PM’s and grammar

AnnieS

Female
Gold Member
Real Person
From
US
Just my small rant of the day. I don’t mind getting PM’s and I reply to all but I have to be honest. I’m an adult mature woman. I’m not 14 or 24. I don’t talk Text speak or understand keyboard shortcuts where numbers and letters are supposed to represent words. I write in complete sentences and I proof read before I hit send. Sometimes I even edit after I hit send. I try to be articulate and use good grammatical sentence structure. I probably won’t reply to you if you send me text talk or some other type of reply that I need a cypher to understand. Please if you are an adult try to communicate like one if you write me. It is your best chance to get a reply. ;)

Last edited:
Just my small rant of the day. I don’t mind getting PM’s and I reply to all but I have to be honest. I’m an adult mature woman. I’m not 14 or 24. I don’t talk Text speak or understand keyboard shortcuts where numbers and letters are supposed to represent words. I write in complete sentences and I proof read before I hit send. Sometimes I even edit after I hit send. I try to be articulate and use good grammatical sentence structure. I probably won’t reply to you when if you send me text talk or some other type of reply that I need a cypher to understand. Please if you are an an adult try to communicate like one if you write me. It is your best chance to get a reply. ;)
But u sure lQQK like 34 for damn sure, hahahaha and yeah i hear youb nowdays short weird words and seems like they dont have enough time to complete a word or a sentence and u need to break a code to understand ..😂 😂

amy poehler please GIF

Nothing is a bigger turn off than a grown ass man speaking like a high school student.

I have patience if English is a second language but if it's your only language there's no excuse to be so lazy with it.

Of course, expecting good spelling and grammar is reasonable. But, what I notice here is that there is a lot of communication between the younger and the older, and short cuts or “text speak” is very common among younger people. It’s the way lots of young people communicate in the world today using modern technology, and there’s nothing necessarily wrong with all of it in and of itself. I’ve found lots of utility in learning and using some of that lingo.

It’s helped me to communicate better with certain groups of people, and even helped me to write more precise and crisp messages to get the point across. Instead of expecting everybody to bend to how you like to communicate all the time, there is some benefit to be had in learning (and using) the communication styles of others too, including how younger people communicate via text and personal messages.

In short, it’s useful to get with the times and understand how people of a different generation communicate too.

Last edited:
Of course, expecting good spelling and grammar is reasonable. But, what I notice here is that there is a lot of communication between the younger and the older, and short cuts or “text speak” is very common among younger people. It’s the way lots of young people communicate in the world today using modern technology, and there’s nothing necessarily wrong with all of it in and of itself. I’ve found lots of utility in learning and using some of that lingo.

It’s helped me to communicate better with certain groups of people, and even helped me to write more precise and crisp messages to get the point across. Instead of expecting everybody to bend to how you like to communicate all the time, there is some benefit to be had in learning (and using) the communication styles of others too, including how younger people communicate via text and personal messages.

In short, it’s useful to get with the times and understand how people of a different generation communicate too.
While that may be true, I personally agree with @AnnieS ; I too take the time to proof read my comments, and for the most part avoid four word answers. When communicating online, I prefer to show some level of intelligence and articulation, and most importantly, that a reasonable amount of my ******* flow goes to the upper head as well.

On the other side of the coin, if someone only answers in four word statements, it suggests to me they aren't willing to invest any time or thought, let them go.

I don't communicate with people who can't form a sentence, spell somewhat correctly or at least make an effort and want to ask me questions in code. I am sorry it is the way it is. I am also not interested in 20 somethings so that helps a lot too.

I believe the message is very clear. It is directed to the so called “adults” and not the 20-something crowd. In other words, know your target audience and communicate accordingly. I think you are both right in your own right based on who your target audience is. There is nothing wrong with technology but at the end of the day a grown man well versed in his seduction craft would know and admit to self that although technology is helpful (since this is what we are all using here); technology and short text have never seduced a grown woman who knows what she wants. Just my 2 cents 😉

Just my small rant of the day. I don’t mind getting PM’s and I reply to all but I have to be honest. I’m an adult mature woman. I’m not 14 or 24. I don’t talk Text speak or understand keyboard shortcuts where numbers and letters are supposed to represent words. I write in complete sentences and I proof read before I hit send. Sometimes I even edit after I hit send. I try to be articulate and use good grammatical sentence structure. I probably won’t reply to you when if you send me text talk or some other type of reply that I need a cypher to understand. Please if you are an adult try to communicate like one if you write me. It is your best chance to get a reply. ;)
Well said Annie, something I thought from my side too receiving messages here. First impressions count and nothing is more of an immediate turn off than bad spelling grammar and text speak!

I believe the message is very clear. It is directed to the so called “adults” and not the 20-something crowd. In other words, know your target audience and communicate accordingly. I think you are both right in your own right based on who your target audience is. There is nothing wrong with technology but at the end of the day a grown man well versed in his seduction craft would know and admit to self that although technology is helpful (since this is what we are all using here); technology and short text have never seduced a grown woman who knows what she wants. Just my 2 cents 😉

That’s true, you have to know your target audience. Both sides of any communication equation need to understand this and act accordingly if you want to make a connection.

Just my small rant of the day. I don’t mind getting PM’s and I reply to all but I have to be honest. I’m an adult mature woman. I’m not 14 or 24. I don’t talk Text speak or understand keyboard shortcuts where numbers and letters are supposed to represent words. I write in complete sentences and I proof read before I hit send. Sometimes I even edit after I hit send. I try to be articulate and use good grammatical sentence structure. I probably won’t reply to you when if you send me text talk or some other type of reply that I need a cypher to understand. Please if you are an adult try to communicate like one if you write me. It is your best chance to get a reply. ;)
So glad I'm not alone. I have ask young people a few times about a phrase or symbols. Still puzzled at times looking at them i still don't get how that means that. A clear sign of age difference or not being familiar with street slang. Our difference i guess is i don't stress i just reply. sometimes saying i have no idea what you're talking about. That works i only remember one young man who responded with a explanation. The others i think realized she's a little older than what i want.

So glad I'm not alone. I have ask young people a few times about a phrase or symbols. Still puzzled at times looking at them i still don't get how that means that. A clear sign of age difference or not being familiar with street slang. Our difference i guess is i don't stress i just reply. sometimes saying i have no idea what you're talking about. That works i only remember one young man who responded with a explanation. The others i think realized she's a little older than what i want.
That happens to me. I have honestly said that as well Artgirl. "Excuse me but I have no idea what that means or what you are saying. Please retry it in English"

I have had prospective young job candidates sit in front of the desk of an HR associate and answer questions and replies to resume' situations and I am just stunned in a professional environment that one- you would find it acceptable to come to a professional interview in blue jeans and a t shirt, two have a suit on but have no idea how to tie a tie so you leave it 4" below your collar like you slipped it on over your head in the car because your friend tied it for you. Another was one where the guy had on gym shoes and no socks. Lastly during the process have to stop and seriously think about what the reply was because it was said in slang or with profanity. Rule number one dont use the word "fuck" in a job interview where you are hoping to make a career. And I am not talking about a position at Starbucks but a large company and these are college educated young people looking to get into the professional world and I am sitting in on the interviews for my department. The resume's are filled with typo's or just plain bad grammar. Incomplete sentences or fragments. If you can't frame a sentence or two in response to a question how are you going to prepare for example and international teleconference call where your going to be ****** to think on your feet and have clear diction and sentence structure so your counterpart who may have English as a second language can understand you?

Last edited:
Bad grammar and punctuation are the least of the issues with many DMs. The direct uncouth messages are usually a massive turn off.

Bad grammar and punctuation are the least of the issues with many DMs. The direct uncouth messages are usually a massive turn off.
I get the usual start of of "hey what's up slut" so I usually reply "Just browsing the site manwhore." ha ha ha
Doesn't mean I can't be one when I want to but an opening line with it in there is not usually a good way to start.

We are with you all the way on this one. The inability to communicate clearly and using correct written English is a complete turn off.

Back