Black Athletes Should Economically Re-Invest By Playing at HBCU?

vej54

Male
Gold Member
The Black athletes generates billions of dollars for elements outside of their community....should they keep it strictly Black at HBCU like other communities keep money/revenue amongst their own people?

It is ideal but just very hard to do.
For one, resources come into play and many of these HBCUs operate in the red as it is. TV contracts are another thing, as well along with federal and local governments.

Not saying it could never happen because as we are seeing, it is a point of enlightenment but just hard for right now

You've got a good topic here. I'm from the UK and not all the way up on these things. It seems a little unclear. Are you asking whether that money they generate should be given to their communities? As far as I know college athletes don't get paid if this is the case the first question is should they be paid?

In the UK Anthony Joshua came under a lot of scrutiny with a lot of far right people exposing themselves when he supported the marches globally and told black people that they should not support businesses that act against black interests.

You've got a good topic here. I'm from the UK and not all the way up on these things. It seems a little unclear. Are you asking whether that money they generate should be given to their communities? As far as I know college athletes don't get paid if this is the case the first question is should they be paid?

In the UK Anthony Joshua came under a lot of scrutiny with a lot of far right people exposing themselves when he supported the marches globally and told black people that they should not support businesses that act against black interests.

Affirmative.....I am referring to these athletes skills and abilities would collaterally generate revenue via merchandise, local/state TV coverage, benefits for local businesses (black -owned) etc....circulating the money amongst black-hands like all other communities execute. Yes, Joshua's suggestion is very problematic because it directs Blacks to keep their own money in their own pockets and STOP funding their own oppression.....Bloody Mercenarys..oh yes, Born in Walthamstow, Essex.

It is ideal but just very hard to do.
For one, resources come into play and many of these HBCUs operate in the red as it is. TV contracts are another thing, as well along with federal and local governments.

Affirmative......points well identified...

Affirmative.....I am referring to these athletes skills and abilities would collaterally generate revenue via merchandise, local/state TV coverage, benefits for local businesses (black -owned) etc....circulating the money amongst black-hands like all other communities execute. Yes, Joshua's suggestion is very problematic because it directs Blacks to keep their own money in their own pockets and STOP funding their own oppression.....Bloody Mercenarys..oh yes, Born in Walthamstow, Essex.
I agreed with everything AJ said my issue was if your going to get political start looking at your sponsors. From what I know the Under Armour CEO isn't the most righteous of guys.

There are many statistics that say that the black dollar in US stays in its own community a lot less than many if not every other minority community. Black athletes should do more for their community but the lure of larger known branded companies whether they be media, fashion or otherwise do not have the same value mentally in the minds of those same athletes. You would have to consciously take a risk when doing so and if your coming from poverty is that a risk you can afford to take?

An article that discusses this very same topic.

Its pretty clear in order to generate wealth in your community you should at least try if your a black person in the US.

I agreed with everything AJ said my issue was if your going to get political start looking at your sponsors. From what I know the Under Armour CEO isn't the most righteous of guys.

There are many statistics that say that the black dollar in US stays in its own community a lot less than many if not every other minority community. Black athletes should do more for their community but the lure of larger known branded companies whether they be media, fashion or otherwise do not have the same value mentally in the minds of those same athletes. You would have to consciously take a risk when doing so and if your coming from poverty is that a risk you can afford to take?

They could re-invest revenue via funding summer computer science camps, young entrepreneur projects, weekly Law classes in their community, weekly financial investment classes, etc, the idea of building current and future wealth within their own community...seems to me a worthwhile risk....Oh yes, college scouts are always watching the black community because like diamonds the raw material increases with value over the course of time.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but suppose there was a black-owned auto company. Should blacks only buy this company's cars?
That seems to be the original question.
But the answer would be the same.

Namely, all things being equal, black car-buyers should definitely feel free to buy their cars from the black-owned manufacturer.
But most people, blacks included, are still going to buy from the traditional companies, because of price, track record, variety of models, etc.

HBCUs don't have the athletic payoff that the big universities have. Maybe in the past they did, but the proliferation of black student-athletes in college football and basketball simply checks more boxes for them (and their families). Also, the economic return to the HBCUs will never equal what the big state universities can generate. The BET network will never be able to pay schools what ESPN can pay the bigger colleges.

Having said all this, if this comes across as a narrow white-man's view, I apologize and welcome your input. I tried to view the original question objectively, and I realize we all need to take a longer look now at how we define "objectively."

They could re-invest revenue via funding summer computer science camps, young entrepreneur projects, weekly Law classes in their community, weekly financial investment classes, etc, the idea of building current and future wealth within their own community...seems to me a worthwhile risk....Oh yes, college scouts are always watching the black community because like diamonds the raw material increases with value over the course of time.
Yes it takes courage and bravery but unfortunately you have talent scouts, agents, family members, friends, security all waiting for a handout as they each have invested time, emotions and money into these athletes so each on turn wants the largest return on their investment. I've never been an athlete but I'm sure many do provide funding in the ways you describe it just isn't always visible.

He told people to boycott white business. This in itself is racist. Boycotting businesses due to the colour of the owners skin.

I understand what he is trying to get across, support local black businesses but how he said it was wrong, so I can't agree with him.

He told people to boycott white business. This in itself is racist. Boycotting businesses due to the colour of the owners skin.

I understand what he is trying to get across, support local black businesses but how he said it was wrong, so I can't agree with him.
No he did not. He said "their businesses". Can you tell me what he said before that? In any event you know what he was trying to say. Has he ever said anything publicly that would lead you to believe he hates or dislikes white people? Who do you think owns Audermars Piguet, Lynx, Under Armour or Beats? If you know what he meant why can you not forgive him for mispeaking in the heat of the moment? I think especially in his case you have a new rising Great White Hope in Tyson Fury who has been dogwhistling to some white people who feel in the current climate they are being victimised so they feel they have a new guy to get behind and no longer need this black man. The thing is the rich whites are looking at you the same way they do us.

I got a bottle of pineapple ciroc and a couple of koppabergs so I got plenty of time for this tonight.

Back