How to celebrate MLK day

Ha, you gotta be kidding me! I'm not asking for any sympathy, syscom ... I work because I choose to work. My employer provides me an option to take that Monday off with pay, if I so choose, but I don't. But, there's probably no one in this forum that stands up for minority rights any more than me. My wife and I stood for 2 hours in a line to vote, in 2014, because one party chose to tinker with the voting rights. Did you even VOTE in the 2014 elections?

Possibly you should take Monday off and go see the movie Selma ... see the price a lot of people paid for the rights of the underprivileged ... then look at the 2014 voting results that showed that the US had the lowest voter turn-out in over 72 years in this country. Even Mitt Romney has decided to run for the POTUS again after 2 ass kickings because he sees voter suppression giving him a chance in 2016.

How many times have you written your congressman or local paper expressing your views regarding "rights" ... I wrote my congressman 3 times last year, wrote 2 editorials and 6 comments to our local paper's editorial pages.
What have you done? So, before you start chastising me, you should ask yourself what you really have done to honor MLK other than complain about one's decision to work or not on MLK day. ;) Mac
View attachment 492246
Read this ...
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-debate-reignites-heading-mlk-holiday-n287171
Ive been voting continuously since 1978, the first year I could lawfully excersize my right to do it. I missed one election, and it was an off cycle inconsequential school board event.

Can you match that?

How come you folks out east always have voting issues? Why is that? Even in districts dominated by liberals and progressives?

As for writing my local politician? All the time. I was doing that before you were even born. I also tend to showup to their open events for Q and A.

As for Selma? I know the story. I also hold myself to high standards and refuse to support falsities.

By the way; my first ever election, I cast a ballot for a state representative. He was black. I was living in a district that was 95% white. And he won.

If there is anything you need clarification on, just ask.

April 1968.

I was in 2nd grade.

I remember the day MLK was killed. Our whole school was brought into the gym for a talk by our principal.

Teachers were ashen faced and some crying.

I was too young to understand what was happening but knew a momentous event happened.

Part of the process of my discovering my interest in history.

Ha, you gotta be kidding me! I'm not asking for any sympathy, syscom ... I work because I choose to work. My employer provides me an option to take that Monday off with pay, if I so choose, but I don't. But, there's probably no one in this forum that stands up for minority rights any more than me. My wife and I stood for 2 hours in a line to vote, in 2014, because one party chose to tinker with the voting rights. Did you even VOTE in the 2014 elections?

Possibly you should take Monday off and go see the movie Selma ... see the price a lot of people paid for the rights of the underprivileged ... then look at the 2014 voting results that showed that the US had the lowest voter turn-out in over 72 years in this country. Even Mitt Romney has decided to run for the POTUS again after 2 ass kickings because he sees voter suppression giving him a chance in 2016.

How many times have you written your congressman or local paper expressing your views regarding "rights" ... I wrote my congressman 3 times last year, wrote 2 editorials and 6 comments to our local paper's editorial pages.
What have you done? So, before you start chastising me, you should ask yourself what you really have done to honor MLK other than complain about one's decision to work or not on MLK day. ;) Mac
View attachment 492246
Read this ...
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-debate-reignites-heading-mlk-holiday-n287171

Boy do you have me fucking riled up.

1980 election; Carter vs Reagan. My defining year for political identity.

1984 election. Mondale vs Reagan.

I make no apologies in the political choices in my life. I followed my conscience and never allowed race to interfere in my choices.

And I still do.

Ive been voting continuously since 1978, the first year I could lawfully excersize my right to do it ....
Can you match that?
I can certainly match the consistency, and imagine I'll match the number as I become an old, grouchy codger like you.;)
How come you folks out east always have voting issues? Why is that? Even in districts dominated by liberals and progressives?
Probably has something to do with party control over valued voting states, electorial votes, and concentration of minority votes.
As for writing my local politician? All the time. I was doing that before you were even born. I also tend to showup to their open events for Q and A.
Good for you, so do I, and it appears I'll be showing up at a lot more of them in the future.
As for Selma? I know the story. I also hold myself to high standards and refuse to support falsities.
Well, I'm not so sure, after all, you did credit LBJ with creating the Civil Rights Act.
By the way; my first ever election, I cast a ballot for a state representative. He was black. I was living in a district that was 95% white. And he won.
What does this comment have to do with the thread? Why would anyone care how you voted?
If there is anything you need clarification on, just ask.
Still waiting on your reasons why the Selma movie is not worth seeing. You said it was filled with lies ... have you SEEN the movie, or are you simply responding as to what you read ... pic_question-WHWW.jpg

Last edited:
Boy do you have me fucking riled up.

Good, then I've done my job ... in sales, they say you can't establish a sale unless you either excite your clients, or disturb your clients ... I may have done both with you.
Chastising me with that response "wrong answer" simply because I said I was going to work on MLK; was it worth it? gif_Yellowball-rollingEyes2.gif

Hmm, I was hoping for some more entertaining replies regarding how people had promoted racial harmony.

I don't want to butt in where I'm not wanted but I'm pretty sure all us white folks just being on this site promotes racial harmony. Lol. And I'm interested in any post where someone is giving "Mac n fries" hell just because he's always been such an ass to so many on here and probably a big reason it dosent grow. I know I didn't log into it for more than a year because of him & a few others. I know he's going to respond to this but I've long since clicked the ignore button on him so i won't be seeing it.

LBJ did not set up the civil rights act. after the assassination of JFK, LBJ took that opportunity to pass the civil rights act in order to ensure the black vote for the democrat party and lo and behold he succeeded. the civil rights act was actually drafted by dwight d. eisenhower. and history tells us it was passed into law by a republican congress. LBJ was an opportunist and good for him for doing so, him taking sole credit for this on behalf of all people all color did set us "free" but ensured that we were enslaved for the rest of our lives. history tells us this not emotion and hatred for white people.

LBJ was a Colorful in your face upfront savvy politician because he was in Congress for a very long time before he was sworn into office as President.

May not liked him or his politics but for that period in time it was effective a lot Civil Liberties you enjoy today is because of MLK and LBJ

..... the civil rights act was actually drafted by dwight d. eisenhower. and history tells us it was passed into law by a republican congress.

Actually Dan, several Civil Rights Acts were drafted and never approved prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. There was the Civil Rights Act of 1866, the Civil Rights Act of 1875, and the Civil Rights Act of 1957, that you refer to ... however, each had major pieces missing from them that were included in the Civil Rights Act of 1965. Robert Kennedy, who was serving as the Attorney General to his brother John F Kennedy, was responsible for the final draft that became law.
And as they often say ... pic_ThatsAFactJack.jpg GIF_GrouchoMarx.gif

The director was Oprah, and you won't get the truth from her. Not a real black person
@Orion Pax - thats pretty funny bro but i hope your just being sarcastic.

LBJ did not set up the civil rights act. after the assassination of JFK, LBJ took that opportunity to pass the civil rights act in order to ensure the black vote for the democrat party and lo and behold he succeeded. the civil rights act was actually drafted by dwight d. eisenhower. and history tells us it was passed into law by a republican congress. LBJ was an opportunist and good for him for doing so, him taking sole credit for this on behalf of all people all color did set us "free" but ensured that we were enslaved for the rest of our lives. history tells us this not emotion and hatred for white people.
LBJ was a Colorful in your face upfront savvy politician because he was in Congress for a very long time before he was sworn into office as President.

May not liked him or his politics but for that period in time it was effective a lot Civil Liberties you enjoy today is because of MLK and LBJ
@Dan Teal, @blkmale80; great posts bruahs, I agree with both of those well versed statements (on the LBJ parts).

Actually Dan, several Civil Rights Acts were drafted and never approved prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. There was the Civil Rights Act of 1866, the Civil Rights Act of 1875, and the Civil Rights Act of 1957, that you refer to ... however, each had major pieces missing from them that were included in the Civil Rights Act of 1965. Robert Kennedy, who was serving as the Attorney General to his brother John F Kennedy, was responsible for the final draft that became law.
And as they often say ... View attachment 493389 View attachment 493391
@MacNfries - Mac man is like Detective Joe Friday - "Just the facts, ma'am, man." I can dig it.

Well I actually slipped in 2hrs of time in between working out and then playing with a new couple on MLK day Monday to go see Selma just because of the controversy around it I had to go see it for myself. Thanks to @syscom3 for motivating me to get off my ass and go check it out to see just how bad it was.

I thought the movie was superb beyond me not immediately identifying with the actor who portrayed MLK. I thought at first when it started oh how boring this movie is going to be but then "BOOM" the whole movie theater jumped out their seats and that woke everyone up who may have started to fall asleep like me.

The story was very powerful and gripping with the Director Ava DuVernay (not Oprah) doing a fantastic job with the cinematography, costumes, and scenery to convincingly place the audience back in that time period. You felt you were in the middle of thr struggle in Selma with the closeness of the cameras always in the center of MLK and his SLCC cohorts debating on what to do next. Oprah had maybe 3 scenes and no big speaking roles and was just a back drop in the film.

I didn't know much about the story that took place at the bridge and this really shook me to tears uncontrollably falling from my eyes. I also enjoyed how the movie covered the thinking and organizing process of MLK which is something I never really looked at before. I thought the movie did a fantastic job showing how his tactics were so effective in getting the results that caused the huge changes we all reap today. He was a cold-calculator anticipating the moves of his opponents like a Grandmaster Chess-player. I loved that.

Now on to the big controversy - LBJ. I didn't see anything wrong with how LBJ was portrayed in the film. I thought it was fair to him in that he always gave MLK a warm welcome to the Oval office and there was never any hostility, yet LBJ made it clear to MLK that he had another agenda and he wanted MLK to lead the civil rights movement and not to let the black militant radicals hijack the cause. I thought that was probably accurate of how it actually went down. And as @MacNfries had pointed out earlier, LBJ touted his war on poverty program and told MLK that was a higher priority for him than on enforcing voter rights which was left up to the states.

This dynamic portrayal of the two characters was important for the context, set-up, conflict, and drama of the film and it worked. It was also fair to LBJ in that it showed how he challenged Alamaba Governor George Wallace and those scenes actually got some of the loudest laughs from the movie attenders than any other scenes in the movie. Ol' Gov Wallace tried to talk slick with Pres LBJ but LBJ checked his ass.

The film got 2 thumbs up from me, I enjoyed it and I would go see it again. My brother saw it on the same day with his wife and told me it was "alright" and that he didn't like the actor that played MLK much either, but the actress who played Correta Scott King was a great supporting role along with President LBJ actor, Gov. George Wallace, and the young guy who played John Lewis.

Every American needs to see that movie and be reminded of what so many Blacks, and whites who they showed in the film also were beaten, murdered, and killed by other racist whites, and the KKK. So it didn't leave out the many white people who sacrificed their lives to help the cause.

I think this puts a nail on this topic - the way to have spent MLK day was go see Selma and go fuck a BlackBull, or some white pussy for racial harmony which is exactly what I did that day. There you have it.

iakovos_martin_luther_king_jr.jpg

Oh yeah and @syscom3 - that Jewish Rabbi was in the movie too. It didn't miss much but yet people always have criticisms. You can't never please everybody but the people who said to boycott the film are treasonists to what everyone in Selma sacrificed their lives for to move the needle forward in making this country live up to its tenets in the Constitution which all they ever asked for with peaceful protests and were met with such atrocious violence. The people who have said to boycott the film are saying to ignore the injury and injustice that was done all over again. They are literally missing the BIG PICTURE.

In memory of MLK and the others who died in Selma- may they all R.I.P. and nay-sayers of the film may they rot in hell.

~BBB76

Last edited:
Back