Read this and get enraged: Slave owner, trader’s descendant proud of him

Angelyn

Female
I'm just going to throw this in for discussion's sake:

The article linked below is to someone descended from a slaveowner and slave trader.

She's proud of her great-grandfather who "was renowned for his business prowess, outstanding boldness, strong leadership, vast influence, immense contributions to society, and advancement of Christianity". She argues that her ancestor "lived in a time when the fittest survived and the bravest excelled. The concept of "all men are created equal" was completely alien to traditional religion and law in his society", and that "It would be unfair to judge a 19th Century man by 21st Century principles".

She says her family is very proud of the fact that he resisted the abolitionist forces who invaded her land from the North.

I'm just going to throw this in for discussion's sake:
No, you're "throwing it in" as a divisive topic that everyone already knows about, but will create undesirable, hostile comments.
Hell, I have a photo thread on early black&white relationships prior to the 1970s which is quite popular ... had I so desired, I could have posted actual time related photos in that thread of black people stripped naked, on a slave trading podium, showing the whip marks and scares ... did I do that? Hell no, because that's not ENJOYMENT, Angelyn.
I even considered starting a thread on white male castration, too ... real photos, the whole thing. I didn't, again, because those types of photos don't make this website enjoyable, besides the fact some photos being gross.
Part of fixing our future in racial relationships is releasing part of our past negativities. You're a smart girl, you should know that.
pic_twocentsWorth2.jpg

Back