Advice on where to retire.

A blacked rose

Couple
Real Person
From
PA, US
We want to semi retire and move south in a year or two. Looking for a state or area with a low cost of living, and property prices. Of course it needs to have a healthy population of avaliable black men for the wife.
Would like to talk to someone that lives in these areas for advice.

Most any of the southern states have a good population of black men. I assume you'd want more than just that, however. The old cotton & tobacco states will supply that for you, particularly around their old 19th century distribution locations. The cost to live in the suburban areas is reasonable, the rural areas least expensive of course. You'd need to supply the readers a lot more than what you have already, like ... hobbies, sports teams, mountains or ocean, social life activities, anything other than just porking bbc's. The further south it seems the poorer the states become. Wonder why that is?
I'm a mountain guy myself, and life is cheap & still simple in the mountains.

Everyone seems to be leaving Pennsylvania these days. I wonder why?

PA, taxes the crap out of us. Cost of living is high. That said we are tired of winter. Arthritis in the winter time is really painfull. We are thinking north or south carolina. Being from the north we don't want to go to the deep south. Not sure if we can handle the really high heat there. We will be.living on a modest income and will bring an 82 year old family member with us. Hoping to find reasonable priced housing. Would like to live on the edge of town. Not big city people. Also would like to be near the Appilation mountains, but not up in them. Hobbies are archery, shooting skeet and trap. Also like back packing, camping, canoeing, bike riding. Hope this helps.

We want to semi retire and move south in a year or two. Looking for a state or area with a low cost of living, and property prices. Of course it needs to have a healthy population of avaliable black men for the wife.
Would like to talk to someone that lives in these areas for advice.
I haven't lived in or visited Florida for years, but on balance still the best place in the country for retirees. They don't tax Social Security, 401ks, a low property tax rate, and no state income tax. The obvious downside to this kind of economic regime is a general lack of services that you might be used to elsewhere. Though your older relative should be well taken care of as a large population of retirees means plenty of freinds for your relative and aa robust healthcare industries to see to their needs. Depending on which county you live in housing prices can be quite affordable. Its winter's are generally mild, but summer heat and humidity can be a real beast.

It's also something of a lifestyle capital. And plenty of brothers are more than familiar with white women who like some chocolate.

Forget Florida and California - prices, land value, cost of living etc. Arizona and Nevada are for *******. That leaves a bunch of redneck states. However...you could live well in New Orleans or Baton Rouge, LA. Maybe Savannah, GA. Houston or Mobile are options, but they would never make my list.

Problem with any of these is the wild weather. So many storms.

PA, taxes the crap out of us. Cost of living is high. That said we are tired of winter. Arthritis in the winter time is really painfull. We are thinking north or south carolina. Being from the north we don't want to go to the deep south. Not sure if we can handle the really high heat there. We will be.living on a modest income and will bring an 82 year old family member with us. Hoping to find reasonable priced housing. Would like to live on the edge of town. Not big city people. Also would like to be near the Appilation mountains, but not up in them. Hobbies are archery, shooting skeet and trap. Also like back packing, camping, canoeing, bike riding. Hope this helps.
Look towards Greensboro or Winston Salem, NC ... both in the foothills of the Appalachian (Blue Ridge) Mountain, lots of fishing streams & lakes & managed camping sites, lots & lots of bike trails + state supported biking lanes. You'll never see a hurricane and you'd be about 1 hour from the mountains which then blend into the Smoky Mountains. A lot of rainbow & brown trout lakes & streams, and the small mouth bass are fun.
We were just on the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway last week which runs from W. Va to Ga with a lot of sites to see. Its usually 8-10 degrees lower in temperature in the mountains than elsewhere in NC and very low humidity.

If you get tired of the mountains you can traval east 21/2 hours and be at the Atlantic Ocean and NC Outerbanks. They've been catching some large trophy size swordfish & marlins off the coast of Cape Hatteras.

Land & homes in the suburbs are still very affordable.

Hardly no hurricanes in the past 20 years unless you live on the coast. Some fairly large tornadoes but they are the dissipation type that drop out of the clouds for 15-20 minutes and then disappear; not the "runner" type. They call Southern tornadoes the "fingers of satan". I've lived here all my life & never seen a live tornado and I live in the center of the state.

Last edited:
Thank You for all this great information. Me I own a big Air Stream Trailer. Have traveled across the USA with the exception of Hawaii. That I stayed on 4 / 5 day stop over on my way to New Zealand, Australia, Hong Kong. Used to travel to Triple A Baseball teams. Was surprised at how great small town Cities food and hospitality was. Will not get into who has better Sweet Tea as that is subject almost as bitter as Trump / Bidin.

Over the years have Hiked about 1/2 the continental divide trail. From Mexico to Canada.
Not old enough to settle in just one place yet.

Will not get into who has better Sweet Tea as that is subject almost as bitter as Trump / Bidin.
Only ONE tea to d.rink if you wish to "taste" the natural flavors of the tea leaves ... and that's Sun Tea. My grandmother use to set a gallon container on the front porch before we left for church and when we got back 3 hours later, the sun had done its magic.
Note that the type of water you use is very, very important. Grandmother use to draw her drinking water from a well out back of her house because the taste of the "line" water coming into the house didn't taste fresh to her. Grandmother's well water was soft spring water and several of the surrounding neighbors use to draw their drinking water from her well, too. I think that well has been there at least 70 years.
When we make Sun Tea now, we use the gallon jugs of Spring Water you get at the grocery stores. Our 2 beta fish love the spring water as well.

SouthernMadeSUNTEA.jpg

Last edited:
Back