Real Life Reparations- White Families Wear YOKE to ask for forgiveness

Glad i am not the only one who thinks it's stupid.

Funny is'nt it, if someone did something to you, what would you rather have, an apology, people like in the link who make a spectacle out of it, or a bag of money? I prefer money, or else that person can just go fuck himself/herself.

Just my opinion, but I take a dim view of the reparations issue. Slavery officially ended with the 13the Amendment in 1865, no black person alive today was a slave, no white person alive today owned slaves. As for my family, I'm not even sure that all of my descendants were in this country pre-13th Amendment, so I can't even say that I am fully descended from slaves, not to mention the fact that there is more than Black in my family lineage (Caucasian among others). So, since I have a few drops of white ******* on one side of my family, would I get some reparations then have to give some of it back?

And, if they did do reparations, where would the money come from?

Maybe it's just me, but an apology of any sort from a person who was not directly involved in the act they are apologizing for is pretty much an empty and meaningless apology. Putting a more personal bent on things (totally hypothetical), if someone assaults me in some way and 20 years later the family who now lives in the house I was assaulted in apologizes, that doesn't really mean much, since they had nothing to do with it. Sometimes you can get an apology from the perpetrator, sometimes you can't. Unfortunately, that's life, and you don't always get what is owed to you, or what you feel you may deserve.

Just my opinion, but I take a dim view of the reparations issue. Slavery officially ended with the 13the Amendment in 1865, no black person alive today was a slave, no white person alive today owned slaves. As for my family, I'm not even sure that all of my descendants were in this country pre-13th Amendment, so I can't even say that I am fully descended from slaves, not to mention the fact that there is more than Black in my family lineage (Caucasian among others). So, since I have a few drops of white ******* on one side of my family, would I get some reparations then have to give some of it back?

And, if they did do reparations, where would the money come from?
Very well said, if I might add. "Reparations" are just an excuse for a handout or whatever else they can get. The past is the past. I have never been a slave nor do I know anyone that was a slave. If you are a black American and are really concerned about revenge be successful. Money is the great equalizer. If you have legitimately earned money (******* dealing doesn't count) and education, that gets you status within the community and respect.

Maybe it's just me, but an apology of any sort from a person who was not directly involved in the act they are apologizing for is pretty much an empty and meaningless apology. Putting a more personal bent on things (totally hypothetical), if someone assaults me in some way and 20 years later the family who now lives in the house I was assaulted in apologizes, that doesn't really mean much, since they had nothing to do with it. Sometimes you can get an apology from the perpetrator, sometimes you can't. Unfortunately, that's life, and you don't always get what is owed to you, or what you feel you may deserve.
Well said!

The way I see it, reparation was made with the "white" statistics that gave blacks their freedom:

Deaths: 600,000+ (1:10 soldiers in the Civil War died)
Orphans: 450,000+
Widows: 200,000+

What bigger price needs to be paid by whites?

It wasn't white men that sold blacks into slavery, and in fact, had whites not purchased the slaves from Africa, most blacks that are in the US now wouldn't even exist because their ancestors would have been put to death by other blacks in Africa.
Most southerners that fought in the Civil War didn't own slaves, either. Back then southerners elected to fight for the South because their specific State was fighting for the South. The definition of a State was still very real as our country was still forming ... unlike now, where we are all USA. Many died not even really knowing the cause for which they were fighting.

The way I see it, reparation was made with the "white" statistics that gave blacks their freedom:

It wasn't white men that sold blacks into slavery, and in fact, had whites not purchased the slaves from Africa, most blacks that are in the US now wouldn't even exist because their ancestors would have been put to death by other blacks in Africa.
Most southerners that fought in the Civil War didn't own slaves, either. Back then southerners elected to fight for the South because their specific State was fighting for the South. The definition of a State was still very real as our country was still forming ... unlike now, where we are all USA. Many died not even really knowing the cause for which they were fighting.
Nice insight. This point of view should be much more widespread

Excellent points Mac. Very few Southerners, and even fewer who served in the Confederate armed forces, owned much property, let alone slaves. And while slavery was a shitty way to get here, as an American, I'd much rather be black in this country than being black in some West African shithole like Sierra Leone.

Now, I would expect the "all white people are evil crowd" to blast you, Torpedo, and me for our posts.

Spreaking strictly from an observant point of view, I would also like to add in the cost of black labor to this scale. I will not argue that a heavy toll in lives were paid during the war, but to say that this suffering was the price for their freedom is a narrow view of the situation. Paying for the freedom of someone you enslave is not even close to making things even. Paying for their freedom, as well as their lifetime of free labor that was vital to the economic growth of the country, now that would be making things right. However in 2013 sadly the blacks in america do not have nearly the unity to justify such a demand. Such is life.

Can they just fuck my wife and call it even?
hahaha Gisade! excellent
Thank you my blacktowhite community for this insight into American history, it does beg a question about the sins of the fathers. In the UK we have a default setting of being sorry to the rest of the world (excluding France & Germany) about our foreign policy over the last 300 years. In my families case we have nothing to be sorry for. By 1900 Britain had the greatest empire the world had ever seen......and also the worst slums in europe. Generations of my ancestors were sent to serve and die in hostile climates all over the globe and to what end? To make a minority of very rich people even richer! To validate this I've seen my fathers medical record showing that he suffered from malnutrition as a baby in the 1930's. So what was the Empire for? For us white working class folks? Cannon fodder and factory fodder and fuck all else. Should'nt WE seek reparation from someone?
Otherwise I refer you to gisade's earlier statement

hahaha Gisade! excellent
Thank you my blacktowhite community for this insight into American history, it does beg a question about the sins of the fathers. In the UK we have a default setting of being sorry to the rest of the world (excluding France & Germany) about our foreign policy over the last 300 years. In my families case we have nothing to be sorry for. By 1900 Britain had the greatest empire the world had ever seen......and also the worst slums in europe. Generations of my ancestors were sent to serve and die in hostile climates all over the globe and to what end? To make a minority of very rich people even richer! To validate this I've seen my fathers medical record showing that he suffered from malnutrition as a baby in the 1930's. So what was the Empire for? For us white working class folks? Cannon fodder and factory fodder and fuck all else. Should'nt WE seek reparation from someone?

And therein lies the slippery slope with reparations- almost every group has a grievance. The Irish could ask for reparations from the BRitish based on The Famine and the lands that were taken from landed Catholic gentry and given to royalists. The Armenians have never received a formal apology from Turkey over the genocide that took place in 1915-16. US immigration policy in the late 19th through mid 20th century was based on pseudo-intellectual theories on race and class that severely limited the number of southern and eastern Europeans (specifically Jews) and Asians (The Chines Exclusion Act of 1882), should those groups be compensated as well?

hahaha Gisade! excellent

And thanks for that insight on British history, which aside from a college class on Victorian England, I am woefully ignorant of. But to answer your question "to what end?", I think your post contained that answer, to serve the interests of mercantilism (at the risk of sounding like Marxist historian Eric Hobsbawm), and Rudyard Kipling's "The White Man's Burden".

Oh hey, didnt black people in Africa and even in America owned slaves too?

And Arabs, and Mongols, and Romans, and Greeks, and Vikings, and Britain serfdom in the Middle Ages was close to slavery, and no end of African tribes whose names I have forgotten, and Turks, and Persians, and Egyptian.

and let's not forget that the great regret of 'many, but not all' Africans today is that their ancestors were not enslaved so they still live in Africa rather than America...

How many people thank the Royal Navy for bringing the transatlantic trade to an end? Certainly not the arabs, or the then African rulers who saw it as interference in trade

http://www.thepoliticalcesspool.org...r-yokes-chains-while-apologizing-for-slavery/

So apperantly now people are doing it in real-life, it moved from fantasy to reality. Perhaps the next step will be families offering their wives and daughters for forgiveness?
Black Men Make Two White Women Get on their Knees and Kiss their Feet for Slavery in Times Square

Who knows what people will go along with... Depends on the people.

Stupidity is protected as freedom of expression under the 1st Amendment.

BTW: To me the idea of reparations has always seemed regressive and not progressive nor advancing to the future and a better way for all. The only times I have even heard it voiced was from hustlers looking for a hand out of other people's money 'just because'.

I also think that notion of reparations is an insult to the Civil Rights movement. The Civil Rights movement was about, among many themes, a section of American society standing and WE BELONG and WE ARE A PART OF AMERICAN LIFE and WE WILL BE ACTIVE IN ALL PARTS OF THE AMERICAN EXPERIENCE OPENLY AS EQUALS. It never said, 'give me free *******'.

The role of the Government should only be to protect the rights and liberties of it's citizens. Up until the Civil Rights movement, the government was using it's resources and power to deny the rights of a whole section of the American population it's equality and deny community and togetherness for Americans. The whole Civil Rights movement made the course of Government action alter so the government had to use it's resources and power to see that the right to belong was enforced.

It is true that all were not treated as belonging and being equal. That was an error and one that needed to be set correct.
Going past that prior point, men (women too of course) are expected to take full measure of their belonging and their liberty and make if their lives all they wish said lives to become. Reparations plays on the notion of differences being exploited for gain, the 'gibs me dat' mentality. This is the same as those who used differences being exploited, the very same ones, as an excuse to not have people united and integrated (the 'keep em out' mindset). One seeking personal payment and others sought division and control wrongly. Both weaken the nation via that action and attitude that is not constructive but instead is damaging.

Any man who says he is owed money for what took place in the far away past needs to realize that, in modern day and form, he is overlooking his hard fought for gifts of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.A handout might seem sweet to the addlepated, just know that it is selling one's self into another sort of bondage to be under that label and to say one is so limited that one needs another to give to that person vs the person working and directing his talents to be whoever he wants and go whereever he wants to get to.

Why do slaves want to be free? For all the freedom offers which bondage cannot give. That is why slaves run away, fight and die for the shot at freedom. If you need another to prop you up with token payments, you are far from free in your life. That is a binding of your own making and he who gives your the payments is he who has the power in certain ways over you.

Ben Franklin said:
‘My friend, the Declaration of Independence only guarantees the American people the right
to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself!’

It is easier for some, surely, to catch it today. Life is not fair nor rosy always. That said, we all now have a shot to make that catch. Why overlook that greatness and just demand a small sum in exchange for admitting that one is not able to go on the pursuit which is so open and accessible?

Well anyone wanting reparations will have a long wait.

We in Europe are still awaiting reparations for the African slave raids on southern Europe that devastated southern Europe and reached as far as Britain during the Dark Ages

Back