How and when did the term " thick" become a complimentary term to describe a woman's body?

Black male chauvinism. *lol* But you are right. "Thick" is a positive attribute for Women nowadays. :) And particularly so when we are talking about Her a$$. ;) The first time i heard/saw it used as a compliment was less than ten years ago. It is broadly accepted today. i think mostly Black guys use it that way who want to look educated and get rid of assumed ghetto gang membership which would perhaps be the case if they were using "phat" instead. :D "Fat" on the other hand is still negatively connoted. jm2ct's

Really, society cycles through what is considered attractive. Curvy was attractive in the 1940s and 1950s, then the 60s hit, and Twiggy was popular, and thin was back in. The 1980s had the aerobics, leg warmers, Jane Fonda, and others pushing aerobics. Looking further back, the 1920s had flappers, who were thin and rather boyish. Way before that, rubenesque was the big thing, curvy women.

Probably the last 10-15 years is when "thick" became a thing again, and it's a lot more popular now.

I for one was insulted when I first heard someone describe me that way...

I've come to learn that it's complimentary and now like being described that way.

BTW, it was a very handsome and athletic Black Man who taught me better.
I might have to do a podcast episode on this topic, but a lot of terms that you hear in the lifestyle were started by black man in the hip hop culture.
PHAT
THICC
WHOOTY
PHATTY
PAWG
SlimThick
JUNK
BRICKHOUSE
snow bunny

We use totally different words to describe women. A lot of white women will be TOTALLY CONFUSED unless you hang out with black men 😂😂😂

The other day I was doing a photoshoot with a very Curvy cute white woman. She had never heard the term PAWG before in her Life. I had to break it down for her 😎

inCollage_20200201_191039127.jpg

Black male chauvinism. *lol* But you are right. "Thick" is a positive attribute for Women nowadays. :) And particularly so when we are talking about Her a$$. ;) The first time i heard/saw it used as a compliment was less than ten years ago. It is broadly accepted today. i think mostly Black guys use it that way who want to look educated and get rid of assumed ghetto gang membership which would perhaps be the case if they were using "phat" instead. :D "Fat" on the other hand is still negatively connoted. jm2ct's

um no. please do not make assumptions about a culture you know nothing about.

not sure what the bold is even supposed to mean, but it screams of nativity and lack of exposure. "look educated"..."ghetto gang membership"...haha you're simple.

blacks have been using the term thick and phat for a while. the term predates the advent of social media, which is the reason whites finally understand their meaning. I've had to correct many white women that were confused and upset by the word "thick"...

also, rubenesque isn't a hard word to spell. it's pretty phonetic.

Really, society cycles through what is considered attractive. Curvy was attractive in the 1940s and 1950s, then the 60s hit, and Twiggy was popular, and thin was back in. The 1980s had the aerobics, leg warmers, Jane Fonda, and others pushing aerobics. Looking further back, the 1920s had flappers, who were thin and rather boyish. Way before that, rubenesque was the big thing, curvy women.

Probably the last 10-15 years is when "thick" became a thing again, and it's a lot more popular now.

nope. maybe for whites, again thanks to social media, but that word has been commonplace since I was very young. I'm now 33.

I was in high school describing girls as thick.

this is the type of thread where you can separate the fetishes from people who actually know black people. haha!

not sure what the bold is even supposed to mean, but it screams of nativity and lack of exposure. "look educated"..."ghetto gang membership"...haha you're simple.

blacks have been using the term thick and phat for a while. the term predates the advent of social media, which is the reason whites finally understand their meaning. I've had to correct many white women that were confused and upset by the word "thick"...

nope. maybe for whites, again thanks to social media, but that word has been commonplace since I was very young. I'm now 33.

this is the type of thread where you can separate the fetishes from people who actually know black people. haha!
Cracks me up listening to white dudes trying to explain Black Culture, SMH...

I think we both posted at the exact same time, said the same ******* 🤣

I was wrong about how long ago. I just posted, the first I heard of it was probably Sir Mixalot with Baby Got Back, and that was 28 years ago. So that would match up with you hearing about it when you were young.

Do I know black people? Yes. Am I immersed in black culture? No. I'll never claim to be, or make any pseudo-intellectual comments about why black men like thick women, or why they use certain words.

I was wrong about how long ago. I just posted, the first I heard of it was probably Sir Mixalot with Baby Got Back, and that was 28 years ago. So that would match up with you hearing about it when you were young.

Do I know black people? Yes. Am I immersed in black culture? No. I'll never claim to be, or make any pseudo-intellectual comments about why black men like thick women, or why they use certain words.

no it wouldn't because my relatives (and black culture) used it well before I was even born, when they were teens. so again, stop making assumptions. it's ok to not know something, concede, listen, and learn.

the fact that you have the audacity to dispute this is very telling, cuck.

I for one was insulted when I first heard someone describe me that way...

I've come to learn that it's complimentary and now like being described that way.

BTW, it was a very handsome and athletic Black Man who taught me better.
you'd have to go all the way back to the Commodores when they made the song "Brick House" in 1977.
That might sound offensive, comparing a woman to a house😅😅😅, but that's actually a high compliment meaning a woman has a very curvy body

no it wouldn't because my relatives (and black culture) used it well before I was even born, when they were teens. so again, stop making assumptions. it's ok to not know something, concede, listen, and learn.

the fact that you have the audacity to dispute this is very telling, cuck.

Okay, I am out of this thread, due to the hostility. Fuck it, I just said when I had heard about it, and about general societal norms about what is attractive. Sorry about that chip on your shoulder, dude. Fuck you, asshole.

Back