4 per month. If they can't afford $4, they don't need to be having sex.

First answer, one where they can get a good paying job when they graduate. There are a lot of them. Computers, Engineering, Accountancy, even trained Chefs can make pretty good money. Sales, Marketing, Advertising.

Not everybody has the mental capacity nor the desire to be a computer programmer, an engineer, or an accountant. So, you envision a United States with solely people who studied a BS degree?

Most chefs work for low wages. Many have high debt burdens and find themselves in the same situation as the elementary school teachers you mentioned earlier.

Second answer, again it's about personal choice. I happened to get lucky and make the right choice. But for those who make the wrong one, you go back and correct that bad decision.

You made some right choices, of course, but mostly you just got lucky making a low six figure salary without an education. Let's be realistic.

Not everybody has the mental capacity nor the desire to be a computer programmer, an engineer, or an accountant. So, you envision a United States with solely people who studied a BS degree?

Most chefs work for low wages. Many have high debt burdens and find themselves in the same situation as the elementary school teachers you mentioned earlier.

Those were just examples. I am sure there are other jobs. Plumbers and electricians make very good wages. And your question about my vision for the USA is so patently ridiculous I won't even bother to answer it.

Most chefs do start off making low wages (I was one for 3 years). But they work their way up and can make pretty good money.

You made some right choices, of course, but mostly you just got lucky making a low six figure salary without an education. Let's be realistic.

That is really insulting. I did make some good choices. But mostly I worked my ass off to be very good at what I do. Your response is along the lines of Obama's statement "You didn't build that." and it is obviously false and very insulting.

You make it sound so simple falcon. For one if you've invested that much time and money in a career path, few would have the fortitude or the resources to make an about face and pursue something else. I have a friend like you who has not completed his degree but through luck and exceptional talent in his field he commands a 6 figure salary. Thing is he's very much aware that his case is not the norm and as a result he counts his blessings everyday.

You make it sound so simple falcon. For one if you've invested that much time and money in a career path, few would have the fortitude or the resources to make an about face and pursue something else. I have a friend like you who has not completed his degree but through luck and exceptional talent in his field he commands a 6 figure salary. Thing is he's very much aware that his case is not the norm and as a result he counts his blessings everyday.

Same goes for me. I know how lucky I am, but I also made good, educated choices and worked my ass off. It takes a combination of luck, skill, hard work, and decision making to get to a good point in your career path (sometimes, an education too). Saying anything less cheapens what has been accomplished and is dishonest.

Peace and love friends :)

Hopefully it will soon be lawful for people to freely choose, in at least some states, what they smoke...

Peace and love friends :)

Hopefully it will soon be lawful for people to freely choose, in at least some states, what they smoke...

Already is. Colorado passed a law legalizing pot. I think there were one or two other states that did the same. Of course, the challenges will have to wind their way through the courts.

9th,
That is a very hard decision, and one I am struggling with. Of course I would not want them to be ****** to be reminded of what happened for the rest of their lives. On the other hand, the baby did nothing wrong.
Who do you Republicans think your fooling with this bullshit? If a "subhuman" ******* (you know that's what you racist idiots call us)from the poorest part of the city that your in raped your precious perfect little 13 yr old angel, do you really think I believe tha you are going to have that kid? Fuck outta here with this bullshit.

They made the constitution a living breathing document to be flexible, amended and change as to meet the demands of the country. So often some people don't want to acknowledge this very important fact.

Actually, it was intended to be flexible, amended and changed as to meet the needs of the country. Not the desires of those who could afford to lobby to change it to suit their whims.

Who do you Republicans think your fooling with this bullshit? If a "subhuman" ******* (you know that's what you racist idiots call us)from the poorest part of the city that your in raped your precious perfect little 13 yr old angel, do you really think I believe tha you are going to have that kid? Fuck outta here with this bullshit.

First, you have some very serious issues. May I suggest a good therapist, or in your case, a team of therapists?

Second, I have never once in my life called anyone subhuman or called anyone a racist name. Again, you don't know me, so stop casting your wishes for the way I am on me. Your wishes and reality are so far from the same thing it is laughable. It must be really nice to hide in your own imaginary world and blame everyone else for the reasons you failed in life, instead of actually doing something about it.

Third, again, you are a moron and don't know me. My ******* is 25. It happened in college and I didn't know she existed until she was 9 months old. And for your information, she was ******* as a kid by her step brothers and her mom's ex-husband. So, the next time you decide to open your mouth, if it is possible why don't you think about it before you do it and then be smart and do the opposite of what you decided to do.

Fourth and finally (I'm tired of responding to your childish insults, rants, and foul mouth, so this will be my last post on this thread.), in case you cannot read (which you obviously have trouble doing), as I said above, *******, ******* and the life of mom and baby are issues, when it comes to abortion, that I struggle with and that I have not made up my mind on. Again, it is not right to ******* the mom to remember what happened to her, but on the other hand, the baby did nothing wrong either.

Finis.

As for anti-women, some might consider the anti-abortion stance anti-women. I don't. I consider it pro-life. ******* is *******, whether you shoot someone in the head or whether you hoover them out of the womb.

However, as it is your opinion, as long as you apply it only to your womb, that's fine. Just stay out of everyone else's wombs.

Back