Greenhouse

Anyone else into plants? I have a tomatoes plant that is like 6 feet tall and no tomatoes 🍅. Probably have several hundred dollars in plants in here.
🪴 🌱
Nice garden but I believe if your tomatio plant is in there its getting too much water & shade. It has no reason to bear fruit. Try moving a stalk outside into the sunshine. Tomatoes love SUN. Keep 'em watered regularly, but not too much, add plant food, and be patient as the plants are probably waiting for a bit cooler weather. Add lime occasionally each year as well to obtain that perfect soil conditioning. Most tomatoes don't care for shade even when temperatures are in 90's. Even a couple hours shade at the right time of day from a low hanging tree limb. I'm in NC, too and NC (i'm near Raleigh) has a zone 5A growing season.
Also, some types of tomato plants are more affected with your seasonal conditions. Ask your local hardware store which plants work best where you are. Won't be long until Fall, and the Early Girls love Fall & early Spring to grow well. Start the seedlings in next 4-5 weeks and plant by late October.
I love the larger sized tomatoes; had some luck with Beefsteak tomatoes. Start as seedlings in mid-late May, plant in late June for loaf bread size tomatoes ... love the bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwiches on toasted bread.
I've never had a whole lot of luck with Better Boys & Big Boys.

Our problem here are the animals ... birds, deer, raccoons, etc. We got 'em all here. I even have put out wire fence & dust 'em but nothing stops them.

Last edited:
Nice garden but I believe if your tomatio plant is in there its getting too much water & shade. It has no reason to bear fruit. Try moving a stalk outside into the sunshine. Tomatoes love SUN. Keep 'em watered regularly, but not too much, add plant food, and be patient as the plants are probably waiting for a bit cooler weather. Add lime occasionally each year as well to obtain that perfect soil conditioning. Most tomatoes don't care for shade even when temperatures are in 90's. Even a couple hours shade at the right time of day from a low hanging tree limb. I'm in NC, too and NC (i'm near Raleigh) has a zone 5A growing season.
Also, some types of tomato plants are more affected with your seasonal conditions. Ask your local hardware store which plants work best where you are. Won't be long until Fall, and the Early Girls love Fall & early Spring to grow well. Start the seedlings in next 4-5 weeks and plant by late October.
I love the larger sized tomatoes; had some luck with Beefsteak tomatoes. Start as seedlings in mid-late May, plant in late June for loaf bread size tomatoes ... love the bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwiches on toasted bread.
I've never had a whole lot of luck with Better Boys & Big Boys.

Our problem here are the animals ... birds, deer, raccoons, etc. We got 'em all here. I even have put out wire fence & dust 'em but nothing stops them.
Thanks for the tip but I have tomatoes 🍅 outside and inside the greenhouse and none of them are giving fruit. My friend who lives about 15 miles from me and even my Nextdoor neighbor none of us have tomatoes.

How much water are you giving them? I have ten cherry tomatoes on my front porch, out of the shade 9-5. All have drip pans and I completely soak them until the pans run over at LEAST once a day, two if I'm up early enough...have a bowl on the kitchen counter as well as off the vine when passing by...

Thanks for the tip but I have tomatoes 🍅 outside and inside the greenhouse and none of them are giving fruit. My friend who lives about 15 miles from me and even my Nextdoor neighbor none of us have tomatoes.
well, that's really weird, indeed. I'd compare the types of tomatoes each of you are growing, and I'd test the soils you have them planted in. I've never experienced tomatoes I couldn't get to grow, but had a few types, like Better Boys, that just didn't mature and would get rot growth.
It'd be worth comparing notes with the 3 of you, find out if anyone in your area is having success with tomatoes and comparing their tomato info with your own. Are you starting your seeldlings inside and planting when they're ready?

I love mysteries with plants and animals and I love nature.
Just this week my wife & I watched a small rabbit share a bird bath with a squirrel. We really love our rabbits, they let us walk right up to them because we've provided shelter (lattice fence under deck) and we put a bird bath on the ground for them to get water.
I'll watch your post to see how you guys' progress ... and I'll do some research.

Mine in 100% potting soil, and I reuse it every year for the last six, only mixing in sufficient new soil to top off pot. Had to hang CD's on my wind chimes to keep the fucking deer from walking on the front porch...they're after two mulberry plantings, they've eaten off the top 4 times.

Mine in 100% potting soil, and I reuse it every year for the last six, only mixing in sufficient new soil to top off pot. Had to hang CD's on my wind chimes to keep the fucking deer from walking on the front porch...they're after two mulberry plantings, they've eaten off the top 4 times.
I feel your pain, man. This one was taken a few years back .... they love bird feeders and bird baths too ... in early fall they empty both every night.

pic_DeerInBackyard03.jpg

does anyone have tips for growing melons ? I tried it 2 years ago with honey melons the plants got really big but the fruits all stayed very small more like tomato size. they were in direct sunlight and got an high amount of water so normally they should have grown normal sized fruits ? they are sadly quiet expensive were I live so I would like to try it again

hello, thank you for your response. I grew the melons outdoors not in a greenhouse. I just used the thread because the problem that bbcfirefighter had sounded similar to mine. so I must apologize to you, if I caused confusion. yes I thought about bees too, but since they grew fruits in the first place the little yellow flowers must have been sucessfully pollinated before ? another think I thought about is, if I maybe caused some shock to the plants. I never grew honey melons before and the plants got really big they get like a really long arm and I had limited space so I had to play a bit of puzzle and make sure they dont overlap too much while growing. so maybe by touching the plant and not letting them grow they way they wanted themself it shocked them ? but still its hard for me to believe that this would cause all the plants to stop growing their fruit at the same time.

bbcfirefighter did your tomatoes grow normally this year or do you still have the same problem ?

On other thing that is not too expensive is to test the PH of your soil, then find out what is the best PH to grow them in. Look at the water needed to grow them, what type of food did you use.

Back