Covid 19

Filtering efficacy of masks is a far more complicated topic than your simplistic commentary would indicate. These aren't simple "fishing nets" only capturing items larger than the holes in the net. The 0.3 µm rating y@ou mention is typical for n95 masks. This 0.3 µm rating is actually the worst point in the filtration efficiency vs particle size curve. They are more efficient filters at particle sizes both larger and smaller than 0.3 µm. Larger particles tend to get trapped by impaction/interception....i.e. the fish can't fit through the net. Smaller particles tend to exhibit Brownian motion making them more likely to impact the filter fibers. There's typically layer(s) of a spun polymer as well which develop electrostatic charges prone to attract the smaller particulates. 0.3 µm is the low point between these filtering processes.

Here's a typical filtration efficiency plot:

View attachment 3802076

Now a cloth mask certainly is not normally as effective as an n95 mask. How effective a particular cloth mask is depends on lots of factors. The best versions use three or four layers of fabric with combinations of both a cotton cloth for bulk filtration and tightly woven polymer cloth to filter the smaller particles. That finely woven polyester shirt you have which has horrible static electricity will make a great layer for your homemade mask ;)

Also very pertinent is the fact we're not generally needing to filter individual SARS-CoV-2 virions. They leave an infectious person within a respiratory droplet or aerosol. Droplets are relatively speaking huge...over 5 µm. To any halfway decent mask, a droplet is like trying to get a basketball through the net...with the net tied closed at the bottom. Aerosols are smaller but still trapped at a high efficiency by a decent mask worn properly. Aerosols are more problematic as they can float around in the air for extended periods/distances. So next time you see some dipshit at the grocery store wearing their mask as a chin diaper stay way the hell away from him!
@hoping hubby, I would like to start off first thanking you for your reply and input.
By reading your text I am sure you are that of the minority usage and know the importance filters and a N95 mask. This thread, I would hope it helps those who don't know the importance of filters and just having a clean mask on. Example; In a typical day, I would certainly see 1 out 20 people ( test observation taken on a military base and office space) total 105 had a n95 mask on. I am sure in the public area this number would be larger. So the disposable and the homemade masks, I wonder how many people actually throw them away or truly know the filtration level of them.

@hoping hubby, I would like to start off first thanking you for your reply and input.
By reading your text I am sure you are that of the minority usage and know the importance filters and a N95 mask. This thread, I would hope it helps those who don't know the importance of filters and just having a clean mask on. Example; In a typical day, I would certainly see 1 out 20 people ( test observation taken on a military base and office space) total 105 had a n95 mask on. I am sure in the public area this number would be larger. So the disposable and the homemade masks, I wonder how many people actually throw them away or truly know the filtration level of them.
Most people wearing a N95 mask as an barrier against SAR's Covid 2 are doing nothing more than wasting money. Not all 95's are created equal and given that most of the value of these masks is not to protect the wearer but to protect others from a potentially contagious asymptomatic wearer, those one-way valves make the masks practically useless for protecting others,” “So all those potentially contagious people are spewing unfettered large respiratory droplets, probably even in a concentrated stream going through the valves.”

N95's with exhalation valves, instead of blocking particles that could spread COVID-19, actually allow the wearer’s germs to spread, according to health experts. Their ability to release large respiratory droplets in the air is worrying because "Any mask that incorporates a one-way valve (typically a raised plastic cylinder about the size of a quarter on the front or side of the mask) that is designed to facilitate easy exhaling allows droplets to be released from the mask, putting others nearby at risk,".

1608663474131.png

No one should use or buy an N95 or even a KN95 without searching what type of N95 they are buying. For example the one below are not fitted with an exhalation valve. Are a one use and can reasonably be expected to provid up to 95% level of protection against particles if certified for that purpose.

1608680455002.png

These on the other hand offer zero protection

1608662519861.png
CBRNE levels of protection are out of the reach of a lot of people, especially those that are used in any installations of that nature or those whose detection systems are required to be purposed to that threat. That said, the general public can buy full face respirators with the correct canisters or filters to be protected. But is it a practicle solution.

1608663418040.png

One of the biggest problems is that the general publics lack of protocols in using, handling, and cleaning any none valved mask they use. One off should be thrown immediately after use, where as those designed for multiple uses have to under go the correct cleansing and disinfecting methods. Unfortunately many have no interest in doing so, or find it a long winded way to do things.

One of the better examples of how and what to look for in choosing a mask, cleaning . Again its important to note. Not all masks are created equal, nor offer the same protection.

CDC recommends that people wear masks in public settings, like on public and mass transportation, at events and gatherings, and anywhere they will be around other people.

1608664603784.png

Attachments

• 1608662222585.png
    1608662222585.png
    560.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1608664422982.png
    1608664422982.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1608664538893.png
    1608664538893.png
    936 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Great start to a great conversation! People would soon know the importance of filters and the different levels of protection. Now we can all come to the table and agree the covid is an airborne virus. Any contamination can be detected or captured by handheld or wall mounted devices. With a virus the size of 0.1 µm, passing through walls, windows and cars wouldn't be no problem. Question: Do you wear you mask in your homes, when you sleep, or in the bathtub? If no, the why not? Is it safe to assume the everyone lives in a vacuum sealed house? Is the air around your bed chemically filtered? These are just Questions, I would like to apply to what we are told.

Great start to a great conversation! People would soon know the importance of filters and the different levels of protection. Now we can all come to the table and agree the covid is an airborne virus. Any contamination can be detected or captured by handheld or wall mounted devices. With a virus the size of 0.1 µm, passing through walls, windows and cars wouldn't be no problem. Question: Do you wear you mask in your homes, when you sleep, or in the bathtub? If no, the why not? Is it safe to assume the everyone lives in a vacuum sealed house? Is the air around your bed chemically filtered? These are just Questions, I would like to apply to what we are told.
If you're worried the virus is sneaking through your windows to come get you, isolated in your own house, I'd suggest a different level of mask may be appropriate for you...

1608668441928.png

Sitting at the table with like minded adults, I would look at this as a tongue and cheek sense of humour. Really I don't see covid (airborne virus) as a cat burglar or peeping Tom. Sitting outside someone's house waiting for a moment to enter. It would be a shame to ask a question that would make sense. It would be safe to assume you follow the arrows on the floor too? Airborne is exactly what it means airborne. It doesn't take time out or no longer exist when you sit down. So while you have a N95 mask, I am sure that has been fitted to your face. Lastly if you follow the manufacturer instructions. Is you mask properly stowed? In rotation? Spare filters? Seals checked? If not please not their are not liable if you catch covid-19 with a 99.99% recovery rate. " The plastic bubble is worse to live in😄

Last edited:
Sitting at the table with like minded adults, I would look at this as a tongue and cheek sense of humour. Really I don't see covid (airborne virus) as a cat burglar or peeping Tom. Sitting outside someone's house waiting for a moment to enter. It would be a shame to ask a question that would make sense. It would be safe to assume you follow the arrows on the floor too? Airborne is exactly what it means airborne. It doesn't take time out or no longer exist when you sit down. So while you have a N95 mask, I am sure that has been fitted to your face. Lastly if you follow the manufacturer instructions. Is you mask properly stowed? In rotation? Spare filters? Seals checked? If not please not their are not liable if you catch covid-19 with a 99.99% recovery rate. " The plastic bubble is worse to live in😄
I should have known not to try having an intelligent discussion based on the ignorance of mask filtering efficacy demonstrated in your first post. I'm certainly not living in any plastic bubble.

Please stop spewing lies like covid-19 having a 99.99% recovery rate. People like you spewing that crap are killing people because it feeds the "intellect" of idiots wearing chin diapers or no mask at all out around others. My uncle died thanks to F-wads not taking this seriously.

Covid-19 has already killed 0.02% of the world population and is a long ways from being over. The worldwide death rate for covid cases which have reached conclusion is 3.13%

Please note if you throw a stone first, cover your glass jaw. You should have seen the warning, " check your feelings in at the door. " Also take notice, I told you my make up and you can see where I am located. If you haven't been outside of the country and you are a certified wack-a-mole 2018 & 2019 champion. Please what can YOU, personally say about the world? The first part of any intelligent conversation, is show common curtesy to the person sitting across from you. I should have thrown the flag on you when you copied and paste and not from memory. Lastly of course people died this not something new? There are people who live on the streets with compromised immune system. So the Homeless population should be decreasing, right? Again thanks for the laugh, and hopefully you will post a picture with you and you pets with N95 masks on.

Question: Do you wear you mask in your homes, when you sleep, or in the bathtub? If no, the why not? Is it safe to assume the everyone lives in a vacuum sealed house? Is the air around your bed chemically filtered?

The short answer is its not really necessary to wear a mask indoors. Unless you are with others who are a possible source of risk to you or family.

The longer answer is again no. But for the far more important reason of ventilation.

SAR's Covid 2 as is well documented is an airborne pathegon, Its this pathegon that causes Covid19 and its related problems ,and is the reason as to why so many people catch it at home. That, and the lack of ventilation. More specificaly 'AIRFLOW'. Smaller respiratory droplets known as aerosols can linger in the air for several hours, increasing the odds of airborne coronavirus transmission.

No two indoor spaces are the same when it comes to ventilation. Some, like airplanes and hospitals, tend to have advanced ventilation systems that can quickly filter out potentially dangerous air. Others are bound to have less sophisticated ventilation systems, making coronavirus spread more likely.

Just being six feet away from somebody doesn't necessarily mean that you're protected from these small particles. And depending on the quality of the mask you're wearing, how well you're wearing it, and how well it fits, these particles can also get out and around masks as well.

5 tips for ventilation to reduce COVID risk at home and work​

Open windows and doors, use fans, and set your aircon to pull fresh air from outside.

As many of us return to the office, and congregate indoors over dinner and drinks during the summer holidays, we need to think about ventilation to minimise the indoor spread of COVID-19.

SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID, is spread mostly by larger particles called droplets, but also by smaller particles called aerosols, and by touch from contaminated surfaces.

Aerosol particles are lighter than droplet-sized particles, and can be suspended in the air for longer. The suspension and therefore transmission of aerosols is facilitated by poor ventilation. Increasing ventilation indoors, with fresh outdoor air, is a key method of dispersing viral particles. Ventilation can reduce the risk that just one COVID-positive person (who might not yet know they’re infectious) will infect others.
There are some simple measures you can take, both at home and at work, to improve ventilation over the holiday period and beyond.

1. Open windows and doors​

The best strategy at home and at work is simply to open windows and doors.
If you’re having friends and family over for a meal, or your office Christmas party, consider moving tables and chairs closer to open windows and open up a door to create a through breeze. Or, if weather permits, eat outside.

2. Set your air conditioner to pull fresh air from outside​

Air conditioners can help, but they must be on the right setting.
At work or home you don’t want to recirculate indoor air, as this just fans the same air around the room (but now colder or warmer).
Instead, always make sure your air conditioner is set to bring in 100% fresh air from outside. There are settings in offices that allow the system to increase air change per hour, meaning it can reduce the time it takes for all the air inside the room to be completely replaced with outside fresh air.
A person using a remote for their air conditioner

Aircons can help ventilate rooms, but only if they’re inserting fresh air from outside, rather than recirculating indoor air. Shutterstock
But the direction of the airflow is also important. For example, airflow from an air conditioner (that was recirculating air rather than pulling it from outside) was implicated in spreading the virus to a number of diners at tables downstream in a restaurant in China.

Offices welcoming back staff should prepare their air conditioners by having their engineers service the system to pull in fresh air faster than the pre-COVID setting (which may have been around 40 litres per second per person) at no less than 60 litres per second, per person.
In hospitals, aged-care facilities and hotel quarantine, qualified engineers should be brought in to assess the adequacy of the air conditioner’s airflow.

This is particularly crucial for any “hot zones” accommodating people who are COVID-positive.
The World Health Organisation recommends hot zones have 12 airflow changes per hour (that’s 80 litres per second per person), meaning the air is totally replaced 12 times every 60 minutes. This is the gold standard for ventilation, and can be very hard to achieve in many buildings.

3. Use fans​

Guidelines released last week by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend placing fans near open windows to enhance airflow. The recommendation is to keep fans on at all times when a room is occupied, for example at restaurants.
As with aircons, fans can be dangerous if they push the air directly from one person to another, and one is infectious. You should place the fan so it increases the flow of fresh air into the room, and shouldn’t be placed so the air moves from the room towards the open window or open door.

4. Don’t bother with HEPA filters at home​

High-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters have been marketed as a way to reduce the concentration of SARS-CoV-2 particles in the air.
Their effectiveness is dependent on the airflow capacity of the unit, the configuration of the room, the number of people in the room, and the position of the filter in the room.
But there’s no evidence to suggest a portable HEPA filter unit will help in your home. So don’t rush out and buy one for Christmas.
They may be effective in some areas of health care, such as a COVID ward in a hospital or in aged care homes, particularly when used in negative-pressure rooms. The combination of the HEPA filter and negative air pressure reduces the risk of aerosol particles escaping into the corridor.

5. In public transport, taxis and Ubers​

COVID outbreaks have been traced back to exposure on public transport. For example, a young man in Hunan Province, China, travelled on two buses and infected multiple people who were sitting in different areas of the buses. A study of this cluster was carried out by Chinese researchers, who put forward one theory regarding air flow:
The closed windows with running ventilation on the buses could have created an ideal environment for aerosol transmission […] the ventilation inlets were aligned above the windows on both sides, and the exhaust fan was in the front, possibly creating an airflow carrying aerosols containing the viral particles from the rear to the middle and front of the vehicle.

Please note that even though it is mentioned in the indoor air homes article (HEPA) filters are now recognised as having limited use against the pathegon qua ventilation of spaces.

Long story short. If you/I/we have adequate ventilation in our homes at all times, chances in combination with our cleansing habit, sterilation and limited numbered contacts will help reduce the chance of any infection. I say reduce as nothing is certain and nothing is a sureity.

Please note if you throw a stone first, cover your glass jaw. You should have seen the warning, " check your feelings in at the door. " Also take notice, I told you my make up and you can see where I am located. If you haven't been outside of the country and you are a certified wack-a-mole 2018 & 2019 champion. Please what can YOU, personally say about the world? The first part of any intelligent conversation, is show common curtesy to the person sitting across from you. I should have thrown the flag on you when you copied and paste and not from memory. Lastly of course people died this not something new? There are people who live on the streets with compromised immune system. So the Homeless population should be decreasing, right? Again thanks for the laugh, and hopefully you will post a picture with you and you pets with N95 masks on.
?

N95 with valve, without valve. Which N95 type are you advocating? as one is totaly unsuitable for use against the Sar's Cov2.

I have neither a glass jaw here nor feelings to check....couldn't possibly give less of a fuck about you or anyone else on an interracial porn site. So sorry if you didn't like me calling you out on your lies :rolleyes:

The reason why N95 valve masks are useless against SAR's Cov2.

View attachment 3802761
True, the valve style N95's don't do a great job of limiting the outgoing spread of the virus from an infectious person. They've been banned by many airlines for passengers, and rightly so. Calling them "useless" is a bit extreme. They do a pretty good job of protecting the wearer from inhaling the virus. They also tend to direct the exhaled air and any respiratory aerosols/droplets downward, as seen in this picture which can reduce exposure if you're standing face to face talking with someone.

And in other news.

SAR's Cov2 outbreak tracked to Brasil and US Months before it appeared in the UK and the rest of the world

By Aristos Georgiou On 12/21/20 at 1:05 PM EST

Health Coronavirus Pandemics Vaccines Viruses

A genetic mutation within a new coronavirus strain recently detected in the U.K. was first spotted in Brazil all the way back in April.
Scientists in the U.K. have identified a new strain of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes COVID-19, that is reportedly significantly more transmissible than the original based on early evidence—although it does not appear to cause a more severe form of the disease.
Viruses mutate all the time, and this new strain—dubbed the "B.1.1.7 lineage" or "VUI–202012/01"—contains 23 separate mutations in its genetic code.

One of the mutations—known as "N501Y"—was detected in Brazil as far back as April, Dr. Julian Tang, a clinical virologist from the University of Leicester, U.K., told Newsweek. Subsequently, scientists spotted the N501Y mutation in parts of Australia and the U.S. earlier this year.
"The N501Y mutation was circulating independently and separately in Brazil in April, 2020, and in the U.S. and Australia in June-July, 2020," Tang said.

This mutation affects the spike proteins of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which enable it to latch onto human cells and break in, causing disease.

Scientists think this specific mutation in combination with the others detected in the new strain may be working together to make the variant more transmissible—perhaps up to 70 percent more, according to early estimates. "When you put various mutations together, the combination can have a different effect," Peter Horby, chairman of the U.K. government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group, told The Telegraph.

"Any single one of those may have been seen elsewhere, like N501Y, but this constellation of multiple mutations would appear to be very new."
The new SARS-CoV-2 virus B.1.1.7 strain—containing the N501Y mutation—was first detected in the southeast of England in September and is spreading fast in the region, with scientists estimating that it may account for 60 percent of all new infections.

The strain has also been detected in other parts of the U.K. and a handful of cases have now also been confirmed in Denmark, the Netherlands, Australia, Italy and the British overseas territory of Gibraltar—located on the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula—in recent weeks.

There are also unconfirmed reports that the new strain is present in Belgium, while it may also be circulating undetected in France and South Africa, officials have suggested.

More than 40 countries around the world have now introduced temporary bans on arrivals from the U.K. in order to prevent the spread of the new strain.
London in lockdown

A woman puts on a face covering while illuminated by Piccadilly Circus on December 21, 2020 in London, England.
London and large parts of southern England were moved into a newly created "Tier 4" lockdown, closing
non-essential shops and limiting household mixing. Peter Summers/Getty Images

I have neither a glass jaw here nor feelings to check....couldn't possibly give less of a fuck about you or anyone else on an interracial porn site. So sorry if you didn't like me calling you out on your lies :rolleyes:
In a debate it's never you who decides, your facts did not and could not stand. You are getting attacks on both fronts and you you resulted to name calling memes. I am sorry that you have been confronted on your miss appropriations of the facts. So it's really ok to take your football and go home now. ( mic drop)

In a debate it's never you who decides, your facts did not and could not stand. You are getting attacks on both fronts and you you resulted to name calling memes. I am sorry that you have been confronted on your miss appropriations of the facts. So it's really ok to take your football and go home now. ( mic drop)
You've not disproven any facts I've stated, since you couldn't. You've just flirted about spewing idiocy like covid having a 99.99% recovery rate and it moving through walls and windows. But as with so many trolls, reality doesn't matter...enjoy your tinfoil mask.

I have doubts as to the claim of

With a virus the size of 0.1 µm, passing through walls, windows and cars wouldn't be no problem

Why doubts. Well the pathegon as an viral droplet doesn't have the volume percent concentration or density for a concentrated saturation of a surface. If we look at other pathegons, or even toxic agents that have the same volume and are the same size as SAR's Covid2 its clear to see that it lacks the ability for any penetration of a material or surface.

SAR's Covid2 cannot pass through, or penetrate porous materials further than a few microns and fails with none porous materials totaly, because as mentioned, it lacks the density and volume to do so. That is not to say it cannot attach its self to a surface though.

SAR's Covid2 attaches its self to a surface. It doesn't penetrate that surface. Electromagnetic, Gamma radiation, radio waves to name three of a short list of particals that can penetrate walls and windows or cars. The SAR's Cov2 cannot. This again is born out by the fact that you can clean surfaces and totaly destroy the pathergon by using a disinfectant,bleach or such items as recommended by many countries CDC's including Spains.

A earlier and more recent surveys found that it could live for three days on plastic and steel. Please notice the words on, not in. Also being infected by a contaminated surface is slim, not impossible, but slim. And lastly which also puts doubt onto your statement ' can pass through 'walls and windows and cars' is the fact that SAR's Cov2 cannot even pass through the skin of a person and enter that persons system. It can only penetrate a persons system by way of the inhalation or through the eyes membrane.

So in conclusion. As the SAR's Cov2 cannot penetrate the human skin. Then it cannot penetrate or pass through any of the solid objects you mentioned. Its just not possible.

Daphne, you're absolutely hilarious. You're such a minion for the Democrat Party (and just to pre-empt your knee jerk reaction, I'm NOT a Republican). Now, you're an expert on masks too. hahaha Hilarious.

I bet if CNN and the Democrats told everyone to wear red goggles and made it a partisan issue, you would suddenly become an expert on red googles and post endlessly about the virtues of red googles on here for people who don't care enough to read your posts. hahaha

Give it a rest, already. For your own sanity. My God. Turn off the TV. You'll feel so much better.

I'm saying this with love by the way. I tuned out about 20 years ago and am way calmer, better health, and even a better view of the world without all that bullshit and clamor. You are way immersed in the ether of endless news cycles and political posturing, it's not good for you. You must come to the conclusion eventually that it's all bullshit.

Daphne, you're absolutely hilarious. You're such a minion for the Democrat Party (and just to pre-empt your knee jerk reaction, I'm NOT a Republican). Now, you're an expert on masks too. hahaha Hilarious.
Seriously just how idiotic are you?. I didn't vote, cannot vote in the US. And certainly wouldn't vote for any of the two parties as they are.

I have years of experiance on the use of ventilators, masks and the various systems used for the protection of personnel and people. Unlike you. Also having worked overseas on various projects and countries my 'expertise is way beyond your limited lies and BS. Also researching is so simple to do. Yet you fail at every step to do so.

I bet if CNN and the Democrats told everyone to wear red goggles and made it a partisan issue, you would suddenly become an expert on red googles and post endlessly about the virtues of red googles on here for people who don't care enough to read your posts. hahaha

ROFLMAO@ your inept attempts. Here's the rub that pisses you off so much you continualy bite at every comment.. I research, then ask colleagues or search out any number of experts, people in the know to get the correct information. I post proven facts supported by data, evidence from a multitude of sources. corrolate everything and show that corrolation here in a variety of threads. Yet not once have you been able to refute, offer a rebuttle with proof to anything I've posted.

Which brings a rather strange point. Your lack of proof on everything you claim. Funny that!

As for people not reading my posts.. You did, so that shows you lied once again!

So to qoute someone else on here ...Give it a rest, already. For your own sanity. My God. Turn off the TV. You'll feel so much better.

You tuned out 20 years ago.. Yet here you are continually replying with your usual lies and BS... Tuned out? Your posts prove otherwise.

Lastly the only conclusive bullshit on here are your posts and comments. But you knew that already.

People come on here to chat and exchange views and argue. I do get what you're saying - watching the news is depressing and not good for the soul, but here in the UK we're getting over 1300 deaths a day now, with a fifth of your population. It's doubled in the last couple of weeks as the new variant has taken hold in London and the hospitals can't cope. I guess it's a similar story in the Netherlands, I think where Daphne is. It is a serious issue and discussing ways in which we can mitigate against it is a legitimate topic I reckon.

I had covid in November / December and was close to calling for an ambulance because I couldn't breathe. I now have chronic post covid syndrome - no smell, no taste, rashes, headaches, aching legs, visual disturbances, hot flushes. I had the NHS call me this morning, asking me to donate plasma to try to stop people from dying in hospital, but I can't, because I still have symptoms.

My neighbour over the road was killed by it at 55 years old. The pubs, restaurants, gyms, cinemas and all non food shops are shut. The economy is in pieces and it is getting worse.

But let's not talk about it and we will feel better. 🤔
Subby.

Sorry to hear you were ill. Wondered where you went. Are you under a doctor or hospital care as you are?

Also take no notice of riske.

He has no ability to research or inform himself. The fact that the information is readily available online and at most gov's web page. Goes right over his head as everything does.

Subby.

Sorry to hear you were ill. Wondered where you went. Are you under a doctor or hospital care as you are?

Also take no notice of riske.

He has no ability to research or inform himself. The fact that the information is readily available online and at most gov's web page. Goes right over his head as everything does.
Hi and thanks Daphne.

Not under a doctor or hospital care - I'm OK really and can work, but I still have the symptoms I mentioned coming and going. Most of the time I was ill (about 3 weeks) I wasn't too bad, but it was scary for a couple of days in the middle.

The place is pretty locked down but still the infections increase. It is more transmissible than it was. These idiots protesting against the lockdowns should be made to spend a day carrying bodies in hospitals. They grind my gears. Ass holes.

Back