Any UK football fans out there?

It's done. 132 years in the making, incredible joy in the East Midlands. From 5000-1 longshots and relegation fodder to kings of English football.

Congrats Leicester City, the biggest, baddest minnow on the block.

Quite a story. Has there ever been a bigger outsider win in sport? I can't think of one in football anyway. I'm just back from the pub BM, where I watched the game in the company of a Spurs fan. It really looked like you were going to keep it going for a bit yet but not to be. My mate was gutted.

By the by within around half an hour of Leicester winning the league Mark Selby from Leicester and a long time fan of the club won the Snooker World championship. Should be quite a night in the city.

Quite a story. Has there ever been a bigger outsider win in sport? I can't think of one in football anyway. I'm just back from the pub BM, where I watched the game in the company of a Spurs fan. It really looked like you were going to keep it going for a bit yet but not to be. My mate was gutted.

By the by within around half an hour of Leicester winning the league Mark Selby from Leicester and a long time fan of the club won the Snooker World championship. Should be quite a night in the city.

To draw an American parallel, the Chicago Cubs haven't won a World Series (baseball) since 1908. If and when they finally win, and they are among the favorites this year, it would be somewhat comparable. Other comparables would be the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004 following an 86 year drought (1918), the Chicago White Sox winning the World Series in 2005 following an 88 year drought (1917), and the Philadelphia Phillies winning their first World Series in 1980 after 97 years of play (founded in 1883).

In terms of outsider wins, Leicester might be the biggest. All I can draw a comparison to is the New York Jets winning Super Bowl III being a 16 point underdog and being a team from what was believed to be an inferior league (this is generally regarded as the biggest upset in American team sports history), the 1980 U.S. Olympic ice hockey team beating the Soviet Union on the way to winning the gold medal, and Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson for the heavyweight title.

Indeed, Leicester is the party capital of the world as we speak.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35988673

To draw an American parallel, the Chicago Cubs haven't won a World Series (baseball) since 1908. If and when they finally win, and they are among the favorites this year, it would be somewhat comparable. Other comparables would be the Boston Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004 following an 86 year drought (1918), the Chicago White Sox winning the World Series in 2005 following an 88 year drought (1917), and the Philadelphia Phillies winning their first World Series in 1980 after 97 years of play (founded in 1883).

In terms of outsider wins, Leicester might be the biggest. All I can draw a comparison to is the New York Jets winning Super Bowl III being a 16 point underdog and being a team from what was believed to be an inferior league (this is generally regarded as the biggest upset in American team sports history), the 1980 U.S. Olympic ice hockey team beating the Soviet Union on the way to winning the gold medal, and Buster Douglas knocking out Mike Tyson for the heavyweight title.

Indeed, Leicester is the party capital of the world as we speak.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35988673

Ha, ha. I really don't know much about American sports but even I've heard of the Chicago Cubs failure to win the World Series. I believe it's quite famous. I shall watch with interest to see if their drought finally ends.

Softlad- Betting on Burnley to win premiership next season? :)

I foresee Leicester doing well in Champions League. This team will surge ahead with self taught confidence brushing aside financially strong clubs. Am absolutely in love with soccer right now. Even the game played out yesterday between Bayern vs Atletico god, tempo - press pass play was frantically attacking minded. Hoping the tone carries on with Real vs City tonight.

The only drama left is to see who will be joining Aston Villa in the Championship, and who will be coming up. I haven't looked at the Championship table lately, but I think Middlesbrough is getting promoted, but I'm not sure who was in second, perhaps Hull or Burnley.

The only drama left is to see who will be joining Aston Villa in the Championship, and who will be coming up. I haven't looked at the Championship table lately, but I think Middlesbrough is getting promoted, but I'm not sure who was in second, perhaps Hull or Burnley.

Burnley are already up. Middlesbrough play Brighton this weekend with the winner being promoted and the loser into the play offs. Should be quite a game. Hull are in the play offs.

I had a look at the odds for next season and shortest for Leicester to repeat the feat is25/1. I quite fancy Spurs for next season. Bournemouth at 1000/1? It will be interesting to see if this is a one off or if there has been a genuine sea change. There will be new managers at Chelsea, Man City, possibly Man U and Klopp in his first full season at Liverpool so there are so many unknowns.

Have an inkling that City might do it tonight specialone.

Inkling didn't work soft-lad but a deflected goal sent them through! lol
City looked pretty much scared. My intuition also suggests, Pep might manage City in Europa League next season.
If they were to finish outside top four or pushed over by liverpool winning Finals, he might consider year long hiatus

Inkling didn't work soft-lad but a deflected goal sent them through! lol
City looked pretty much scared. My intuition also suggests, Pep might manage City in Europa League next season.
If they were to finish outside top four or pushed over by liverpool winning Finals, he might consider year long hiatus

Yep, my record on predictions is not good. I picked Chelsea for the Prem and Derby for Championsip. Scared sums it up pretty well - they never looked like scoring. Pep wont be happy if they don't make CL.

Whereas, my speculative side is excellent. No wonders I can round off shares even in otherwise slow/dull markets operating through lower volumes. Find great similarity between investing with correct companies via stock market (financially) and right sportive club (emotionally), as in premiership or bundesliga. One may speculate precisely depending on various factors around the club - new players, hiring better coach, unearthed home grown talents, takeovers and player - media interactions. Whereas in stock trading, investor cautiously approaches a company seeing -- new product launch, hiring experienced CEO, mergers/ liquefying de-mergers, hiring home grown mba's, acquisitions and public interview. Any sane person will feel political pressure is greater on capital markets which is why, its puts off people from investing in there. No one could see Leicester winning the League or Liverpool reaching Europa League on new years eve. :) It wasn't on anyone's card.

Pep deserves this soft-lad but he doesn't appear humble. Stint in Europa League may, soften his over-ambitious stance and attitude because cup is a cup. I think, Mourinho is very likely candidate in taking over old trafford this summer itself because fans are tired of van gaal's inconsistent methods. However if Atletico win Champions league (95% they will), doors open with Simeone as well. Pride in hosting top managers will make premiership more lucrative, at club and national level

I can't believe Simeone hasn't already been snapped up. Surely it's only a matter of time. I agree that Mourinho is Manchester bound but it will be interesting to see how that goes. His teams don't exactly play the free flowing football that the fans seem to think is the 'United way'. I guess it will all come down to whether he gets success.

Whereas, my speculative side is excellent. No wonders I can round off shares even in otherwise slow/dull markets operating through lower volumes. Find great similarity between investing with correct companies via stock market (financially) and right sportive club (emotionally), as in premiership or bundesliga. One may speculate precisely depending on various factors around the club - new players, hiring better coach, unearthed home grown talents, takeovers and player - media interactions. Whereas in stock trading, investor cautiously approaches a company seeing -- new product launch, hiring experienced CEO, mergers/ liquefying de-mergers, hiring home grown mba's, acquisitions and public interview. Any sane person will feel political pressure is greater on capital markets which is why, its puts off people from investing in there. No one could see Leicester winning the League or Liverpool reaching Europa League on new years eve. :) It wasn't on anyone's card.

Pep deserves this soft-lad but he doesn't appear humble. Stint in Europa League may, soften his over-ambitious stance and attitude because cup is a cup. I think, Mourinho is very likely candidate in taking over old trafford this summer itself because fans are tired of van gaal's inconsistent methods. However if Atletico win Champions league (95% they will), doors open with Simeone as well. Pride in hosting top managers will make premiership more lucrative, at club and national level

Specialone, do you care to put your skills to the test and predict a winner for the Euros? My money will be on Germany to double up on their World Cup win but you know all about my predictions.

Between France and Turkey/Belgium.

France can bank over performing players that have brought clubs at semi-final stage of Champions League
Grizemann- Ribery - Martial - Kante' - have excellent prospect in lifting it over home turf. Banning Benzema is blessing in disguise as it indeed will create harmony in french side. Turkey because above average European teams have a 'knack' in causing major upsets. For instance, Greece vs Portugal (Early 2000's final). This is long suffering nation that craves for major silver ware. Belgium look's good on paper, no wonders they are ranked top three in FIFA.

England
usually crap themselves after winning two games in a trot. Their confidence diminished in knock out rounds, same can be said about Italy and Portugal. Spain and Germany will give spirited fight but i don't see them go past semi final stage.

Top Scorers- Cannot be determined :)

Back