Classic or custom Cars..

Had street rods for years...last one was a 31 5 window...got a good offer for it and sold it...hated that...I like rods..BUT market seems to be fading on them since mostly the older guys want them...newer generation into muscle...so just thought it best to sell it when the offer came..used the money to buy the Bel Air....which I hate now...loved it when I bought it...put the ac in it and etc....but now every place I take it....seems there are at least 2 others just like it (red/wht)...so I mostly drive my p/u it's a 66 chev s/b s/side 350/350..p/s ..p/b ..no air...but makes it handy to haul the 10x10 popup and chairs...so take it a lot

always wanted a highboy...had several streetrods....but somehow always let momma talk me into putting the fenders on..she also wanted a full hood...although never did that...just the top...wanted to show the chrome

How do you afford to drive that thing to far with the blower?

Yeah it's always kind of weird when I go to car shows, being a younger guy and having that type of car. Everyone always says that. They ask me why I don't like the muscle cars or the Imports.
I've always wanted a 32 Ford, I was originally going to drive out into Texas and pick one up that I found but then I came across this one locally and it was just too good of a deal to pass up. It does suck down the gas but I don't drive it all that often. I don't have any ******* or wife or a girlfriend, it's just me so not a big deal LOL.

They ask me why I don't like the muscle cars or the Imports.

the majority of people 50-40 prefer the muscle cars because that is what they grew up with and can associate with..had in high school and etc

It does suck down the gas but I don't drive it all that often

I have reached the point that gas does mean something...although still like the "thump"...but I am in a small group of guys and we may drive 100 miles to a show....and really want something that will make it there AND back without needing gas...so it is a big consideration on where we go...do not want to stop in some small town and get whatever they sell...dirt/water or etc...plus most of us do use the high octane gas anyway because of the compression issues

I don't have any ******* or wife or a girlfriend, it's just me so not a big deal LOL.
understand that...parted with some stuff really did not want to when we got married

I had an old 65 chev el camino that I drove for years...even after we got married...it was getting tired and using oil...so just parked it in the back of the garage out of the way....now that the ******* are older...both into the cars also...although my youngest just left for college...but anyway both boys wanted that el camino...so we restored it...new suspension..disc brakes..new sheet metal and etc....gave it to the oldest....had to look all over hell to find another 65 el camino for the youngest...going through it now same as we did the other one...should have it on the road next summer

That's awesome, I never really got into the El Caminos. I just thought they were ugly. But I have seen some really beautiful ones.. my dad had a 70, with a 502 in it. You're should post some pictures of your car.

I bought it years ago as a driver...at that time I was a mech for chev and it just came in handy...never really sold on it..just got it cheap and it was handy to have/use
but anything anymore that is old is popular...hell look at some of what you see now days at some of these car shows....tubbed out Rambler Nash with a big block!...Studebakers....and I NEVER thought I would see the day a 4 door would be popular...see them more and more now
I see one at a lot of car shows...trophies ALOT...it is an 80? model...LS motor/ tune port all the add ons you can get cruise air and etc...did such a great job it all looks factory...to look at it you would just think it is a high dollar el camino.....but if you know anything about cars...you know there is some money and work in that car...confuses a lot of people everytime he walks off with a trophy

as for my ******* wanting it...think they just saw it sitting there for so long and knew it was what I used to drive...they both wanted it..gave it to the oldest...and since the youngest wanted it also I said I would get him one.....think he wanted something else since I was going to get him a toy car...but got another one...same year and etc...now it is kind of a contest between the 2 of them to have different things

lucked out on my old one....was going to rebuild the 283..punch it out some..put some 305 heads on it with small cam..(305 heads have same bigger valves with no dome so don't lose any compression)...but while I was at the machine shop he had a motor that the guy didn't pay for and it had been a year..so got a good 327out of 68 vette .40 over with steel crank and etc for $1500..trying to copy for the other car...looked all over hell for another 327...finally got one out of a 67 Camaro...tired old motor cost me $1000.00

kind of funny ..working at chev and working on other peoples cars all day...wanted nothing to do with any of that when I got home..left there and went to work for the air lines doing non mechanical work...came home every night eager to hit the garage...that's where and how I got what I have....left the airline for this job...and spend 10 hours a day on a computer and usually 2 computers...love to get more garage time but hard to do..but no spring chicken now anyway...most of the weekend is under a damned hood of some kind and still enjoy

I'm assuming your coupe is an automatic...350/400? shift kit?
you know they can beef up those 700r4's anymore and eliminate a lot of the wiring and make it internal...still get the same torq off the line...yet be able to drive down the highway at a decent rpm

Last edited:
That's awesome.. Yeah I can relate to working on cars all day and then going home and not wanting to touch another one haha.. I like working on mine, plus no fenders makes it easy. Those little 32s are so basic, or can be. I don't have *******, I'm sure ill hang onto it for a while and then let it go.. Its fun to drive, but no power steering, no a.c., makes for short trips in Arizona. I got pulled over in it a while back doing 100 in a industrial area, no one around.. officer was totally cool about it lol.

Just thought I would start a threat, I'm not sure if anyone else is into classic or exotic, custom cars.. please feel free to upload pictures of your projects.. Ill load some shortly.
My first car was an 87 Firebird that I loved to death. It was beat up and my ******* and I put a lot of work into it but sadly the motor and transmission went and I bought a new car. Always meant to find another one and make it pristine just haven't done it yet.

Oh that's cool.. 80s cars were allllllll sorts of fun lol. I always liked the older firebirds, the smokey and the bandit body style..
Well I fell in love with Camaros when I was about 14 and really wanted one but my parents got a deal on my Firebird and I loved the flip up headlights. I know it wasn't the collector's body style or anything but she was my baby.

Oh yeah absolutely! Defiantly a cool car. You should get another classic.. You would look cute in it.
Almost had a 69 Camaro but got beat to the bank. I need to replace my daily driver in the next few years but after I get that paid off I think I am going to look for another Firebird or Camaro.

I like the body lines on a 69 better than the 68&67 for whatever reason...the little line going from the top of the rear wheel weel to the back.kind of sets it off

we have a young couple here (mid 20's) that bring the "bandit" to shows..it is pristine...assuming they got it from dad?..not a question I wanted to ask them though...it is very nice..looks like it came off the showroom floor

id ditch the sidepipes for duals out the back.

I'm doing another 65 el camino.....and have seriously thought about putting side pipes on it...straight pipes...just like the old days
the other el camino I did for my oldest ******* I put flow masters on it...sounds good...EXCEPT when driving about 2200rpm and it is really loud inside...just kind of vibrates or ????after that quiets down inside..on the highway you hear nothing really
but anyway just to be different thought about bringing stainless right down off the manifold and down the rocker panels...just thinking right now

Back