Thoughts on Rihanna Video BBBHMM (white woman abused)

In the music video "Bitch Better Have My Money," Rihanna plays the leader of a gang of three who kidnaps a rich white woman who is married to an accountant who ripped her off financially. The white woman is held for ransom, tortured and humiliated, but the husband refuses to pay his debt for the return of his wife. In the end, the wife is let go and her husband is sadistically tied up and killed by Rihanna for revenge. While criticized in some progressive outlets, I was surprised by how many positive reviews the video received, claiming Rihanna was using art to make statement against white patriarchy. They also lavished praise on her for her "gang members being multiracial" (one white/one Indian), and noted that having all Black female gang members would have fed a negative stereotype. I believe Rihanna placed her white female accomplice in a collar for a very intentional reason, and one the secular media was too uncomfortable to address (Note the other accomplice was also wearing a collar, but one more subtle, and both of them were doing most of the work while Rihanna gave instructions). My belief is that Rihanna was trying to subtly symbolize to whites that if they want to be allies to movements like Black Lives Matter, they need to accept being placed in subordinate roles to Black members of leadership. Anyway, curious to see if anyone else has thoughts on the video?
I am a musician and teach Music and Music technology at a UK university. Music can and should provide some genuine thought provoking issues. I'm glad that riahanna has released this, purely just to piss off far right, maga supporting rednecks. It's sort of 'punk rock' in that this is music to annoy parents/government/ society by.. :)

It annoys me that the same people who suggested that heavy metal fans (like me) are satanists, are now the same folk who object to music from an urban environment (can't be bothered to list all the different genres and subgenres). Little do they realise that 'pop' music in general borrows heavily from Blues, Jazz etc. Essentially music which came from africa, through centuries of slavery and trade.

I did my degree dissertation on the religious imagery in popular music from 1920 through to 2016. Part of which I had to research the origins of music culture...Hit me up if anyone fancies a look at it.

Last edited:
Back