R.I.P. CRAIGSLIST

Shown Here:
Passed House amended (02/27/2018)

Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act of 2017
(Sec. 2) This bill expresses the sense of Congress that section 230 of the Communications Act of 1934 was not intended to provide legal protection to websites that unlawfully promote and facilitate ******* and websites that facilitate traffickers in advertising the sale of unlawful sex acts with sex trafficking victims. Section 230 limits the legal liability of interactive computer service providers or users for content they publish that was created by others.
(Sec. 3) The bill amends the federal criminal code to add a new section that imposes penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to 10 years, or both—on a person who, using a facility or means of interstate or foreign commerce, owns, manages, or operates an interactive computer service (or attempts or conspires to do so) to promote or facilitate the ******* of another person.
Additionally, it establishes enhanced penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to 25 years, or both—for a person who commits the offense in one of the following aggravating circumstances: (1) promotes or facilitates the ******* of five or more persons, or (2) acts with reckless disregard that such conduct contributes to sex trafficking.
A person injured by an aggravated offense may recover damages and attorneys' fees in a federal civil action.
A court must order mandatory restitution, in addition to other criminal or civil penalties, for an aggravated offense in which a person acts with reckless disregard that such conduct contributes to sex trafficking.
A defendant may assert, as an affirmative defense, that the promotion or facilitation of ******* is legal in the jurisdiction where it was targeted.
(Sec. 4) The bill amends the Communications Act of 1934 to declare that section 230 does not limit: (1) a federal civil claim for conduct that constitutes sex trafficking, (2) a federal criminal charge for conduct that constitutes sex trafficking, or (3) a state criminal charge for conduct that promotes or facilitates ******* in violation of this bill.
The amendments apply regardless of whether alleged conduct occurs before, on, or after this bill's enactment.
(Sec. 5) The bill amends the federal criminal code to define a phrase related to the prohibition on sex trafficking. Currently, it a crime to knowingly benefit from participation in a venture that engages in sex trafficking. This bill defines "participation in a venture" to mean knowingly assisting, supporting, or facilitating a sex trafficking violation.
(Sec. 6) A state may file a federal civil action to enforce federal sex trafficking violations.
(Sec. 7) This section states that this bill does not limit federal or state civil actions or criminal prosecutions that are not preempted by section 230 of the Communications Act of 1934.
(Sec. 8) The Government Accountability Office must report to Congress on information related to damages and mandatory restitution for aggravated offenses under this bill.

The OP is correct. The personals section is dead. Don't believe it, try clicking on one of the links see if you don't get this message:

US Congress just passed HR 1865, "FOSTA", seeking to subject websites to criminal and civil liability when third parties (users) misuse online personals unlawfully.
Any tool or service can be misused. We can't take such risk without jeopardizing all our other services, so we are regretfully taking craigslist personals offline. Hopefully we can bring them back some day.
To the millions of spouses, partners, and couples who met through craigslist, we wish you every happiness!

While I am a bit unhappy to see it go, what did disgust me about CL was you'd go on there trying to find people with similar interests and the personals section was always inundated with ads from prostitutes. There's nothing, I mean nothing that turns more off more than arrangements where you *******. Skanks get a job already. Just my two.

US Congress just passed HR 1865, "FOSTA", seeking to subject websites to criminal and civil liability when third parties (users) misuse online personals unlawfully.

Any tool or service can be misused. We can't take such risk without jeopardizing all our other services, so we are regretfully taking craigslist personals offline. Hopefully we can bring them back some day.

To the millions of spouses, partners, and couples who met through craigslist, we wish you every happiness!

Poor skanks. They will flood backpage with their proposals now.

HR 1865, "FOSTA",
Shown Here:
Passed House amended (02/27/2018)

Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act of 2017

(Sec. 2) This bill expresses the sense of Congress that section 230 of the Communications Act of 1934 was not intended to provide legal protection to websites that unlawfully promote and facilitate ******* and websites that facilitate traffickers in advertising the sale of unlawful sex acts with sex trafficking victims.

that fucking Republican Rob Portman from Ohio introduced this bill ..he's a religious zealot of the highest order ..he's taken sex trafficking as an excuse to shut down all (according to him) "immoral" activity in personals ads etc...what a fucking scumbag ... i used to live in OHIO . when i was younger ..married an Australian woman got the fuck outta there and moved to Australia. best decision i ever made..when we visit every year , relied on craigslist to meet all those wonderful BBC lovers for the Mrs... ...RIP craigslist ..so much for the land of the free..ae

Last edited:
(...) Check Canadian sub categories casual encounter and everything's fine still. New policy hasn't reached Canada yet I guess.
Well, that`s because Canada has its own laws. Simply put there is no need for the site operators to take action on Canadian sites. ;) It has not much to do with "site policy" per se, but with applicable law and the risks for site operators that come with it.

It is a real pity for hundered thousands of users who have benefited from CL`s personals service in the US, but i can fully understand why CL has decided to make this step. Very sad for the vast majority of users who used their services righteously, though! :(

I wonder if a site outside of the US will fill the void. FOSTA makes any personals website hosted in the U.S. liable. Of course, the next thing we know American ISPs may have to block access to foreign personals websites.
...which they are already enabled to do after ceased net neutrality. :( The dark era has begun... :devil:

Well Craigslist list shut down their personals section. I met a lot of women and couples on CL. A LOT LOL. Anyone have any good CL stories you'd like to share?
I know that fucks the game up! sites like this will grow...
I honestly met 2 great couples off of clist ...

Back