the term "spade"

I suppose these days of political correctness and not wanting to offend, it is some times a challenge to find an acceptable word. What is acceptable to one is not to another, I get confused as to whether he is a black man or a coloured man. Then am I coloured, white being a colour as much as any other colour. It is easy to upset an individuals sensibilities, these days I hear such foul language from the mouths of people, loudly spoken in the street, why is there a need for it? Is it to shockk or to intimidate? There is a time and place for good strong anglo saxon words, but not spoken out loudly in a public place and likewise there is maybe a time and place for words that are considered offensive when describing some one of a different race and colour (color, for our American friends). Society seems to dictate acceptable language but I for one do not like swearing and derogatory name calling. It has been said, in this thread that a symbol isn't required and perhaps this is the case, actions speak louder than words, but then it is said a picture paints a thousand words. People are judged by the company they keep and the words they speak. So for myself, no symbol, a civil tounge and the company of black men.
(sorry for the ramblings)

is a derogatory name for a black man, that being the case, what would be a more suitable symbol other than the Ace or Queen of Spades?

******* if that's the case, it's a whole LOT of derogatory names used on this site. And some people just think its acceptable.

Unlike other derogatory words, the word "spade" is used as a reference to color, not race. In some card games, the most powerful card is the Ace Of Spades ... why would anyone really take offense to that? The word IS what you MAKE it. Also, words like that are only derogatory when its a white person saying them. Blacks have no problem using supposedly derogatory words in their rap or conversations with each other. Personally, I always thought the symbol of a crow would be a good symbol. We need to lighten up, as a society, and quit trying to make ******* out of stuff that ain't ******* ... that's the ******* sucking lawyer's and politician's job. ;)
What planet do YOU live on? In your first sentence you admit it's a derogatory word but then try to say it's used in reference to colour not race. How is that sound logic? It's like me saying, "I know calling you a midget is a bad thing but I'm only doing it because you're short." :unsure: ...um yeaaahhhh. The word is not just simply derogatory ... the word is racist. After that you just make sweeping generalization that belie a cluelessness of epic proportions. "Words like that are only derogatory when white people say them." Really? A derogatory word is a derogatory word there's no on/off switch depending on the colour of your skin. "Blacks have no problem using supposedly derogatory words in their conversations with each other." Actually yes some of us do have a problem with it. I know I do. So that invalidates your statement as is often easy to do when sweeping generalisations are made. Society won't lighten up without discussion, dialogue and understanding of matters that are either ignored or avoided entirely. Some of us here enjoy a good serious discussion, hence the thread.

I still dont see any need for these "symbols" or whatever. Why are they even needed?

In truth, they aren't really needed. Just different strokes for different folks.

Some people like the idea of them as something that helps make them feel like they are part of the "in crowd". Sort of like being privy to the secret handshake.
Others like them for the shock value it has when others see it and then learn what they mean.
Some like to feel like they are making a lifestyle commitment and a tat helps make it that much more real to them.
Then there are people who are just addicted to tattooing and they incorporate things that have meaning for them into their ink fetish.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but the truth is, if a white woman really wants to meet a black man to have some sort of relationship with or just to hook up with for sex, she will find a way to do it regardless of tattoos, jewelry or clothing.
Same thing with the men, they will approach women they are interested in and see where it leads just as they have for as long as men and women have existed.

In truth, they aren't really needed. Just different strokes for different folks.

Some people like the idea of them as something that helps make them feel like they are part of the "in crowd". Sort of like being privy to the secret handshake.
Others like them for the shock value it has when others see it and then learn what they mean.
Some like to feel like they are making a lifestyle commitment and a tat helps make it that much more real to them.
Then there are people who are just addicted to tattooing and they incorporate things that have meaning for them into their ink fetish.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well, but the truth is, if a white woman really wants to meet a black man to have some sort of relationship with or just to hook up with for sex, she will find a way to do it regardless of tattoos, jewelry or clothing.
Same thing with the men, they will approach women they are interested in and see where it leads just as they have for as long as men and women have existed.
Well said, well said.

I think terms of colour are always going to be around, "not just for black people" Honky, Snow drop, for example, Yellow fin, for chinese people, ETC, for us, we find them all offensive, i mean what is wrong with just saying that i am white, or I am Brown, or I am Black, the reason i like black men is because it's different, Exotic you might say, however, if i was with a black guy and he wanted me to use words like this then maybe i would.

I think terms of colour are always going to be around, "not just for black people" Honky, Snow drop, for example, Yellow fin, for chinese people, ETC, for us, we find them all offensive, i mean what is wrong with just saying that i am white, or I am Brown, or I am Black, the reason i like black men is because it's different, Exotic you might say, however, if i was with a black guy and he wanted me to use words like this then maybe i would.

Whenever filling out those stupid questionnaires that ask what race, I like to write in "human". :D

LOL ... 9thWonder, all I did was respond to Carol Michaels question. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. That said, however, I certainly didn't bring the subject up. But, I imagine you knowing i'm a "white boy", (as it's so often referenced in this forum) you elected to allow it to ruffle your feathers a bit ... had I been a black guy (hope using THAT reference instead of Afro-American, or whatever) or even a white woman, you wouldn't have plastered a half page repremand on me, would you? Next time the word "honkie" or "cracker" is used to reference a white male, I'm sure you'll stand right up and repremand that person as well, right? I won't count on it, however. Again, didn't mean to offend anyone! ;)

LOL ... 9thWonder, all I did was respond to Carol Michaels question. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone. That said, however, I certainly didn't bring the subject up. But, I imagine you knowing i'm a "white boy", (as it's so often referenced in this forum) you elected to allow it to ruffle your feathers a bit ... had I been a black guy (hope using THAT reference instead of Afro-American, or whatever) or even a white woman, you wouldn't have plastered a half page repremand on me, would you? Next time the word "honkie" or "cracker" is used to reference a white male, I'm sure you'll stand right up and repremand that person as well, right? I won't count on it, however. Again, didn't mean to offend anyone! ;)

Lol whats wrong with this guy?

is a derogatory name for a black man, that being the case, what would be a more suitable symbol other than the Ace or Queen of Spades?
this hypocrite don't like the spade word but can insult white men about thinking they all have small ones just because she married one who later dumped her because she could not cuckold him.

Unlike other derogatory words, the word "spade" is used as a reference to color, not race. In some card games, the most powerful card is the Ace Of Spades ... why would anyone really take offense to that? The word IS what you MAKE it. Also, words like that are only derogatory when its a white person saying them. Blacks have no problem using supposedly derogatory words in their rap or conversations with each other. Personally, I always thought the symbol of a crow would be a good symbol. We need to lighten up, as a society, and quit trying to make ******* out of stuff that ain't ******* ... that's the ******* sucking lawyer's and politician's job. ;)
yeah mister boring dull white guy, you need to get your cunt wife fucked in the ass by a big black dick already before it's to late. she will dump your sorry ass pretty soon. bring her on by to los angeles i got some brothas waiting to fuck her and pimp her out and put her on the streets

most times its not his name i call out but other things i want or how it feels at that moment..besides it's 2012 and time to forget those words or terms that degrade any one....
You're trapped a decade behind...

Back