Iranian Nuclear treaty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say he wasn't strong just inept. The United States had no real foreign policy prior to Pearl Harbor. Yamamoto understood that and advised against attacking Pearl Harbor. He was convinced that the Japanese could do anything they wanted in Asia and the United States wouldn't interfere. He was probably quite right. However he was ordered to bomb Pearl Harbor because analysts in the Japanese military didn't think we could have a viable fleet in the Pacific until at least 1946. What I will give Roosevelt credit for he did come up speed on a foreign policy pretty quickly after Pearl Harbor. However his domestic policy wasn't working all that well. In December 1941 the unemployment rate was 16%. If the war hadn't come along I doubt he would have been a three term president.
Japan needed oil. Our blockade instigated the attack, i thought. The U.S. had blockaded Japan prior to the attack. And the New Deal actually proved to be the U.S.'s salvation. Nobody got freebies, contrary to what many might believe, and it actually worked, the people pulled together. It worked and U.S. is still better because of it.

And the U.S. didn't go after Hitler, rather Hitler (along with Mussolini) declared war on the U.S. following the war declaration against Japan, which was declared due in part to protect overseas assets. The attack on pearl Harbor simply served as the catalyst to persuade public opinion to get involved in another major overseas conflict (Similar to the effect 9-11 had, maybe).

Then again, i could definitely be wrong. I wasn't even born yet.

(also, STILL no offence intended...:))

Japan needed oil. Our blockade instigated the attack, i thought. The U.S. had blockaded Japan prior to the attack. And the New Deal actually proved to be the U.S.'s salvation. Nobody got freebies, contrary to what many might believe, and it actually worked, the people pulled together. It worked and U.S. is still better because of it.
If it worked so good why the the unemployment rate at 16% in December of 1941

I don't recall any blockade being in place prior to the Pearl Harbor attack. Prior to the war Japan purchased about 80% of it's oil from the United States and there was an embargo in place because of Japan's action in Asia. The ******* of Nanking was one of many reasons for the embargo. Japan petitioned to have the embargo lifted and one of Roosevelt's conditions was that they exit China. They choose not to do that and looked at the Pacific holding of the Dutch as a source oil and rubber. In 1937 the sinking of the USS Panay and other incidents that went unanswered that lead to the belief in Japan that the United States didn't have the will to fight.

Last edited:
this topic seems to have got onto USA being dragged into world war 2 what has it got to do directly with Iran?
or are you suggesting that the oxymoron of "american Intelligence" is screwing up again

this topic seems to have got onto USA being dragged into world war 2 what has it got to do directly with Iran?
or are you suggesting that the oxymoron of "american Intelligence" is screwing up again
It appears that the discussion is using US and Japan in WWII as an indicator of what can happen to the Mideast/US and IRAN. Not sure if there are similar situations.
But the world is more dangerous not going the diplomatic route then just buying into the warmongering jingoists. We did that with Bush 43, and see where it's gotten us and the whole Mideast. OSP

If it worked so good why the the unemployment rate at 16% in December of 1941

I don't recall any blockade being in place prior to the Pearl Harbor attack. Prior to the war Japan purchased about 80% of it's oil from the United States and there was an embargo in place because of Japan's action in Asia. The ******* of Nanking was one of many reasons for the embargo. Japan petitioned to have the embargo lifted and one of Roosevelt's conditions was that they exit China. They choose not to do that and looked at the Pacific holding of the Dutch as a source oil and rubber. In 1937 the sinking of the USS Panay and other incidents that went unanswered that lead to the belief in Japan that the United States didn't have the will to fight.
word_touche-jpg.620943
, hope it's okay to use this, Mac, lols.

ok dummy you do know that there are a lot of Persian Americans and Persian Canadians out there, right? Geeez, why is everything with you so scared and negative?

I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm not an American. Having said that may I offer a comment as seen by an outsider.

Wasn't it a Mr. Mitch McConnell, Senator, and Republican, who said on the very day that Mr. Obama was elected President of the United States, and I quote as best I can remember, "It's now our duty to ensure that Mr. Obama is a one term President!" I recall saying to my wife, "OMG! It's all about who sits on the top of the nest and screw the country and the rest of the world!"

I don't think that anyone anywhere, even those with a minimal amount of common sense, regardless of race, colour, or creed, can dispute the fact the the Republicans have certianly exerted 110% of their effort and resources to that end. The interest of their country took far less than a second seat! Worse still, it is abundantly evident, and as history recorded, the Republicans have gone far beyond anything one could, or should consider within bounds to discredit not only his policies but the man himself! If they had spent just a fraction of those resources and energies for the betterment of the country, for which they were elected to do, what a great place this entire world would be! But alas, I'm naive, after all it's best it be about politics not people. Oh, yes! Companies are people in the United States, right? And yes, they have billions to invest in campaigns "legally" to attempt to unduly influence the outcome of elections. This was bought about by a U.S. Supreme Court Decision in 2010. Most people outside the U.S. who have even the slightest inkling of political knowledge, believe this decision to be an abomination of the "One man, one vote" philosophy upon which freedom of the individual is based.

In closing, there is nothing that President Obama has done, currently doing, or will attempt to do in the future, will ever satisfy Republicans. We honestly, with a lot of historical facts to support it, believe that the Republicans would much sooner see a war with Iran than attempt a Political Solution! Sadly that's the Republican Way & Policy! If you can't destroy the presidents policies, attempt to destroy his character!

It's really sad ... at least as we non-Americans see it anyway! I'd suggest to Torpedo "Go get your facts straight or go torpedo yourself, not your fellow countrymen and the many others who are not!" The U.S. POLICY against Cuba has never worked after over 50 years of imposing sanctions. Sanctions against Iran hasn't worked after over 40 years since being imposed! It's about time for someone in power in the U.S. to muster some courage and do something about it! Obama, in the eyes of 99.9% of the outside world at least, has at least shown he's willing to try to change things. It's no revelation that the Republicans condemned both actions, long before they even knew what was to be in any formal agreement! Enough said!

Last edited:
..... Enough said!
Actually you haven't said enough, but you did good. I apologize if you end up getting lumped in with me, however; I'm a rather popular punching bag for the Party of NO. :)
Thing is, the Republicans use to be a rather respected party, but now they're fractured with no real platform other than enriching themselves at the expense of everyone else under the disguise of Reagan's "Trickle Down". We've simply got to get "big money" out of politics; eliminating the electoral vote would be a big plus as well. Mac

Last edited:
Something interesting to know when we like talking about the peaceful United States of America. And we wonder why a lot of the world hates us?

View attachment 621424

View attachment 621425

Mexican American War was 1846 to 1848.

The US was only involved in WWI from April 1917 to its conclusion in November 1918.

Further, the Cold War wasn't a shooting war, as I'm sure you learned in your 11th grade US History II class, so to characterize that whole time as a war ( beside the fact that the Soviet Union ceased to exist on December 25, 1991, so even that end date is incorrect) is erroneous. Also, the operations in the 1990's with US military involvement was part of UN and NATO coalitions to enforce the terms of the peace from the Gulf War and to protect the lives of Bosnians and Kosovar Albanians, so once again, deeming those as wars strains the definition of exactly what a war is.

A deal is better than no deal Iran will continue to build up its nuclear capability regardless who's in the white
house. It's inevitable.

I'm sure the "a deal is better than no deal" sentiment was comforting to the people of Czechoslovakia when Britain and France decided to cave in to Hitler in 1938. But of course when this deal proves to be a failure liberals will just fall back on the familiar "it's Bush's fault."

Actually you haven't said enough, but you did good. I apologize if you end up getting lumped in with me, however; I'm a rather popular punching bag for the Party of NO. :)
Thing is, the Republicans use to be a rather respected party, but now they're fractured with no real platform other than enriching themselves at the expense of everyone else under the disguise of Reagan's "Trickle Down". We've simply got to get "big money" out of politics; eliminating the electoral vote would be a big plus as well. Mac
You seem to be under the impression that the Democratic party doesn't have any connection to big money. You really should look into that

One of the things that the liberals like to squawk about is "Trickle Down" economics. One program the liberals have done an excellent job with is "Trickle Up" poverty. Black Americans haven't done so well the last 8 years or so. It doesn't seem that wages are making much gain on inflation.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I'm not an American. Having said that may I offer a comment as seen by an outsider.

Wasn't it a Mr. Mitch McConnell, Senator, and Republican, who said on the very day that Mr. Obama was elected President of the United States, and I quote as best I can remember, "It's now our duty to ensure that Mr. Obama is a one term President!" I recall saying to my wife, "OMG! It's all about who sits on the top of the nest and screw the country and the rest of the world!"

I don't think that anyone anywhere, even those with a minimal amount of common sense, regardless of race, colour, or creed, can dispute the fact the the Republicans have certianly exerted 110% of their effort and resources to that end. The interest of their country took far less than a second seat! Worse still, it is abundantly evident, and as history recorded, the Republicans have gone far beyond anything one could, or should consider within bounds to discredit not only his policies but the man himself! If they had spent just a fraction of those resources and energies for the betterment of the country, for which they were elected to do, what a great place this entire world would be! But alas, I'm naive, after all it's best it be about politics not people. Oh, yes! Companies are people in the United States, right? And yes, they have billions to invest in campaigns "legally" to attempt to unduly influence the outcome of elections. This was bought about by a U.S. Supreme Court Decision in 2010. Most people outside the U.S. who have even the slightest inkling of political knowledge, believe this decision to be an abomination of the "One man, one vote" philosophy upon which freedom of the individual is based.

In closing, there is nothing that President Obama has done, currently doing, or will attempt to do in the future, will ever satisfy Republicans. We honestly, with a lot of historical facts to support it, believe that the Republicans would much sooner see a war with Iran than attempt a Political Solution! Sadly that's the Republican Way & Policy! If you can't destroy the presidents policies, attempt to destroy his character!

It's really sad ... at least as we non-Americans see it anyway! I'd suggest to Torpedo "Go get your facts straight or go torpedo yourself, not your fellow countrymen and the many others who are not!" The U.S. POLICY against Cuba has never worked after over 50 years of imposing sanctions. Sanctions against Iran hasn't worked after over 40 years since being imposed! It's about time for someone in power in the U.S. to muster some courage and do something about it! Obama, in the eyes of 99.9% of the outside world at least, has at least shown he's willing to try to change things. It's no revelation that the Republicans condemned both actions, long before they even knew what was to be in any formal agreement! Enough said!
Regardless of who gets in the White house the other party is going to try to make them a one term president. McConnell's comments are hardly noteworthy.

Barack Obama never has made much of an effort to work with anyone that wasn't in agreement with him. The deeply flawed ACA was rammed through and instead of working with the Republican party he hoisted the bird at them and said that this was the way it was going to be. He came into office prepared to be king not president. The Democrats didn't do well in the mid terms and most of the blame for that lies squarely with Obama. As I recall during the mid terms there weren't a lot of Democrats that were asking Obama to stump for them.

The treaty with Iran is a joke. I expect that they will have a bomb within a year or less. Nothing is more dangerous than a religious fanatic on a mission from God or Allah, especially if they have nuclear capability. Appeasement doesn't work, in 1938 Neville Chamberlain negotiated a treaty with Adolf Hitler. In a speech he said he had "achieved peace for our time". We all know how that turned out.

I never considered Cuba that big of a deal. Fidel Castro did get the last laugh though. He outlasted everybody even the Soviet Union. I would consider Nixon's opening dialogue with China a much more significant achievement.

As to "facts straight" I have spent the majority of my life getting the facts straight, so if there are some facts that I don't have straight I would be interested in hearing them and correcting my errors

History has a tendency to repeat itself. Having a thorough understanding of what happened in the past and why it happened is vitally important to choosing a course of action in the present and the future.

Mac does like to to rant about "trickle down" economics. His argument is that all it did was make the rich richer. If that is the case then the current administration is practicing trickle down economics they just aren't calling it that. The wealth gap has increased faster in the last few years than it ever has. Middle class income is flat and in some areas of the country it has decreased. Home ownership had decreased, sales have been slowly declining for some time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back