Most Overrated/Underrated President

.....You're wasting my time and yours, too Torp, as well as b2w ink with your responses. Surely you have something better to do. The record shows what it shows; are you denying that Republicans met privately before Obama even took the oath of office, to plan his downfall? They had no intention of working with the President, only obstruct him and try to make it appear it was his fault. The Party Of NO (a term they estab. for themselves) is falling apart before your very eyes due to their own foolishness and stupidity, and you're too stubborn to admit it. I won't totally enjoy their demise until the 2016 election, however, when Dem's take back the Senate, and possibly the House in 2018 mid's.
.....Republicans need to get their house in order; no one can help them but themselves ... starting by shedding their Reaganomics ideology& radical Teabagger party, and reversing the "Citizens United" decision.
.....As far as PPACA is concern, I'll give you some of your own advice ... quit your whining. Republicans kept kicking that can down the road on purpose, as they had NO intentions of coming up with a health plan. They've done nothing but cut taxes for the wealthy, create wars, and run up the debt since Reagan. Why should YOU complain ... you benefited from "trickle down" and you don't care about anyone but Torp, "Mr. One Percenter", and you certainly don't care about mentoring; buy yourself some fresh "cryin' hankies" and fuss at your conservative party to "go to work and DO THEY JOBS".
And the Democrats need to do something about their trickle up poverty.

Are you really so naive as to think the Democrats don't gather to plot the demise of the Republicans?

Most overrated POTUS: Kennedy
Most underrated POTUS: Nixon
I think I will have to agree. President Kennedy was a coward. The Bay of Pigs would likely have succeeded except he never allowed the air support from the Navy the Cuban insurgents were promised. The birds sat on the deck of the Air Craft carriers fueled and armed and the order to attack never came. If we had provided the promised air support there is a good chance Castro could have been ousted. During the Cuban Missile Crisis Kennedy got a lot of great press for how he stood up to the Soviet Union. They didn't mention that we pulled out missiles out of Turkey and seriously weakened our European defensive offensive capabilities.

Nixon opened up China and he got us out of Vietnam. The whole Watergate thing wouldn't have went anyplace except the press didn't like him and both houses were controlled by the Democrats

View attachment 794020 " .... and the Obama bashers never sleep."
The party of NO is so unhappy right now. Voters are starting to wake up to the past 4 (soon to be 6) years of doing NOTHING. They'll be a lot unhappier come December.

Yes, voters keep waking up to the past 4 (soon to be 6) years and continue to elect Republican governors, Senators, Representatives, and State Legislators.

Yes, voters keep waking up to the past 4 (soon to be 6) years and continue to elect Republican governors, Senators, Representatives, and State Legislators.
that's not holding up here lately.... can't remember the state but it was just on the news... tea party gov had special election to fill 8 seats if I remember right... 4 already held by the dems... the gov campaigned hard so he could push his agenda....didn't work... the dems held onto the 4 seats AND picked up another one!.... and the tea party gov in ks. is starting to lose support also

that's not holding up here lately.... can't remember the state but it was just on the news... tea party gov had special election to fill 8 seats if I remember right... 4 already held by the dems... the gov campaigned hard so he could push his agenda....didn't work... the dems held onto the 4 seats AND picked up another one!.... and the tea party gov in ks. is starting to lose support also

1 seat picked up, are you suggesting that this is a tidal wave of Democrat support? I posted numbers on one of these political threads within the past 3 or 4 days showing the sea change in the states since 2008 with regard to number of Democrat governors and Democrat controlled state legislatures.

You're right. I should have started with my opinions.Underrated: Lyndon Johnson. I didn't learn much about him throughout school. He was only mentioned once in my high school, which was the signing of the Civil Rights Act 1964. Other accomplishments include The Voting Right Act of 1965. Appointing Thurgood Marshall on the Supreme Court, the first African American Supreme Court judge. People don't realize, but this changed the political landscape. The Democratic Party use to count heavily on the Southern Democrats, which Johnson was part of. "We have lost the South for a generation," was President Johnson is supposed to have said after signing these acts. Started programs such as Head Start, food stamps, Work Study, Medicare, and Medicaid. Signed the Immigration Act of 1965, which substantially liberalized US immigration policy towards non-Europeans. The problem with Lyndon Johnson is that most things are overshadowed by the escalation in Vietnam.
Much of the civil right legislation was enacted under LBJ but if it hadn't been for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. there wouldn't have been much to sign

Last edited:
.....You're wasting my time and yours, too Torp, as well as b2w ink with your responses. Surely you have something better to do. The record shows what it shows; are you denying that Republicans met privately before Obama even took the oath of office, to plan his downfall? They had no intention of working with the President, only obstruct him and try to make it appear it was his fault. The Party Of NO (a term they estab. for themselves) is falling apart before your very eyes due to their own foolishness and stupidity, and you're too stubborn to admit it. I won't totally enjoy their demise until the 2016 election, however, when Dem's take back the Senate, and possibly the House in 2018 mid's.
.....Republicans need to get their house in order; no one can help them but themselves ... starting by shedding their Reaganomics ideology& radical Teabagger party, and reversing the "Citizens United" decision.
.....As far as PPACA is concern, I'll give you some of your own advice ... quit your whining. Republicans kept kicking that can down the road on purpose, as they had NO intentions of coming up with a health plan. They've done nothing but cut taxes for the wealthy, create wars, and run up the debt since Reagan. Why should YOU complain ... you benefited from "trickle down" and you don't care about anyone but Torp, "Mr. One Percenter", and you certainly don't care about mentoring; buy yourself some fresh "cryin' hankies" and fuss at your conservative party to "go to work and DO THEY JOBS".
How do you explain a national debt that has went from 10 trillion to 19 trillion under President Obama's watch? Did those sneaky Republican sneak in some tax cuts for the wealthy I am not aware of?

How do you explain a national debt that has went from 10 trillion to 19 trillion under President Obama's watch? Did those sneaky Republican sneak in some tax cuts for the wealthy I am not aware of?
You conservatives simply refuse to accept the state of the economy and magnitude of the recession when Obama took office. You act as if the "free falling economy" should have instantly stopped once Obama took office, and because it didn't, its his fault. Whether the strategies Obama had in mind would have slowed the free fall any sooner, we'll never know ... WHY, because Republicans automatically took up an obstructionist position with the President BEFORE he even had a chance to sit and discuss his ideas with them. You seem to deny that the Republicans obstructionist activities should have had ANY impact on the speed of the recovery. There's one thing for sure, HAD the Republicans not been so busy filibustering and blocking everything the President wanted to do an unprecedented number of times, the recovery would have happened a lot sooner. Instead, they did everything "intentionally" to try to make him and the liberals fail at the expense of the rest of the country ... and Republicans FAILED at that as well.

I'm certainly getting TIRED of explaining this to you over and over and over; had the likes of John McCain and Sarah Palin gotten elected ( they were defeated by 365-173 electoral college and 10 million votes) this country would STILL be in 2 wars with an unimaginable more number of our military KILLED, probably even 3-4 wars with McCain's sabre rattling, the national debt would have created a complete collapse of our economy and been in the same condition as some of the other European governments. Conservatives had no ideas (and still don't) past their "trickle down tax cuts to create jobs" and war with any country that pisses them off. Torp, bubba, sweetheart ... the end of Reaganomic ideology has COME ... it's FAILED the majority of the people. The biggest concern is not that it happened, but that Republicans want to do exactly the same thing AGAIN, cut income taxes to create jobs. Geesh! What slow learners!

We continue rehashing this small section of HISTORY as if you still refuse to accept the events and who was ultimately responsible for them happening. Could Obama have done it more effectively and less expensively ... "Monday Morning quarterbacking has the advantage of hindsight" ... you can continue complaining of the national debt if you wish, but one thing is for sure, the Republicans haven't done one thing ... NOT ONE ... to try to fix it. In fact, with their filibustering, and stupid committees, and votes on ACA, they've done NOTHING but ADD TO the debt. So please, STFU on this; look at the state of the Republican party now, its in frik'n shambles ... it certainly wasn't caused by OBAMA, or democrats, or Tinker Bell, or aliens from space ... it was all SELF INFLICTED. And if you think its bad now, you wait until the American people have their SAY in November ... I can easily see the US getting back the Senate along with keeping the POTUS. And unless Republicans start changing their platform and obstruction, I can see them easily winning back the HOUSE in 2018.

Last edited:
You conservatives simply refuse to accept the state of the economy and magnitude of the recession when Obama took office. You act as if the "free falling economy" should have instantly stopped once Obama took office, and because it didn't, its his fault. Whether the strategies Obama had in mind would have slowed the free fall any sooner, we'll never know ... WHY, because Republicans automatically took up an obstructionist position with the President BEFORE he even had a chance to sit and discuss his ideas with them. You seem to deny that the Republicans obstructionist activities should have had ANY impact on the speed of the recovery. There's one thing for sure, HAD the Republicans not been so busy filibustering and blocking everything the President wanted to do an unprecedented number of times, the recovery would have happened a lot sooner. Instead, they did everything "intentionally" to try to make him and the liberals fail at the expense of the rest of the country ... and Republicans FAILED at that as well.
And the Democrats think if you throw enough money at a problem they can fix it. Just for the sake of argument what could have the president done to fix the economy? You endlessly rant about the Republicans obstructing, what did the Republicans obstruct?

I'm certainly getting TIRED of explaining this to you over and over and over; had the likes of John McCain and Sarah Palin gotten elected ( they were defeated by 365-173 electoral college and 10 million votes) this country would STILL be in 2 wars with an unimaginable more number of our military KILLED, probably even 3-4 wars with McCain's sabre rattling, the national debt would have created a complete collapse of our economy and been in the same condition as some of the other European governments. Conservatives had no ideas (and still don't) past their "trickle down tax cuts to create jobs" and war with any country that pisses them off. Torp, bubba, sweetheart ... the end of Reaganomic ideology has COME ... it's FAILED the majority of the people. The biggest concern is not that it happened, but that Republicans want to do exactly the same thing AGAIN, cut income taxes to create jobs. Geesh! What slow learners!
I am quite familiar with wars this country has been involved with. Vietnam lasted 19 years and cost over 50,000 lives most of the expansion of ground forces took place under Democratic administrations and it was a Republican that brought us home. So stop already with Republican are war mongers and Democrats are peace loving. How would a John McCain war have caused the economy to collapse? All the expansion in social programs have driven up the debt considerably more than any was has but we are still here at least for now. However I still maintain that the Crunch is going to happen between 2020 and 2025 regardless of who gets in the White House and controls congress. How about the "trickle up poverty" that has been going on for some time. You seem to be avoiding addressing that.

S

Most overrated POTUS: Kennedy
Most underrated POTUS: Nixon
I can tell you why I agree. Kennedy was a coward. At the Bay of Pigs he never authorized the air strikes that were promised. The planes sat on the carriers fueled and armed and never launched. The Cuban ground forces that landed never got the air support they were promised and they were left swinging in the wind. Without air support they were easily defeated. We all hear about how Kennedy stood up to the Soviet Union during the Cuban Missile Crisis. What they didn't tall us was that when the Soviets pulled their missiles out of Cuba we removed our missiles from Turkey seriously weakening our European defense.

Nixon got us out of Vietnam, He also opened up China. He didn't do anything during Watergate that hadn't been done in the past. The recording equipment that caused the stir had actually been installed during the Kennedy administration. The real reasons he resigned was first of all the media didn't like him, and both houses were controlled by the Democrats. If the media had liked him and he had their support impeachment was unlikely. if the Republicans had controlled either house he wouldn't have faced impeachment and thus ****** to resign.

How about the "trickle up poverty" that has been going on for some time. You seem to be avoiding addressing that.
I'm not avoiding it, Torp, but your understanding of 'trickle up poverty' is different than mine. I see what most people see, more and more middle-upper, and middle class individuals who are being drawn into the cesspool of the Supply-Side black hole. As more and more people lose their accumulated wealth, and begin struggling to survive, it leaves fewer and fewer people in which the wealthiest can use to maintain their own income, thus more and more people lose their "piece of the pie" as the wealthiest strive to maintain their own at the expense of everyone else. Surely you can't blame the mountain of tax codes on the efforts of government to help the poor. Those codes were written by the wealthiest, for the wealthiest. Nothing really complicated about the intent and purpose of those tax codes.

You see it, however, as the welfare being given to the poor, and the money taken from the wealthiest to support the poor as an infringement on the wealthy income citizen's right to retain what they have earned.

If we really wish to get into a discussion of waste and careless spending, lets at least include the Pentagon, who doesn't seem to have to track or account for their wasteful spendings. So far (as of 2012) our government can not account for over $8 TRILLION that have gone to the Pentagon, and no one seems to be making the effort to find out why. If you recall, the day before 9-11 happened, Donald Rumsfeld went on TV and was announcing the government's inability to account for over $2.3 trillion of the Pentagon. That story started to make big news until the next morning, then it got washed under the rug.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lloyd-chapman/government-sequestration-fiscal-abuse_b_2781884.html

Last edited:
I'm not avoiding it, Torp, but your understanding of 'trickle up poverty' is different than mine. I see what most people see, more and more middle-upper, and middle class individuals who are being drawn into the cesspool of the Supply-Side black hole. As more and more people lose their accumulated wealth, and begin struggling to survive, it leaves fewer and fewer people in which the wealthiest can use to maintain their own income, thus more and more people lose their "piece of the pie" as the wealthiest strive to maintain their own at the expense of everyone else. Surely you can't blame the mountain of tax codes on the efforts of government to help the poor. Those codes were written by the wealthiest, for the wealthiest. Nothing really complicated about the intent and purpose of those tax codes.
And I see a top heavy government ureaucracy that strangles growth

You conservatives simply refuse to accept the state of the economy and magnitude of the recession when Obama took office. You act as if the "free falling economy" should have instantly stopped once Obama took office, and because it didn't, its his fault. Whether the strategies Obama had in mind would have slowed the free fall any sooner, we'll never know ... WHY, because Republicans automatically took up an obstructionist position with the President BEFORE he even had a chance to sit and discuss his ideas with them. You seem to deny that the Republicans obstructionist activities should have had ANY impact on the speed of the recovery. There's one thing for sure, HAD the Republicans not been so busy filibustering and blocking everything the President wanted to do an unprecedented number of times, the recovery would have happened a lot sooner. Instead, they did everything "intentionally" to try to make him and the liberals fail at the expense of the rest of the country ... and Republicans FAILED at that as well
One seriously flawed concept that liberals seem to share is that big government is the solution when in reality it is generally the problem. Hell the Federal government can't even run a monopoly (USPS) at a profit

Hell the Federal government can't even run a monopoly (USPS) at a profit
How is the USPS a monopoly, Torp? They compete with UPS & FedEx, but are restricted to an entirely different set of rules than those competitors, plus they're Federal employees. FedEx and UPS have entered more modern forms of document management that the USPS hasn't (ie. FedEx Kinko). And, UPS & FedEx have swung deals with the USPS for "last mile" deliveries to rural more expensive route, (ie. FedEx SmartPost & UPS Mail Innovation). USPS is restricted to a flat rate across the country whereas FedEx and UPS aren't. And most importantly, thanks to Darrell Issa, they have to prefund their retirement plan 75 years into the future in a much shorter time period; I believe it was like 10 years. What other companies do you know that have to play by those rules? The USPS has a lot of unused buildings around the US; at last count it was over 150 vacant postal properties. I don't understand why they haven't unloaded some of those. Also, the USPS delivers billions (with a B) of mail to vacant properties, another major cost cutter.

I'd say our government (aka-Republicans) is simply trying to run USPS out of business is all.

Last edited:
Back