Time to leave

Torpedo

Male
Gold Member
I have enjoyed this site for some time. Conversations have been stimulating and a few times I have laughed so hard I have nearly fallen out of my chair.

There has always been a separation of those that have gone through the site's verification process and those that choose not to. I am in the latter group.

Recently I was invited to join a thread the was limited to verified members and I was provided with a link. The link didn't work. Then I was provided with the text of the thread but none of the comments were visible to me, simply a notation of "Closed" and there was no place or method for me to comment. And I noticed that I was listed as a participant in the thread.

I have seen this type of discrimination before. A group claims to include but does so in name only. I had hoped not to see that type of thing anymore but apparently I was wrong. I am sure that as soon as a moderator or administrator sees this thread it will disappear. I have found that those that discriminate do not like the light of truth shined upon them. It seems that many humans have the need to elevate themselves at the expense of others.

I don't know if I will or want to come back. I enjoyed this site and that is no longer the case.

I don't know if you'll ever see my reply, Torpedo, but I am incredibly saddened by your departure. You were a voice of reason, one that I always enjoyed hearing.

I can only wish you well, my Internet friend, and hope that our paths may cross again someday.

I have enjoyed this site for some time. Conversations have been stimulating and a few times I have laughed so hard I have nearly fallen out of my chair.

There has always been a separation of those that have gone through the site's verification process and those that choose not to. I am in the latter group.

Recently I was invited to join a thread the was limited to verified members and I was provided with a link. The link didn't work. Then I was provided with the text of the thread but none of the comments were visible to me, simply a notation of "Closed" and there was no place or method for me to comment. And I noticed that I was listed as a participant in the thread.

I have seen this type of discrimination before. A group claims to include but does so in name only. I had hoped not to see that type of thing anymore but apparently I was wrong. I am sure that as soon as a moderator or administrator sees this thread it will disappear. I have found that those that discriminate do not like the light of truth shined upon them. It seems that many humans have the need to elevate themselves at the expense of others.

I don't know if I will or want to come back. I enjoyed this site and that is no longer the case.

Hi Torpedo:) --hope you check and see the replies----I think the post was closed to everyone------at least it was to me as well today......I did reply to you in that post- i don't know if you got it or if it had already been closed at that point........i think the post was closed ONLY because it was an old posting- -----I hadn't been on in months and replied to it, which opened it back up, but at that point- it wasn't necessary/helpful anymore -------------had nothing to do with discriminating against anyone---was only to help the community------you were included in that post because your opinions were so highly valued as a member here- ------i also sent you a personal email if you see this

Torpedo---please check your email-------since you didn't see the replies, which were very few----this is all a terrible misunderstanding --and if you had gotten to see the replies before the post was closed-------you would have seen the intention of the original post was not about verification............

That particular thread was closed by my suggestion to the OP as it changed from it's original intention and was becoming a wandering discussion that contained some personal business not related to the website and was including the main administrators of the site as well as all of the moderators and various members.

There was no reason for the admins and mods to need to take time away from their other concerns to read the personal business of others which had nothing to do with the website. That was the reason I suggested that the thread be closed, NOT to censor the members or discriminate between verified and non-verified members.

Please keep in mind that, unlike the regular membership, the admins and mods get numerous alerts for various things which we must respond to, one of those is the conversations. To continually receive alerts for a conversation that is not intended for us as individuals and which is not related to the operation of the website, becomes somewhat along the lines of getting phone calls from telemarketers while you are trying to enjoy your dinner.

If you wish to start a conversation open to the entire website, go for it. However, the same thing can be accomplished by starting a thread which others can post to at their leisure.
Just keep in mind that whatever the subject of the conversation is, if you are specifically inviting the admins and mods to take part, it should be something related to the website unless you have a reason to ask them to participate as an individual on a personal basis.

Sorry for any misunderstandings regarding the closure of that conversation.

Back