New Cherrios Commercial

Has anyone seen the new Cheerios commercial yet?
It stars a black man, a white soccer mom looking wife and a mixed race *******.

The makers of Cheerios had to take off the comments from their site because there were so many "non family friendly" posts. There were so many hatred posts because General Mills used a mixed race family as the stars of their commercial. It made me think.

There have been questions on this site about why so many people are secretive of their BBC or alternative marital lifestyles. Here is one reason. Although many of us understand, accept and enjoy mixed race relations, most of America hasn't progressed as far.

In the seventies, "the Jeffersons" had a mixed race couple, but in that case the man was white and his wife was black. On the show the mixed couple were someone to laugh at. And although America doesn't seem to notice or give value to white man/ black woman relationships, just the thought of a black man being with a white woman angers most Americans.

Few Americans are willing to admit that mixed race relations have existed and enjoyed for a very, very long time. Many Americans have that back woods, red neck mentality that says, "Aint no black man gonna be with no white woman. Aint no way I'm gonna let that happen. It just aint right." What they don't or haven't realized is that when people are very much against something, it makes others want to do it even more.

Although we have many black friends and me and my daughters and my sister and my sister in-law and my nieces have all had black lovers, and even though it is not all that uncommon for a white woman to live with one or more black men, it is not something that most Americans want to accept.

A lot of the hostility, I am sure, comes from white men who are not competent in their own manhood. The men who are most against mixed race relations are probably men who fear that if they accepted mixed race relations that their wives or daughters might want to experience it. They are afraid that the white race will shortly after cease to exist.

On our block, there are 3 other women who live with either one or more black men. On my hubby's ex wife's block there are 2 other white women living with either one of more black men. We live 8 blocks from my hubby's ex. So, in our area, mixed race relations are not uncommon.

I have to wonder why so many white men are into the whole white man/ Asian women relations. I have a feeling it has to do with getting back at the "Japs." I also wonder if the white men who are so afraid of white women being with black men are also afraid of what might happen if they accepted black men as their equals or superiors.

I will admit that there are just as many black people who make others look down on them as there are of any other race. Yet, black men have for a very long time been perceived as a threat to white men.

I have also heard white women say that white women who have sex with black men are just whores. When I have heard this, I have also seen in them a deep desire to be like the women they hate the most . . . the women who are what they are too afraid to be.

I would like to hear your honest and sincere thoughts on this, especially on the commercial.

I have 2 afro american daughters 1 is 14 the other is 16 . i have gotten 3 phone calls from white parents asking me to keep my 16yr old away from there sons.i talked to her and she told me ma they wont leave me or my sister alone.i asked what do you mean she said they keep asking me if i will go out on a date with them.i would love to see the look on his parents face if she said yes.

Change comes in small steps. Way back in the '60's Star Trek broke ground with the first interracial kiss on television, now it's no big deal. In my youth there were no black people in television commercials, then there were a few but the roles were always positive. Now you can have a black person in a commercial being an idiot and nobody says anything. I think General Mills should be commended for being bold enough to take this step. Maybe it didn't fly today but one day it will

Change comes in small steps. Way back in the '60's Star Trek broke ground with the first interracial kiss on television, now it's no big deal. In my youth there were no black people in television commercials, then there were a few but the roles were always positive. Now you can have a black person in a commercial being an idiot and nobody says anything. I think General Mills should be commended for being bold enough to take this step. Maybe it didn't fly today but one day it will
I dont think it would have stopped. any one from eating them they should have left it on.

I thought that Cheerio's commercial was right on ... it's Cheerio's way of saying to the country that the demographics are rapidly changing and we BEST wake up. Why they felt they had to pull that ad makes no sense to me.

As far as all those comments about "race attitudes" ... I think it more depends upon "who's ox is being gored" ... don't you think?

That comment about asian women ... "Japs" ... now THAT is funny. I find all asian women very attractive, and in fact asians in general polite and humbled.

"I have to wonder why so many white men are into the whole white man/ Asian women relations. I have a feeling it has to do with getting back at the "Japs." I also wonder if the white men who are so afraid of white women being with black men are also afraid of what might happen if they accepted black men as their equals or superiors."

Firstly I am one of those white men not afraid of Black men nor do I have the remotest concept of black men as a whole being superior. Some males are clearly more 'alpha' male than others regardless of race.

I was prompted to reply by the comment about white men and Asian women having to do with getting back at the 'japs'. Clearly a provocative statement.

I do not particularly find Chinese/Japanese/Korean women attractive 'as a whole' - there are always exceptions. By contrast Thai/Burmese/Indonesian/Malaysian and Philipino women I regularly find extremely attractive, (never been to Vietnam/Lagos/Cambodia), and they also have 'in my view' an amenable nature, and by that I do not mean submissive just a broader more, philosophical/amused outlook on life. While mixed race Orientals are renowned for their beauty!

Most people these days do not think of 'Japs' in any derogatory or negative way. You would have to be pretty 'old' to have such an attitude.

Working nights and being at the end of my "day", I am to tired right now to go into anything other than the commercial itself right now. It was funny as hell to me because I can see my ******* doing something similar at her age. I am betting anyone who has *******, particularly daughters, can see the humor in it.

I dont think it would have stopped. any one from eating them they should have left it on.
Probably not, but any business is going to be cautious about creating controversy. By the numbers only about 9 percent of Caucasian women have indulged in IR sex, and a much smaller percentage actually get into a long term relationship or marriage with a person of another race. These figures may or may not be accurate but they are what is currently accepted by most of main stream society. That is not a market that anyone is going to pursue at the expense of the rest. I think General Mills made good business choices, first having the courage to create the commercial in the first place, and second for pulling it at least for now. There isn't anyway to know what the long term effects of the commercial will be. Market shares are counted in per cents of a per cent. Something that could create a negative ground swell is just too risky.

Good observation, Torpedo..this reflects one of the reasons I like the site... a lot of smart and literate folks both Black and White are here, and they are making go to a new level. Which in turn will hopefully attract more white women to make the move and transition to IR. One of the contributors, Hedonist Ninja has posted a ton of images of young college white girls, very comfortable, partying in various states of sobriety, and dress with Brothers. This may be a temporary phenomenon, but it indicates that going forward they will be more comfortable then white women were 'back in the day'. When they were curious and tempted but social pressures were in full *******..keep up the well written observations, BtW needs them..osp25

If you are offended by this ad... You have fucking issues. More issues then a library storage area of for old magazines to be precise.

Take a look:

That shows a family where mom and dad [male and female "mom" and "dad". That needs to be specified for some reason in today's age] are both in the home environment as a parental unit, the kid seems outgoing, curious and intelligent and the ending is sort of funny.

The dad and mom both look normal in appearance as well, as in a typical middle class married couple. The man is not a thug rapper and the woman looks cute but is not some girls gone wild club slut obviously.

The ad shows a mixed race FAMILY. Anyone who gets upset at seeing a nice and pleasant family portrayed is nuts...

[BTW, all General Mills major line cereals have GMO foodstuffs in them. None are in any way healthy and many are redefined junk with added sugar and artificial (toxic) vitamins sprayed on. You'd be better off eating the box they come in the the cereals themselves. The commercial is darling and very enjoyable however. Good job to the ad men!]

If you can't handle seeing a mixed family in 2013... You lack any sense of personal identity to be upset over such a matter that is not really your business. When did 'Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?' win the Oscar? Times have not moved on for many people it seems. Oh well...

Business wise, who knows the long term fall out. As it was said, IR couples do exist but same race couples are always present at a higher rate. That is so in nearly all of the world. I wonder if anger arose from the fact the ******* was black and the mom white and if the roles were altered would the upset be as great? Who can say but that is one thought on the subject...

I seem to recall more then a few car commercials with White Males and Asian Women as couples looking to buy cars. I don't recall too much backlash over those... Not from Asians nor Whites or other races. Frankly, I don't think black men are so special that they deserve any 'protest' cum 'outrage' if they are seen with a non black female on TV or in real life. Women are women and men are men. Let people pair up how they wish to and base on how they find one another attractive.

I also don't notice any carping over black famous sports team athletes being photographed at the clubs with many women who are not the same skin color as them... I think the view there is that those hooks ups are just sex only (as if that could never lead to babies) and not serious committed relationship with the aim to make a family. I guess the latter scares some people more then the 'reward sex' of the famous sportsman who is battling for the local team and pleasing the fans by his sporting endeavors.

Did not Shakespeare write Othello, the Moor, a while back addressing some of these same issues? Classic emotional currents never die... Props to Cheerios.

Lastly, the baby was cute and energetic. There is nothing sexual about the baby as she was shown. Know that ******* grow up (duh!) and if that mixed race girl keeps her looks, then in her late teens and early 20s she will be a REAL beauty.

I wonder if many of the naysayers would not also like to get a mixed race young hottie (22 year old lets say) if they saw her at the beach or in a club...If they were honest, many men would say they'd want to tap that ass (again the 22 year old girl). Mixed race women are in general very sexy. Black/Latina combos, Latina/White, Black/White... Many beautiful women are the product of mixed race couples. As are same race couples having good looking offspring but you get my point.

Yet seeing a hottie when she was just a tike, shown with her enact mom and ******* present, in a mirthful TV ad is too much...

SOME PEOPLE! SMH...

Good response Hedonist Ninja, we are living in a world and society that is moving faster then people Black and White can respond to. To call that commercial racist is completely asinine. A mixed race couple, who are good friends of mine, reflect the values of the commercial. People connect and share lives for various reasons, and they move past the society and family restrictions of race, color or ethnicity. For there to be concern or even outrage from the sectors refusing to move forward..the response should be ..FUCK YOU..the world is changing

People (some) get pissed at the Cheerios commercials...

I wonder what, if any, abreaction this would get from those same online complainers?

Fam.jpg

Not sure, is this a Mexican or Latin American character used for commercials..but if the Outraged Citizens Brigade can't respond to this..why do they even bother to worry about Cheerios..osp

A commercial is not a medium for social change, it is a marketing tool to get people to buy a product. There are a lot of ways with the social media today, and television, and the movies to show alternative lifestyles. If I was sitting on the board of directors for a company and the marketing department ran any type of advertisement that pissed off a bunch of people, especially if the pissed off people got organized and vocal, that marketing director would be looking for a new job. Marketing is about selling not alienating anyone.

Thanks for posting the video, Hedonist Ninja.

Like you, I wonder if the level of irrational hate would have been equally intense had the parent's races been reversed. :unsure:

I saw that commercial on TV last night. I thought it was very subtle the way an interracial couple with a bi-racial baby was shown.

"Has anyone seen the new Cheerios commercial yet?"

I think there might be a good chance that the new cheerios commercial has been seen. If there are any more obvious questions you want answered I'd be glad to apply my laser like wit to those dumb arse questions as well.

"Has anyone seen the new Cheerios commercial yet?"

I think there might be a good chance that the new cheerios commercial has been seen. If there are any more obvious questions you want answered I'd be glad to apply my laser like wit to those dumb arse questions as well.

Just so you know, I have only seen it because of a story that was done on it, and I found it in my MSN news in my email. I do not watch much TV. So, it may have seemed like a weird idea that maybe someone may not be a TV watcher. Personally, I like to live life rather than watch others live theirs on the boob tube.

So, I guess the dumbest question I could ask is . . . do you spend the majority or your day, night, life sitting in front of a TV?
No need to answer my "dumb arse" question. That is, unless you have too much of your "laser like wit" and just have to use it.

Just so you know, I have only seen it because of a story that was done on it, and I found it in my MSN news in my email. I do not watch much TV. So, it may have seemed like a weird idea that maybe someone may not be a TV watcher. Personally, I like to live life rather than watch others live theirs on the boob tube.

So, I guess the dumbest question I could ask is . . . do you spend the majority or your day, night, life sitting in front of a TV?
No need to answer my "dumb arse" question. That is, unless you have too much of your "laser like wit" and just have to use it.

:) It looks like you started this thread not 'ukblackmail'

So your idea of 'living life' is not watching TV but for the last 30 years watching other men hump your wife!

Does not put you in a strong position to have a go at what others do with their life

Back